Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hoods & Lens Caps (for Hoods!) for a FA 77 & Lensbaby Velvet 56/1.6

Ok, weird one I know and before you all scream "durrr Bruce!! The FA 77 has an in-built hood already!" hear me out...

I shoot primes, sometimes two cameras at once, and I often make quick lens changes on the job. That means outdoors and nowhere to put the lens down for a change, other than my waist/belt with lens pouches dangling off.
To ensure I make fast switches for the job I typically take all rear and front caps off and have a lens hood mounted on, and then they are placed facing down into the pouch, the lens hood therefore serves two purposes, one it does its job (gives better contrast) but two it allows me to save time from taking front lens caps on and off all day long on the job and instead can place the lens face down in the pouch knowing there is a good deal of safe distance from the front element to the pouch bottom interior.

Not the FA77 hood is useless for this, as it would collapse. The Lensbaby 56/1.6 doesn't come with one (has a 62mm thread), so both lens hoods would have to be screw ons if I was to utilise this time saving technique.
So I'm looking for lenshoods for those lenses but also is it possible to get a lens cap that goes on the hood? That would be much better than screwing on and off lens hoods etc. Can that happen? Is there a way for a lens front cap to click onto the end of the hood?

Cheers!

Bruce

09-04-2018, 11:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. Most rubber collapsible hoods will accept a regular lens cap. I believe my 49mm hood would take a 52mm cap and so forth. But, is a collapsible hood what you are looking for? Some petal hoods are large enough that the cap can fit inside the hood, but the only ones I have that do that are bayonet type.
09-05-2018, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Get yourself some OP/TECH USA double rear caps and piggy-back your primes like this:

It makes switching considerably slicker in my hands.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 09-05-2018 at 12:12 AM.
09-05-2018, 01:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Yes. Most rubber collapsible hoods will accept a regular lens cap. I believe my 49mm hood would take a 52mm cap and so forth. But, is a collapsible hood what you are looking for? Some petal hoods are large enough that the cap can fit inside the hood, but the only ones I have that do that are bayonet type.
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Get yourself some OP/TECH USA double rear caps and piggy-back your primes like this:

It makes switching considerably slicker in my hands.
Yeah I've tried two rubber ones, both are not what I am looking for. One rubber hood was firmish to begin with but then became soft and held no strength at all in retaining the shape when placing back in my pouch. The other whilst firmer would not accept any kinda lens cap or filter, you had to unscrew it for that. But both rubber ones were annoying when fetching and storing the lens inside a smallish pouch, the rubber would grip the sides of the pouch, and often lead to 'turning the lens' over to its side so that the rear element would have contact with the inside (which is not ideal), or were just a teeny bit annoying to get out due to gripping the sides etc.

Sandy, I have those optech caps, I even borrowed the wifes nail varnish to mark the grooved raised bits that indicate where the orange lens marker lines up with, to assist with doing the changes quickly. But that's not really what I'm on about here, I don't even bother with rear lens element protection of any kind when 'on the job', just only when in transportation and storing mode do I cap them.
I learned that for me the quickest lens change possible is to just take a lens off, put it away, take another one out and put it on. Imagine you're in the kitchen and you have your bench top in front of you. You have lenses with no rear caps on with lens hoods on and they are all sitting face down (so rear element to the ceiling) and you just swap and change. That's basically what I do in the field but this time my bench tops are lens pouches afixed to my waist belt;

You can just see my two front pouches in this pic here (and the main K-1 stowaway pouch that is nearest).

The introduction of a optech double lens cap I find slows that process down, I don't worry too much about the rear element as the flap falls fairly well over the pouch, and this is just for when I am 'working' or in a 'session'. Once that time is over, rear lens caps go back on, hoods off, front lens caps on etc.

But I want to see if I can streamline things, get lens hoods onto my Lensbaby 56 and FA 77 that pretty much live there indefinitely. If a lens cap could then go on the lens hood that means less messing with the lens hood, it can stay on for even more occasions.

I guess one thing I could do is build a 'hood' from step up rings. If I go down this route I am now curious if there is some important optical reason to have a ND filter or CPL filter close to the front element, or whether I can attach it to the end of the DIY step up ring hood...

Last edited by BruceBanner; 09-05-2018 at 02:26 AM.
09-05-2018, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was going to recommend the DA 70 hood and cap but then I saw you are using the K-1. I have only used that combination on crop.

Try this maybe?
SIOTI Camera Standard Focus Metal Lens Hood + Cleaning Cloth + Lens Cap for Nikon Canon Sony Fuji Pentax Sumsung Leica Standard Thread Lens (49mm) amazon.com : SIOTI Camera Standard Focus Metal Lens Hood + Cleaning Cloth + Lens Cap for Nikon Canon Sony Fuji Pentax Sumsung Leica Standard Thread Lens (49mm) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

SIOTI Camera Standard Focus Metal Lens Hood + Cleaning Cloth + Lens Cap for Nikon Canon Sony Fuji Pentax Sumsung Leica Standard Thread Lens (62mm) amazon.com : SIOTI Camera Standard Focus Metal Lens Hood + Cleaning Cloth + Lens Cap for Nikon Canon Sony Fuji Pentax Sumsung Leica Standard Thread Lens (62mm) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

---------- Post added 09-05-18 at 06:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yeah I've tried two rubber ones, both are not what I am looking for. One rubber hood was firmish to begin with but then became soft and held no strength at all in retaining the shape when placing back in my pouch. The other whilst firmer would not accept any kinda lens cap or filter, you had to unscrew it for that. But both rubber ones were annoying when fetching and storing the lens inside a smallish pouch, the rubber would grip the sides of the pouch, and often lead to 'turning the lens' over to its side so that the rear element would have contact with the inside (which is not ideal), or were just a teeny bit annoying to get out due to gripping the sides etc.

Sandy, I have those optech caps, I even borrowed the wifes nail varnish to mark the grooved raised bits that indicate where the orange lens marker lines up with, to assist with doing the changes quickly. But that's not really what I'm on about here, I don't even bother with rear lens element protection of any kind when 'on the job', just only when in transportation and storing mode do I cap them.
I learned that for me the quickest lens change possible is to just take a lens off, put it away, take another one out and put it on. Imagine you're in the kitchen and you have your bench top in front of you. You have lenses with no rear caps on with lens hoods on and they are all sitting face down (so rear element to the ceiling) and you just swap and change. That's basically what I do in the field but this time my bench tops are lens pouches afixed to my waist belt;

You can just see my two front pouches in this pic here (and the main K-1 stowaway pouch that is nearest).

The introduction of a optech double lens cap I find slows that process down, I don't worry too much about the rear element as the flap falls fairly well over the pouch, and this is just for when I am 'working' or in a 'session'. Once that time is over, rear lens caps go back on, hoods off, front lens caps on etc.

But I want to see if I can streamline things, get lens hoods onto my Lensbaby 56 and FA 77 that pretty much live there indefinitely. If a lens cap could then go on the lens hood that means less messing with the lens hood, it can stay on for even more occasions.

I guess one thing I could do is build a 'hood' from step up rings. If I go down this route I am now curious if there is some important optical reason to have a ND filter or CPL filter close to the front element, or whether I can attach it to the end of the DIY step up ring hood...

I use the op tech double caps on single lenses. I pull off a lens, mount the cap plus lens to that one then pull the new lens and mount it. I find this works better than having two lenses together for speed.

I wouldn't put the filter out at the end, I suspect you will want to shade it as much as possible to avoid flare and other similar light induced issues.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-05-2018 at 03:56 AM.
09-05-2018, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OP/TECH USA makes a "hood hat" of stretchy neoprene that goes over top a metal or plastic tulip-style hood. It is deep = it will cover most or all the length of the hood (= it will cover a tulip-hood cut-outs). Comes in small-medium-large sizes.
09-06-2018, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
OP/TECH USA makes a "hood hat" of stretchy neoprene that goes over top a metal or plastic tulip-style hood. It is deep = it will cover most or all the length of the hood (= it will cover a tulip-hood cut-outs). Comes in small-medium-large sizes.
I like leaving the hoods on my lenses. I used to try and find lens caps that would fit the end of the hood, but most of them could get knocked off too easily. So I switched to using the OP/TECH hood hats.

09-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I was going to recommend the DA 70 hood and cap but then I saw you are using the K-1. I have only used that combination on crop.

Try this maybe?
SIOTI Camera Standard Focus Metal Lens Hood + Cleaning Cloth + Lens Cap for Nikon Canon Sony Fuji Pentax Sumsung Leica Standard Thread Lens (49mm) amazon.com : SIOTI Camera Standard Focus Metal Lens Hood + Cleaning Cloth + Lens Cap for Nikon Canon Sony Fuji Pentax Sumsung Leica Standard Thread Lens (49mm) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

SIOTI Camera Standard Focus Metal Lens Hood + Cleaning Cloth + Lens Cap for Nikon Canon Sony Fuji Pentax Sumsung Leica Standard Thread Lens (62mm) amazon.com : SIOTI Camera Standard Focus Metal Lens Hood + Cleaning Cloth + Lens Cap for Nikon Canon Sony Fuji Pentax Sumsung Leica Standard Thread Lens (62mm) : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

---------- Post added 09-05-18 at 06:54 AM ----------

I use the op tech double caps on single lenses. I pull off a lens, mount the cap plus lens to that one then pull the new lens and mount it. I find this works better than having two lenses together for speed.

I wouldn't put the filter out at the end, I suspect you will want to shade it as much as possible to avoid flare and other similar light induced issues.
Thanks for those links, yeah that looks exactly what I am looking for, caps that fit on the end of hoods, awesome thanks!

And yeah that's what I did when I did use my double lens caps, have just one on and try and practice a method that allowed me to take the lens of the camera, put it on the empty side of the optech cap and then take the other lens off and put on camera. But really no matter how much practice I gave I was just plain quicker with taking a lens off, dropping into pouch and reaching for a new lens. That just comes with a trade off of having to be extra careful with the rear element, but if the pouch is deep I think it feels pretty safe swapping.

The two filters I'd use are a ND and CPL, so yeah might not be idea to add a filter to the end of a hood, some situations I don't think it would overly matter (dimly dankly waterfall locations), but other times such as landscape work, yeah might be an issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I like leaving the hoods on my lenses. I used to try and find lens caps that would fit the end of the hood, but most of them could get knocked off too easily. So I switched to using the OP/TECH hood hats.
The Hood hats look great! Two issues tho... one I live in Australia, so I am at the mercy of crossing my fingers and hoping I get the right size and fit for my lens, be a shame if I order ones that are overly tight or too loose. Secondly, they add quite a bit of bulk to the lens. Some of my lenses have a 'snug' fit already when in the pouch, adding more thickness to them might make storing them inside impossible or awkward. But again maybe not, it's one of those things I'd love to test in person, with my pouches in store. They don't seem to pricey tho, might chuck one in the basket during the next B&H order

Thanks for the help chaps!
09-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Some of my lenses have a 'snug' fit already when in the pouch, adding more thickness to them might make storing them inside impossible or awkward.!
Another possible bother: If your lens pouch is already tight and you insert a lens with hood cap end first, chances are when you next pull out the lens the hood cap will pull off and stay in the bottom of the pouch. It sure would be nice if things were always perfect.
09-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you considered adding press on tear caps so after the change you just snap them on to protect the rear element. Rear element scratches are much worse than front.
09-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another possible bother: If your lens pouch is already tight and you insert a lens with hood cap end first, chances are when you next pull out the lens the hood cap will pull off and stay in the bottom of the pouch. It sure would be nice if things were always perfect.
Ah lens caps are just for transportation, they don't live in the pouch when 'working'.

Have you considered adding press on tear caps so after the change you just snap them on to protect the rear element. Rear element scratches are much worse than front.
Those are my favourite kinda rear element cap and I do tend to use them the most, and indeed you're right that rear element is more important than the front, so if there are times I think there's a chance that just putting them in the pouch face down rear element facing up with no protection is a bit dodgy then I do indeed whack a tear cap over it for additional peace of mind. It really depends on the situation I'm in whether I really need speed and quick change (concert photo pit) vs something like a bush walk, uneven ground, walking through twigs and branches, rain drops etc.
09-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

After you get some standard metal lens hoods, use some Schneider/B+W push-on lens caps on top of them. Measure the outside diameter of the hood and order the correct size. They come in all kinds of sizes, from tiny to huge 115mm (biggest one I own).

09-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
After you get some standard metal lens hoods, use some Schneider/B+W push-on lens caps on top of them. Measure the outside diameter of the hood and order the correct size. They come in all kinds of sizes, from tiny to huge 115mm (biggest one I own).
You can also find generic ones on ebay like this. I used a huge one (105mm? 115mm? on my A* 85 but an old tupperware lid was the best fit.
09-13-2018, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

You can also find generic ones on ebay like this. I used a huge one (105mm? 115mm? on my A* 85 but an old tupperware lid was the best fit.
well, that's another solution. Very good indeed if the front element is nowhere near as in this case, because tupperware lids aren't as rigid as these caps. I guess one would have to go to the store like a freak with all the lenses with their shades on and start to measure them out. :Crazy:

09-13-2018, 06:42 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
well, that's another solution. Very good indeed if the front element is nowhere near as in this case, because tupperware lids aren't as rigid as these caps. I guess one would have to go to the store like a freak with all the lenses with their shades on and start to measure them out. :Crazy:
Back in the 70's Tupperware came to you...lol. The eBay caps I got were tougher, thicker plastic but not rigid.