Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #16
LSR

I think something like a solid wire frame with wheels that the bags could snap into to convert them to rolling bags would have been a good idea, carrying a bag is fine most of the time but for some reason at airports I much prefer rolling bags.

09-24-2018, 04:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LSR Quote
I think something like a solid wire frame with wheels that the bags could snap into to convert them to rolling bags would have been a good idea, carrying a bag is fine most of the time but for some reason at airports I much prefer rolling bags.
Looking at the bag next to a "carry-on" suitcase, they decided to use the empty space created by the wheels to generate more volume for the bag. Adding a handle and wheels would make it too big.

Making a bag/suitcase would be, I believe, the worst of both worlds. Heavier, more cumbersome, and not as flexible. There are already some rolling backpacks on the market and they are all uncomfortable in my experience.
09-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #18
LSR

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Looking at the bag next to a "carry-on" suitcase, they decided to use the empty space created by the wheels to generate more volume for the bag. Adding a handle and wheels would make it too big.

Making a bag/suitcase would be, I believe, the worst of both worlds. Heavier, more cumbersome, and not as flexible. There are already some rolling backpacks on the market and they are all uncomfortable in my experience.
I was thinking more of an external piece like a cart that the bag could be snapped into to make it into a rolling suitcase, then removed when not needed. I would call that a more flexible bag system.

I do agree, rolling bags and backpacks are in my opinion horrible to carry around as a camera bag. Making the handle/frame/wheels removable would be a better idea if it were well constructed. Just my humble opinion though.

There are hundreds of bags very similar to the bag system they present already, I got bored looking at their kickstarter page because I had seen almost all of it before.
09-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was thinking more of an external piece like a cart that the bag could be snapped into to make it into a rolling suitcase, then removed when not needed. I would call that a more flexible bag system.

I do agree, rolling bags and backpacks are in my opinion horrible to carry around as a camera bag. Making the handle/frame/wheels removable would be a better idea if it were well constructed. Just my humble opinion though.
I understood. I own a case like this, not a backpack but a rectangular case which opens at the top. I use it for my studio flashes and accessories, in fact.

The limitation of this are that the removable apparatus ads bulk and weight. Where do you put it when you remove it? Inside? It's going to be heavy. And take up a lot of space.

I believe you either go with a rolling suitcase or a backpack.

There are hundreds of bags very similar to the bag system they present already, I got bored looking at their kickstarter page because I had seen almost all of it before.
Fair enough. I do think the bag packs a few interesting innovations. The pivots for the shoulder and hip straps, coupled with how well they can be stored, are examples. However, in general terms, a new product can integrate past ideas. What I look for in a new product is not necessarily that everything is new, but rather that everything is well executed, ideally executed better than in the past.

In this particular case, the bags comes around as a very well-thought product. The interest does not lie in the general aspects of the bag, but in all the details that make it work very well. The accessories are also things that existed before. Most have their little twists (expandable packing cubes with pull tabs for quicker opening, shelved dividers in the camera cubes, etc).

09-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like PD stuff, but it's a bit out of my range unfortunately. Settled on their Slide system, and bought Manfrotto/Kata bags for my cameras.
09-30-2018, 02:28 AM   #21
Pentaxian

The 45L bag has a very thought through design. It definitely ticks a lot of boxes.

However, if $420 for the bag with medium and small insets (for some flexibility) isn't expensive then I don't know what is.

If one would get at least uncompromised quality but apparently not all zippers on the bag are by YKK and a reviewer had one of the zippers on their Peak Design bag fail.

I still haven't seen anything that would work better for me than my Kata 3N1-30.
10-01-2018, 05:04 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I concurr about the good design.

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
However, if $420 for the bag with medium and small insets (for some flexibility) isn't expensive then I don't know what is.
I also agree it's an expensive product. Not your average Amazon Basics product.

If one would get at least uncompromised quality but apparently not all zippers on the bag are by YKK
1-Apparently some prototypes got zippers that are different from the final product

2-Prototype reviewers got a list of things that will be changed/adjusted, and zipper pathways is one of them.

3-Saying "not all zippers are YKK" is like saying "not all cars are Toyota". There are other good zippers on this planet

and a reviewer had one of the zippers on their Peak Design bag fail.
Having a zipper fail is a bad thing for sure. The company honors their lifetime warranty, at least. I know that some early models of their Messenger bags had failures, which were quickly fixed and adjustments made. I wouldn't worry overmuch about failures on prototypes, I'd worry if the company didn't work hard to fine-tune the design prior to shipping.

10-01-2018, 08:03 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Well, I went to Photokina last Saturday and I visited the Peak Design people. I met up with one of their permanent staff who walked me through the whole Travel range.

I must admit I was impressed with the system. The main bag is really well made, with excellent access and it looks nice and carries well. It *is* big and relatively heavy though, and that's without any inserts loaded. I love the way the bag can expand and the way the straps can be tucked away (better than in my Manfrotto/Kata 3N1 35 PL). The camera cubes are excellent and the new dividers really shine (best ever)! The packing inserts are really well made as well and very light weight. And of course, as usual, Peak Design selected some great materials to make the bags out of.

I cannot see myself buy into the entire system just yet, since my current travel needs do not really require a system this large that would allow for both camera gear and all other stuff in the same bag. I *never* check in my camera gear when flying, and I carry too much other stuff for a bag containing all to remain within carry-on limitations. Also, regardless of the excellent build of the camera cubes, I do not see myself take out and use any of the three camera cubes as a separate bag. These *could* probably be used as excellent shoulder bags, but that's not my thing (I regularly hike on relatively difficult terrain)... OTOH, I don't think they come with their own straps (could be wrong), and I'm also not sure Peak Design's otherwise excellent camera straps would be sufficient to carry a heavily loaded medium or large cube (the small one would probably be OK)...

*However*, upon returning home, I did pre-order the Tech Pouch immediately! This can be inserted into any bag of course, and as such it will be going with me on every trip. It is so practical for all the small stuff and cables and... that I tend to carry around. And... come to think of it, it could even nicely fit the GR III that I hope to own in the near future (love at first sight that!).

And... I will be keeping an eye on all future additions to the line that might bring it more within my personal needs. I do like what they are doing here!

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 10-01-2018 at 10:28 AM.
10-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
It *is* big
Yep. Finely tuned to carry as much as possible without checking the bag.

and relatively heavy though
Strange, I haven't found it heavy. It's roughly the same weight as a Think Tank shape shifter 17, and 0.8 lbs heavier than a Mindshift Gear Horizon (two large camera backpacks). Manfrotto's Off Road Hiker 30 is much smaller but also close to the same weight. Of course you have to add the cubes but the bag is bigger than any of the ones I mention. To me it's within expectations.

the way the straps can be tucked away
That's one of the main perks of the bag IMHO.

I cannot see myself buy into the entire system just yet, since my current travel needs do not really require a system this large that would allow for both camera gear and all other stuff in the same bag. I *never* check in my camera gear when flying, and I carry too much other stuff for a bag containing all to remain within carry-on limitations.
This bag has been designed for people who travel light. The kind of people who can fit two weeks' worth of clothes in one medium packing cube. My wife would go crazy trying to do that, I'd have a hard time but could manage it, some love to do so.

OTOH, I don't think they come with their own straps (could be wrong), and I'm also not sure Peak Design's otherwise excellent camera straps would be sufficient to carry a heavily loaded medium or large cube (the small one would probably be OK)...
The cubes don't come with a strap, nope. Many models of external straps will fit. Peak Design's strap is rated for 200 lbs so should be ok.

*However*, upon returning home, I did pre-order the Tech Pouch immediately! This can be inserted into any bag of course, and as such it will be going with me on every trip. It is so practical for all the small stuff and cables and... that I tend to carry around. And... come to think of it, it could even nicely fit the GR III that I hope to own in the near future
Yep, the tech pouch can serve as a small camera carry case. Attach two anchor clips and a strap and you have a minimalist sling, perfect for a compact camera or even a tiny mirrorless.

And... I will be keeping an eye on all future additions to the line that might bring it more within my personal needs. I do like what they are doing here!
They announced two duffle bags, to ship somewhere in April, to go alongside the backpack in their line. Same strap system, same packing units logic, more minimalist product (it's a duffle, not a proper backpack). Less expensive, also.