Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2018, 05:00 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
Same with mine, apparently 540s are slowly reaching EOL
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
AF540FGZ or AF540FGZ II?

The OP has the newer version. As such, it would be less than five years old.

I am wondering if their flash sustained physical damage at some point.

Steve
As Steve mentioned, I'm curious, too, pentageek, to know which version you're talking about. Could you please elaborate on this?

09-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
I've found a few reviews on B&H, Amazon,
I checked those before I posted and found two low reviews (less than 3 stars) at B&H, zero at Adorama, and zero at Amazon. Amazon is notable in that at least one buyer indicated their purchase was gray market (sold outside authorized channels).

aikilink mentioned here
Theirs is a different model flash (AF540FGZ) than yours.

I'm sympathetic to your problem and am surprised that you had failures of two units in two years. It almost makes one wonder about a bad batch, though evidence of pervasive quality issues with this flash (AF540FGZ II) in the market as a whole is not obvious. If there was a pattern, this forum would be full of rants; trust me on that.

FWIW, the only Pentax flash I own is a AF280T and even after ~35 years it still functions flawlessly. For P-TTL, I have a Sigma EF-610 DG Super that I got for half the price of an equivalent Pentax flash and which I purchased despite poor reviews on this site. It has functioned, trouble-free, for almost five years. I also have a couple of Yongnuo YN560 III along with a YN560-TX II. Aside from the AF280T, I am not a Pentax flash fanboy. I consider them to be poor value at their current price point.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-13-2018 at 08:47 AM.
09-13-2018, 08:32 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I checked those before I posted.

Theirs is a different model flash (AF540FGZ) than yours.

I'm sympathetic to your problem and am surprised that you had failures of two units in two years. It almost makes one wonder about a bad batch, though evidence of pervasive quality issues with this flash (AF540FGZ II) in the market as a whole is elusive.

Steve
I'm sure I read some other threads somewhere else about this issue before I posted, but can't recall where.

I forgot to ask about where or whom to contact in Ricoh/Pentax about this problem.

09-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I forgot to ask about where or whom to contact in Ricoh/Pentax about this problem.
Good question. If you bought locally, that store would know. If you bought online, Ricoh Japan might be your option.

Steve

09-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
The plastic battery doors do wear but are easily replaceable for $4.95
That is so very amazing. It is one thing to have a reported weakness. It is quite another to provide the needed part at a (fairly) reasonable price.

Steve
09-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could you please elaborate on this?
Sure. First of all, thank you for pointing out that OP uses 540 II - mine is Mark I. There is one thing in this story which I find disturbing - much younger unit (540 II) apparently may suffer from the same problems as Mark I, what suggests some design or manufacturing shortcomings. Of course root causes can be different, but there is no way to tell it without sending both units to repair facility.