Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FYI, Kata was purchased by Manfrotto, and they continue to produce some of the Kata bags. I just went and had a look at their offering on their site and I think your bag might be part of the current "Advanced" series of shoulder bags. It might be the same as the A7? Have a look. If you found your bag the perfect bag for you, why not get the same bag again. Well... with the yellow Kata colours replaced by the red and grey of Manfrotto of course...

Actually, among my many bags (Lowepro, Peak Design, Thinktank), I have another ex-Kata bag made by Manfrotto (the 3N1 35 PL), and I actually find the Manfrotto version slightly better made...

hth, Wim

PS: my most used shoulder bags are the Peak Design Everyday Messenger 15 and the Thinktank Retrospective 5. I especially like the Thinktank Retrospective series as traditional shoulder bags, though I find the design looks better for smaller sizes. Thinktank has just released an update to the series that I'm looking forward to trying out... The Peak Design is great too, but it takes a bit of getting used to, and it seems the design is of the hate-it-or-love-it kind. I'm with the love-it BTW.

Last edited by Ishpuini; 09-13-2018 at 07:38 AM.
09-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Without naming any brand, look for a bag that does NOT use D-rings either for direct attachment of the shoulder strap or for attaching the strap via swivel clips. INSTEAD look for a bag that has a permanently attached shoulder sewn-on strap, or even better, a bag in which the shoulder strap is permanently attached AND goes all the way under the bag
Or add such a strap to the Kata. Any commercial sewer could do it.
09-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I like insulated lunch bags because:
- padded
- waterproof
- doesn't look like it's worth stealing
- super cheap
- readily available
09-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

As was already mentioned, maybe the d-ring attachment can be repaired, otherwise I would recommend LowePro camera bags or backpacks. I have the LowePro Flipside 400 AW backpack, which is really nice and has been able to be placed under the seat in front of me in most instances on domestic airline flights.

09-13-2018, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Today I had a few spare minutes (rarely happens) so I swung into the local camera store. Yes, we have one left, still ran by the man who owned it when I purchased the original Kata bag all those years ago, but sadly, due to a death in the family, he was forced to sell to a larger chain.

Long story short, he had a couple of the Lowepro bags left from new stock (no longer carries them), but they had defects of one sort or another. Then I saw the Ape case, new old stock. He was more than willing to sell it to me discounted $60 off his sticker price. Stopping by now and then to talk cameras has it's advantages, he shoots Nikon digital, but is a huge fan of the Pentax 645 and 67 (has several of each).

I've decided to take the Kata to a seamstress for repair, so that'll give me two bags.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-14-2018, 03:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I also have the Peak Design Everyday Messenger 13, and although it is a different form factor from Tony's original post, it is very useful. It is probably the bag I will take to Antarctica, because it comfortably fits my DFA150-450.
Wow, on camera? I've been thinking about a messenger style bag to carry that behemoth on camera. Are the sides padded?
09-14-2018, 04:54 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
I've been thinking about a messenger style bag to carry that behemoth on camera.
When on its side, it will fit in the Peak Design Everyday Messenger or Think Tank Signature. I can look up the larger Retrospective also. I was even able to comfortably fit this combo inside PD's Everyday Sling, although it mostly filled the bag:

In fact it's one of the most comfortable ways of carrying this combo that I've found. When testing the 150-450, I usually went out with only that lens, and the Sling was my bag of choice.

09-14-2018, 06:14 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Wow, on camera?
No. When I'm shooting I wear the camera on a sling, with a lens on it. The bag is for transport. I would never expect a bag to carry such a huge lens on camera.
QuoteQuote:
Are the sides padded?
Yes, the sides are (sort of) padded. But that's what bags are.
09-14-2018, 06:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
When on its side, it will fit in the Peak Design Everyday Messenger or Think Tank Signature. I can look up the larger Retrospective also. I was even able to comfortably fit this combo inside PD's Everyday Sling, although it mostly filled the bag:

In fact it's one of the most comfortable ways of carrying this combo that I've found. When testing the 150-450, I usually went out with only that lens, and the Sling was my bag of choice.
Thanks!
09-15-2018, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

After trying to figure out which camera bag works best (for me) and trying, aluminum cases, leather cases, ballistic nylon cases, etc....backpacks, conventional bags, etc...a few years ago I bought a Domke F2 Original. It was really good...so much so, that I bought another F2. One is black, one is olive green. They're colour coded...Olive- K1, black- K5...and accessories, lenses, flashes, etc.

I'm very happy with them, rugged, well built, roomy, versatile for different loads, comfortable and just as important...well thought out in conception and execution. I highly recommend the Domke F2 Original.

http://https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=r...981&

EDIT: Well looks like you got another bag, congrats .
09-17-2018, 09:12 PM   #26
Forum Member

If you bought the bag new and registered it with them, you can send it back and they will repair/replace it for free.
09-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to do some comparisons of them the next couple of days. I thought about having it repaired, but next month I’m doing a two week excursion up into the badlands of Montana and North Dakota. I want to make sure I’ve got something rugged enough to handle the hiking and walking. (Plus the ever-so important pictures of my newborn granddaughter!)
Well, if you are driving I94 between Montana and North Dakota, Makoshika State Park in Glendive, MT is well worth a stop. If you are in Billings, you can be in Yellowstone in a little over 2 hours. wtlwdwagon lives there and The Camera Cottage in Billings actually sell Pentax cameras!!! Custer Battlefield just off of I90 is a sobering visit too. The losers lost their lives and the winners lost their way of life. Being October, keep a sharp eye on the weather forecasts.

Edited to add, Congratulations on the new grandchild. If it is your first, the promotion to grandparent is the best one you will ever get in your entire life.
09-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
After trying to figure out which camera bag works best (for me) and trying, aluminum cases, leather cases, ballistic nylon cases, etc....backpacks, conventional bags, etc...a few years ago I bought a Domke F2 Original. It was really good...so much so, that I bought another F2. One is black, one is olive green. They're colour coded...Olive- K1, black- K5...and accessories, lenses, flashes, etc.

I'm very happy with them, rugged, well built, roomy, versatile for different loads, comfortable and just as important...well thought out in conception and execution. I highly recommend the Domke F2 Original.

http://https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=r...981&

EDIT: Well looks like you got another bag, congrats .
I like the look of the Domke bags and I had one years ago (don't remember which one though). The bag I bought ultimately fits in a space in my work vehicle, the same space my old bag would fit in, so I am able to take a camera kit with me to work and have it protected.

---------- Post added 09-26-2018 at 05:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well, if you are driving I94 between Montana and North Dakota, Makoshika State Park in Glendive, MT is well worth a stop. If you are in Billings, you can be in Yellowstone in a little over 2 hours. wtlwdwagon lives there and The Camera Cottage in Billings actually sell Pentax cameras!!! Custer Battlefield just off of I90 is a sobering visit too. The losers lost their lives and the winners lost their way of life. Being October, keep a sharp eye on the weather forecasts.

Edited to add, Congratulations on the new grandchild. If it is your first, the promotion to grandparent is the best one you will ever get in your entire life.
I grew up in southwest North Dakota on highway 12, but haven't been back in many years. We're going to do a bit of sight seeing in Wyoming on the way up, and hopefully get to see some of Montana which I haven't in years. I may sneak into the Camera Cottage and I've never been to Custer Battlefield, so that'll be on the list.