Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera bag replacement suggestions.

Early this morning, as I was leaving work, I grabbed my camera bag from my car and put it in my truck. When I did, I thought to myself, this has been the perfect camera bag, it holds everything I need for a quick outing and I'd be hard pressed to find something else as good if something happened to my bag.

Well... This afternoon, when I grabbed my bag, the D-ring ripped out of the loop on the side of the bag. I was able to grab it so it didn't take a hard fall on the pavement.

My bag is a Kata DC 445

My general outing includes: (and fits in this bag perfectly) a digital camera with lens attached, a film camera with lens attached, two additional lenses, a few rolls of film, extra batteries and SD cards, plus some other odds and ends. The Kata is weather resistant and comes with a rain sleeve.

I have other bags for single cameras, a backpack and a couple of hard cases, but this was my daily user.

What are others using and what's available in a similar size?

09-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My largest bag, which would fit what you're describing nicely, is a think tank retrospective 30. It fits two cameras with zoom lenses attached side by side, lens down.
09-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just use a cheap Workzone tool bag that I purchased from ALDI for about $25. It holds my K-1 with 15-30 mm lens plus the D FA*50 mm and a few others, as well as being able to secure my monopod to the side. Works Great. I put some foam in the hard tray bottom in order to provide some cushioning.
09-12-2018, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about getting it repaired?

Looking at images on the web, it looks very similar in size and configuration to my LowePro Nova 4 AW, which is also my favourite carry.

09-12-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Lowepro Nova 180 AW II inside dimensions are pretty close to your Kata's dimensions. The ProTactic 180 AWII dimensions look just a bit bigger.
09-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to do some comparisons of them the next couple of days. I thought about having it repaired, but next month I’m doing a two week excursion up into the badlands of Montana and North Dakota. I want to make sure I’ve got something rugged enough to handle the hiking and walking. (Plus the ever-so important pictures of my newborn granddaughter!)
09-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Peak design, very good quality and ergonomic.
Everyday Sling 10L | Peak Design

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/peak-design-everyday-sling-bag/conclusion.html
or
https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/peak-design-everyday-messenger/internal-design.html

09-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #8
Brooke Meyer

I keep finding clean, used Lowe Pro Nova5 AW's for around $30, up to 4 now ( working camera bag, speed light bag, grip bag and until I sell it, MF Film bag). The AW version has a hidden pocket for an attached rain cover.

Also have a LowePro Nova 4 AW which would probably suit you. My first was a Nova 3 which I still use for legacy gear in class presentations. You can't kill these things.
09-13-2018, 03:40 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Without naming any brand, look for a bag that does NOT use D-rings either for direct attachment of the shoulder strap or for attaching the strap via swivel clips. INSTEAD look for a bag that has a permanently attached shoulder sewn-on strap, or even better, a bag in which the shoulder strap is permanently attached AND goes all the way under the bag
09-13-2018, 04:54 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Looking at images on the web, it looks very similar in size and configuration to my LowePro Nova 4 AW, which is also my favourite carry.
Does this bag fit the K1 with the DFA 70-200mm mounted?
09-13-2018, 05:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
What are others using and what's available in a similar size?
My favourite messenger bag is the Peak Design Everyday Messenger 15.

Close behind (and maybe equivalent if you don't use Peak Design's Capture Clip) are Think Tank's Signature 13 and Retrospective 30 (I like the Signature better). Mindshift Gear (Think Tank's sister company) also offers a messenger, which I have never tested but which has many interesting features, the Exposure 15.

Many other companies offer messenger-style bags. Lowepro, Manfrotto and Tenba come to mind. You'll get more basic designs, but good quality from these companies.
09-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dericali Quote
Does this bag fit the K1 with the DFA 70-200mm mounted?
No. It only just fits the DFA*70-200 on its own.
I bet Tony's bag wouldn't either.
09-13-2018, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have the Peak Design Everyday Messenger 13, and although it is a different form factor from Tony's original post, it is very useful. It is probably the bag I will take to Antarctica, because it comfortably fits my DFA150-450.
09-13-2018, 05:53 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No. It only just fits the DFA*70-200 on its own.
I bet Tony's bag wouldn't either.
Nope, it won’t fit the Kata either.

When I travel, I have a Pelican case, but they aren’t exactly practical to carry when walking.
09-13-2018, 07:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I use a Canon shoulder bag 1EG as my daily bag. The thing holds an amazing amount of stuff and is well made. ... yep, its plumb full of Pentax cameras and lenses.... go figure.