Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L Plate with 3/8 for QR Plate?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm drifting further and further away from Arca swiss heads, I've not had the best experience with the ones I've used, thinking the camera is inside, tighten the knob only to realise it wasn't actually in at all and the camera falls! (luckily I am a stealth ninja and catch the camera every time ).
I also find them overkill for my needs, not using many large lenses etc. I also monopod a lot so I find the arcaswiss docking time too lengthy, a Joby QR plate/head or SILK far quicker and easier.

But I'm missing not shooting some of my landscape stuff in portrait orientation. How I wish camera manufacturers would add a 3/8 screw hole in the side of the cameras allowing for low profile QR plates to be docked there also!

A thought did occur... is there anyway to get a L plate that might somehow have a 3/8 hole in the side and bottom to take QR plates?

Or perhaps some other non arca swiss style L plate that is a quick release system for another kinda system (Manfrotto perhaps?)?

Cheers,

Bruce

09-29-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about a snap-in type Arca-Swiss clamp (assuming those are still made)? The lever type is another option. If the lever does not tension, then the plate is not seated.

Steve
09-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How about a snap-in type Arca-Swiss clamp (assuming those are still made)?
Gitzo Series 5 Quick Release Adapter D Profile GS5760D B&H Photo

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1088258-REG/kessler_crane_mg1001_kwik..._receiver.html

Steve
09-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I have this one and think it is just what you are asking for.

09-30-2018, 10:18 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
How about a snap-in type Arca-Swiss clamp (assuming those are still made)? The lever type is another option. If the lever does not tension, then the plate is not seated.

Steve
Thanks for those suggestions Steve, I did think about them at one point, then I noted how once you go from a twisty knob to a lever the price sky rockets.
The SLIK heads I have also have a lever mechanism, no doubt about it, I way prefer levers than knobs, and at least the SLIK heads are cheap and I find them more than adequate for holding my gear in place. I'm not overly fond of the QR plates for the SLIK heads I have however, they are forever 'slipping' and coming loose on the camera and speedlights I attach them to, I think it's the cork dampeners... not the best grippy material.
Anyway, the idea was to put either one of these QR plates on each side of the L plate or perhaps a Joby QR plate...

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlosU Quote
I have this one and think it is just what you are asking for.
That is what I'm talking about, a bit pricey tho, and it looks like I would have to move over my entire range of ball heads and quick release system to that design? I'm actually at a bit of a loss what is compatible then with this L Plate, I'll try and look into that myself but feel free to weigh in with any experience you have

EDIT: So it looks like this new head; https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1432354-REG/manfrotto_mh490_bh_490_center_ball.html and these two current ballheads are compatible;

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660321-REG/Manfrotto_496RC2_496RC2_Co...Ball_Head.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/660319-REG/Manfrotto_494RC2_494_Mini_Ball_Head.html

Last edited by BruceBanner; 09-30-2018 at 10:33 PM.
09-30-2018, 10:51 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Thanks for those suggestions Steve, I did think about them at one point, then I noted how once you go from a twisty knob to a lever the price sky rockets.
The SLIK heads I have also have a lever mechanism, no doubt about it, I way prefer levers than knobs, and at least the SLIK heads are cheap and I find them more than adequate for holding my gear in place. I'm not overly fond of the QR plates for the SLIK heads I have however, they are forever 'slipping' and coming loose on the camera and speedlights I attach them to, I think it's the cork dampeners... not the best grippy material.
Anyway, the idea was to put either one of these QR plates on each side of the L plate or perhaps a Joby QR plate...
You can have inexpensive
You can have convenient
You can have durable

Choose two...note that high price is not an indication of either durability or convenience.

QR clamps are one of the least costly elements of camera support. One only needs one per tripod head. Compare that to plates which are usually one per body and one per each of the longer/heavier lenses. Arca-Swiss plate are incredibly cost effective and most are cross-compatible between clamp brands. They are virtually universal.*

I suspect your L-plate was not inexpensive. Why scrimp on the clamp that allows for professional convenience and durability.

Steve

(...am personally not fond of the Manfrotto or Slik QR systems despite owning products from both companies...)

* I say virtually because I have a plate designed for small cameras that is cut funny. It works with a clamp from the same maker, but not with other makes. I keep it because it is the only plate I could find that works with my Bessa R3M.
10-01-2018, 09:08 PM   #7

That is what I'm talking about, a bit pricey tho, and it looks like I would have to move over my entire range of ball heads and quick release system to that design? I'm actually at a bit of a loss what is compatible then with this L Plate, I'll try and look into that myself but feel free to weigh in with any experience you have

EDIT: So it looks like this new head; Manfrotto MH490-BH 490 Center Ball Head MH490-BH B&H Photo Video and these two current ballheads are compatible;

Manfrotto 496RC2 Compact Ball Head with 200PL-14 Quick 496RC2

Manfrotto 494RC2 Mini Ball Head with 200PL-14 Quick 494RC2 B&H
Any Manfrotto head with RC2 quick release works with the Q2 L plate. It solved the problems I had changing from horizontal to vertical when using my 100 macro.
At macro distances, with the camera mounted directly to the head (496RC2 by the way), changing from horizontal to vertical orientation ends with a totally different image, so I have to recompose by moving the whole tripod, really bothersome.
With the Q2 L plate mounted on the camera and carefully adjusted, changing orientation takes just seconds and the center of the image remains the same.

10-02-2018, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You can have inexpensive
You can have convenient
You can have durable

Choose two...note that high price is not an indication of either durability or convenience.

QR clamps are one of the least costly elements of camera support. One only needs one per tripod head. Compare that to plates which are usually one per body and one per each of the longer/heavier lenses. Arca-Swiss plate are incredibly cost effective and most are cross-compatible between clamp brands. They are virtually universal.*

I suspect your L-plate was not inexpensive. Why scrimp on the clamp that allows for professional convenience and durability.

Steve

(...am personally not fond of the Manfrotto or Slik QR systems despite owning products from both companies...)

* I say virtually because I have a plate designed for small cameras that is cut funny. It works with a clamp from the same maker, but not with other makes. I keep it because it is the only plate I could find that works with my Bessa R3M.
My L Plate was a cheap one, only $15 or so, a universal Arca Swiss one as you say, and I have only invested in one tripod with a arca swiss ball head. I'm not in too deep with that system.

But I use quite a few ballhead brands, and each has a use and each has it's pluses and minuses. I'm prolly not your average user so I'll attempt to explain where I'm currently at with all this;

First thing to understand is that I actually use ball heads for my flashes as well as camera. So the rational of only needing one ballhead at a time isn't actually where I come from. I currently have one SLIK ballhead mounted to my custom flash bracket that attaches to my camera. A second SLIK ballhead I use on a tripod. I also have a SLIK QR plate for the camera and flash (better than hotshoe). The SLIK ballheads I find more than adequate to grip tight the weight of the flash or camera, once tightened it doesn't waiver. It's not the best however, the SLIK ballhead plates slide about too much, no matter how hard I tighten them with a dime.
I have a Joby gorilla pod, it's the Hyper SLR Zoom one (discontinued) and I find it perfect for monopodding, and it also works quite well with holding flashes in place. The QR plate generally is far better than the SLIK ones for staying put and not loosening over time, and the actually docking of camera in and out (or flash) is the best and fastest I've come across (brilliant for quick monopodding!), however as a ballhead for the K-1 for use on a tripod (or even lighter camera) it's not that tight, once you tighten it dips down a tad. If you want things to line up correctly you kinda have to tighten with things pointing up and how not you actually want it, then once tightened it dips down to a place where is more like what you're after... yeah not ideal.
A couple months ago I bought the new 3k Joby head, it was fine for a few weeks, then started oozing oil and finally something gave inside and it just doesn't hold whatever is mounted properly, no matter how hard you tighten it, you could pan it a good 1-2mm in each direction at full tightness, so yeah something went wrong with that one. A real shame, apparently it's a 'thing' with the 3K heads. I really could of seen myself amass more of them and try and get everything across to that system as I really enjoyed the fluid docking experience.

So now I have 2x SLIK, 1x Arca, and one 1x Joby ballheads (with QR plates to boot). I think I will be giving up on the Joby head, and moving onto something else. I'd stick with the SLIK heads as they are cheap and stiff, but sometimes too stuff, it can be really quite an effort to untighten the lever to release the QR plates or even the ballhead itself sometimes, it feels more 'digital' in it's tension (either loose or tight) and not as 'analog' as the arca head (or Joby) that I have, whereby you can apply a certain amount of pressure to the ball to get a good middle ground tight place (which is important for monopodding, you don't want too tight, or too loose).

So what's missing with all this set up is fluidity in whatever I want to attach. I want to be able to leave the house ideally with one brand of plate and one brand of ball head, so that I don't have to overthink things, get into the field and realise my flash has a joby QR plate attached and I only have SLIK ballheads.

The other thing missing is not a great portrait tripod experience due to loosing the L bracket experience (tho I have enjoyed the more minimal camera experience of not having an L Bracket always attached.

I know I am not a fan of the Arac Swiss knobs, but I know to go over to the ballhead with lever style Arca could be pricey, but then perhaps not if I decide to go over to manfrotto's L Plate, as that would then mean also buying multiple manfrotto ballheads to accompany it...

Any Manfrotto head with RC2 quick release works with the Q2 L plate. It solved the problems I had changing from horizontal to vertical when using my 100 macro.
At macro distances, with the camera mounted directly to the head (496RC2 by the way), changing from horizontal to vertical orientation ends with a totally different image, so I have to recompose by moving the whole tripod, really bothersome.
With the Q2 L plate mounted on the camera and carefully adjusted, changing orientation takes just seconds and the center of the image remains the same.
Can you remove the QR plates that come with the Manfrotto L Plate and use another brands QR plates do you think?
10-02-2018, 05:51 AM   #9

Can you remove the QR plates that come with the Manfrotto L Plate and use another brands QR plates do you think?
Both QR plates are removable, but the L plate is not flat on either of its sides, it has some kind of rails (see picture) where the QR plates fit (they are not flat either, they have grooves to fit the L plate rails). Also the screws in the QRs are longer than the ones on standard QR plates. In conclusion, I think you cannot mount QR plates differents than the ones that come with the L plate.

The only solution I can think of is to use this adapter on top of the QR plates you already have, not an elegant solution anyway.

Also, a warning: when using the Manfrotto L plate with a K5/K3 you will need to use the battery grip for perfect "center of frame" adjustment. See the explanation in this link

WARNING! Manfrotto L-Bracket fit on K-3 - PentaxForums.com

Otherwise you have to readjust the image each time you change orientation, not by too much but you have to do it.

Last edited by CarlosU; 10-02-2018 at 06:14 AM.
10-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Both QR plates are removable, but the L plate is not flat on either of its sides, it has some kind of rails (see picture) where the QR plates fit (they are not flat either, they have grooves to fit the L plate rails). Also the screws in the QRs are longer than the ones on standard QR plates. In conclusion, I think you cannot mount QR plates differents than the ones that come with the L plate.

The only solution I can think of is to use this adapter on top of the QR plates you already have, not an elegant solution anyway.

Also, a warning: when using the Manfrotto L plate with a K5/K3 you will need to use the battery grip for perfect "center of frame" adjustment. See the explanation in this link

WARNING! Manfrotto L-Bracket fit on K-3 - PentaxForums.com

Otherwise you have to readjust the image each time you change orientation, not by too much but you have to do it.
Thanks for that, exactly the kinda feedback I was looking for. I'm not a huge landscaper, I just had a cheap generic L Bracket like what Heie has in that post you linked. I never even considered 'centering' till I saw the Manfrotto L Plate you tube video. I now see how having fixed QR plates built onto the L Plate can be helpful, once you make the adjustment to the bracket things are centered with either orientation, cool.

How do you find the Manfrotto L Plate and ball head system in general then? Happy with them? Because tbh it does look like this is the kinda solution I'm looking for, just a pricey jump for me to get all my gear across that way, I'd be looking at 1xL Plate, 3xballheads with QR plates (for flashes)... <gulp>.

Or I start thinking about Arca Swiss Lever systems which may end up being similar price for 2-3 Lever adapters...
10-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can tell you the Gitzo quick clamp is excellent. locks quickly just by clicking the plate down into it. and very quick to release, flip camera to portrait and lock the l-plate back in. they have a safety screw that also stops the plate from sliding out if the tension is incorrectly set.

Another idea, is to just buy replacement quick release clamps for your ballheads, not the entire ballhead.
similar to this. FotoPanda 50mm Lever Lock Quick Release Clamp Adapter Arca Swiss RRS Compatible | eBay , you just remove the screw clamp from the ballhead and replace it with one of those.

I prefer the sunwayphoto brand stuff. Sunwayfoto lever-Release Clamp DDC-50LR Arca Compatible Screw hole UNC3/8" 6952512508434 | eBay but a little more pricey .