Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 10:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,341
Bag for K-1 with DFA 15-30 lens

Any one found a good bag for a K-1 with a DFA 15-30 lens? Looking for something compact for travel/walkabouts ...holster style appeals. That 15-30 is quite a wide diameter and challenges my existing bags.

10-02-2018, 01:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Paul the Sunman's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,685
My old Lowepro Slingshot 202 AW holds it comfortably. The K1/15-30 combination is a bit heavy for holster carriage I would say. A sling bag is a better option.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 10-02-2018 at 02:24 AM.
10-02-2018, 04:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,627
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
holster style appeals.
I'd go with a sling too. If you want a very small package, look at the Everyday Sling 5L from Peak Design. If you want to carry a bit more stuff alongside the combo, I really like the Mindshift Gear Photocross, look at the 10 (smaller than the 13). Otherwise if you want a more basic package there are many, many cheaper sling bags, not as comfortable but they will work.
10-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,763
A small shoulder-hung bag might be adequate. I think the LowePro Format 160 can barely fit a K-1 plus mounted 15-30. LowePro has additional bags in that style with extra features for extra money.


amazon.com : Lowepro Format 160 Camera Bag, Black : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

10-02-2018, 05:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member
virusn3t's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 676
Only for a 15-30 lens, the Peak Design 5L can do that (ungripped camera, you may have space to carry the grip wothout attach)



With other lenses?

Peak Design 10L can carry an ungripped camera (that damned grip use to much space) with a 15-30, a spare DFA 24-70 an a small prime like the 77mm (or a speedlight)





I also have a PeakDesign Messenger (15"), but currently working as a diaper bag with my sister, with effort i can cramp a 15-30/24-70/70-200 in it, but i only carry the 15-30 as a specialized lens and when i know it will be needed and carry intead a small 11-17 fisheye to get the wide images
10-02-2018, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,341
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Only for a 15-30 lens, the Peak Design 5L can do that (ungripped camera, you may have space to carry the grip wothout attach)



With other lenses?

Peak Design 10L can carry an ungripped camera (that damned grip use to much space) with a 15-30, a spare DFA 24-70 an a small prime like the 77mm (or a speedlight)





I also have a PeakDesign Messenger (15"), but currently working as a diaper bag with my sister, with effort i can cramp a 15-30/24-70/70-200 in it, but i only carry the 15-30 as a specialized lens and when i know it will be needed and carry intead a small 11-17 fisheye to get the wide images
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
A small shoulder-hung bag might be adequate. I think the LowePro Format 160 can barely fit a K-1 plus mounted 15-30. LowePro has additional bags in that style with extra features for extra money.


amazon.com : Lowepro Format 160 Camera Bag, Black : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'd go with a sling too. If you want a very small package, look at the Everyday Sling 5L from Peak Design. If you want to carry a bit more stuff alongside the combo, I really like the Mindshift Gear Photocross, look at the 10 (smaller than the 13). Otherwise if you want a more basic package there are many, many cheaper sling bags, not as comfortable but they will work.
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
My old Lowepro Slingshot 202 AW holds it comfortably. The K1/15-30 combination is a bit heavy for holster carriage I would say. A sling bag is a better option.
Thank you all for your replies.

I hadn't explored sling bags before your suggestions.

I do have a Lowepro 160 AW which might hold the K-1 plus 15-30 but it's currently on loan to my son while he travels for 3-4 months. I think the bag landed in Singapore a couple of hours ago! I like that bag as it just just fits into a compact day back pack like this: Pocket Pack v4 - Black Cherry

It's a good combination because I can go on day trips/city walks without being obvious I am carrying a pile of expensive camera gear. And it all properly stays put on my back if scrambling over rocks etc. Plus I can fit in a rain jacket and water bottle. I need a replacement though before my son returns. I bought the 15-30 after my son went on his trip so haven't been able to confirm whether the K-1 plus 15-30 will fit the Lowepro 160.

I also have a Lowepro messenger style bag which the K-1 plus 15-30 will just fit into although the 15-30 is borderline too fat. This bag is too big to go into a day back pack though. Which is what was kind of leading me towards a holster style bag which I could use on its own for short walks or jam into the day pack for longer excursions. But another Lowepro 160 might also be on the cards. Sounds like a trip to a bricks and mortar store for some test fittings.

The sling bags sound more like a future replacement option for the messenger style bag. All these new design BIG lenses are a bit of a pain for carting about.
10-02-2018, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,763
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
But another Lowepro 160 might also be on the cards. Sounds like a trip to a bricks and mortar store for some test fittings.
It fits. Snugly, but it fits. There's enough room left for a 28-105 or other compact lens. Photo below shows it sideways. You can also put it vertically with the lens facing downwards for easier removal, but the zipper barely closes.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-02-2018, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,341
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It fits. Snugly, but it fits. There's enough room left for a 28-105 or other compact lens. Photo below shows it sideways. You can also put it vertically with the lens facing downwards for easier removal, but the zipper barely closes.
Ah, never though of using the 160 AW with the camera/lens sideways! Always been a stick it in vertically kind of guy. Need to take lateral thinking lessons
10-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Austin Tx
Posts: 209
Here's what I use for that combo. (please don't shame me) . It won't fit into another bag, but its light weight enough that I don't mind using it as a day bag.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009R6TA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ta...&ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,
Rodney
10-24-2018, 10:33 PM   #10
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,936
My Tamrac Velocity 5x swallows the combination comfortably. It can be worn over the shoulder as a sling or as a very comfortable waist pack.
With the lens on the camera it fits in the new-to-you landscape orientation With camera and lens uncoupled there is still room for a couple of small primes (FA43 and FA77 pictured here)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 10-24-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bag, bag for k-1, dfa, k-1, k-1 with dfa, lens, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DFA 15-30 -- confidence rtmarwitz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 07-29-2018 07:38 PM
For Sale - Sold: (all sold) K-1 body, DFA 15-30, FA77, DFA 28-105, Zeiss ZK 35 f/2 kaspy Sold Items 16 10-14-2017 09:31 PM
New DFA 15-30: soft edge? johann_brehmer Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 10-05-2017 03:50 PM
DFA 24-70 or DFA 15-30 for the K-1? Hattifnatt Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 42 10-25-2016 08:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top