Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Small travel bag for K-5 with O-GPS attached

Quick bag question...

I have a good travel bag that fits my K-5 with a 18-135 lens attached. There is room for one additional lens and also some accessories. It cannot accept the K-5 with the O-GPS1 attached however...

Any suggestions on a smallish travel bag (for a minimal travel kit) that will hold the K-5 with both a lens and the GPS unit attached?

Thanks for any advice/experience!

Jim

10-02-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would not bag a K-5 or any other DSLR with anything attached to the hotshoe. Too much leverage, too much chance of breakage. But that is just me.
10-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
@jbinpg Agree.
10-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would not bag it with that attached either, too easy to bend your hotshoe or break the GPS.

10-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
I would not bag a K-5 or any other DSLR with anything attached to the hotshoe. Too much leverage, too much chance of breakage. But that is just me.
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
@jbinpg Agree.
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I would not bag it with that attached either, too easy to bend your hotshoe or break the GPS.

I'm with these guys also. Don't risk it.
10-02-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
Forum Member

I like the Lowepro Toploader bags. I have the Toploader Zoom 50 AW and it fits a K5 with the 18-135 or the 16-85 with the hood reversed. The K5 will fit with the O-GPS attached, but like the other posters, I would not recommend keeping it attached because it is a tight fit. Not much room for an extra lens.

I also have the Toploader Pro 70 AW which fits the K5 with a bit more room for the O-GPS. The Pro 70 has room for a K5 with the grip or the K1. It does have room for a 2nd lens if it isnít too long. You can also strap on a separate lends holder on the side, but it does get bulky at that point.
10-03-2018, 03:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
+++ There've been many camera repairs needed due to simply bumping an attached flash. The hotshoe area of most cameras is pretty weak.
10-03-2018, 05:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Indeed. Just remove the GPS unit before inserting, it takes a few seconds after all.

If you MUST do it, then make sure the camera is snug, the lens held in place by a lower divider hugging it, no lateral movement possible, etc.

10-03-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am aware of the potential stress issues with storing the camera with the GPS unit attached.

The reason I was asking about a bag was to see if anyone knew of a bag where the risk is minimized due to the (thoughtful) design of the bag. If there is a bag designed to protect the camera +GPS, I would consider it. If there isn't, then I won't be doing it.

Thanks for the feedback.
10-03-2018, 08:44 AM   #10

I am using my K-70 wito O-GPS in a Crumpler Cupcake 4000 bag. No problems whatsoever. The O-GPS is quite small and light and the bag is spacious an well padded so I don't see huge risks there. The bag apparently is discontinued, but perhaps you can find a similar model?