Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2018, 02:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A Ball Head with removable plate, that can Pan...?

So... as per the discussion in this thread I ended up grabbing a Manfrotto L Plate today at a very decent price.

I have already seen that Chinese knock off Manfrotto adapter and QR plates can be had for cheap, and they hold up well in a review, but I think I've hit a snag... I don't know what to 'dock' them onto :/

Currently I own just pretty poor cheap ballheads, SLIK ones and Joby, the kind that wouldn't work, even if I could remove the adapter plate from the ballhead they don't do a 'Pan Only' movement, which I would really like to take advantage of seeing as I have an L Plate.

Oddly, the genuine Manfrotto ballhead that takes the QR plates in the aforementioned L Plate link and ebay Chinese knock off link... it doesn't seem to have (on any of their ballheads that take this QR plate) a separate pan adjustment knob.
It looks as if you have to step up a particular ballhead to get that feature, one that doesn't take the QR plate that I have on the L Plate.

So now I'm left with the task of finding a ballhead that can have independent panning and that I can take off whatever adapter plate it has and place the Chinese knock off Manfrotto adapter plate instead...

Can anyone suggest such a ballhead?

TIA!

Bruce

10-09-2018, 02:57 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
This Manfrotto XPRO Ball Head will take your L-Plate and has a dedicated pan knob.

XPRO Ball Head in magnesium with 200PL plate | MHXPRO-BHQ2

Just make sure to get the right one since there is a different version of this head with an Arca Swiss compatible quick release system.

Last edited by alpheios; 10-09-2018 at 03:10 AM.
10-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
This Manfrotto XPRO Ball Head will take your L-Plate and has a dedicated pan knob.

Just make sure to get the right one since there is a different version of this head with an Arca Swiss compatible quick release system.
Ah thanks! I thought the PRO part referred to a different 200PL plate that's something like 200PL-PRO... how confusing..

---------- Post added 10-10-18 at 07:05 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote

Have you seen this head also?

I don't get the 'friction' knob at all. It's difficult to tell on the video because he has nothing with significant weight on the QR plate that's docked in the adapter/head, but it looks like at one point in the vid that you could pan also with this head by easing the friction? I have a few ballheads that have one knob, you ease the grip and the whole head dips down (as well as being able to pan). To my mind that's what would happen also with this head in the video? The way it's described (by not being a 'panning' knob) is that you basically have two knobs to lesson the grip on the head... pointless?
10-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
Forum Member

The 496RC2 is not the one with the panning feature, it's the 498RC2. I use one.

10-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Cool, so why the friction knob at all? Aren't both knobs on the 496 essentially doing the same thing? Is one fine friction, the other a more 'global' friction (like it doesn't take much to untighten the knob and the whole head moves)?
10-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Friction knob, controls the amount of friction on the ball. it allows you to move the camera around (adjust position) without loosening and tightening the head all the time. With my ball heads I can set the friction, move my camera with a small amount of resistance, but then just let go, and the position stays exactly where I let go, no slip, no slow drooping down, just stay exactly in place, yet, I can make very small adjustments with no effort, then, I can lock it up completely if I really want to make sure, but it's not always necessary, and all my ballheads have separate panning, when level or at the right angle, I can still pan correctly . Sorry the Cheaper ballheads simply don't work as well as the more expensive ones.
10-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
Forum Member

One knob adjusts the friction on the ball experienced when the clamping knob (the other one) is released. So with friction wound on, releasing the clamp lets your camera and 300mm slowly sag downwards; but with all friction off, the camera and lens nosedive to clunk off the rest of the tripod. Ouch.

edit: ballheads like @cmohr describes cost lots. Lots.
10-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An interesting ball head that accepts 200pl plates.

Kenro 3265 222 Grip Action Ball Head w/ 200Pl-14 QR Plate f/Manfrotto Tripod USA 719821287667 | eBay

On the other hand you can convert your existing ball head to use the PL200 plates by replacing the top part of your existing ball head by the one knock off you mentioned in your original post.

10-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #9

The 498RC2 is discontinued but could still be in stock somewhere.
Besides the Manfrotto XPRO Ball Head already mentioned, there is also the Manfrotto MH496, cheaper than the XPRO and feature a QR plate that is RC2 and also Arca-type compatible.
10-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Friction knob, controls the amount of friction on the ball. it allows you to move the camera around (adjust position) without loosening and tightening the head all the time. With my ball heads I can set the friction, move my camera with a small amount of resistance, but then just let go, and the position stays exactly where I let go, no slip, no slow drooping down, just stay exactly in place, yet, I can make very small adjustments with no effort, then, I can lock it up completely if I really want to make sure, but it's not always necessary, and all my ballheads have separate panning, when level or at the right angle, I can still pan correctly . Sorry the Cheaper ballheads simply don't work as well as the more expensive ones.
One knob adjusts the friction on the ball experienced when the clamping knob (the other one) is released. So with friction wound on, releasing the clamp lets your camera and 300mm slowly sag downwards; but with all friction off, the camera and lens nosedive to clunk off the rest of the tripod. Ouch.

I think I get it. The ballheads I have have just one knob, you loosen it and the friction gets less and the ball head moves around a lot, if I were to loosen it just a teeny tiny amount the camera would start to dip down slowly.

It looks like this camera would do the same really, it's just because in his video he has nothing mounted, so even tho he has loosened the friction knob and can pan around (with the QR plate and adapter holding the same position) in reality that wouldn't happen, the camera would dip down also. He shoulda demonstrated what happens with a camera on top, not without! The clamp lever/lock just locks everything up.
I'm just curious to know now however if you actually can loosen the friction knob to such a degree that it will allow for a panning without the camera dipping down... hmm...

edit: ballheads like @cmohr describes cost lots. Lots.
I mean I do have a single panning ballhead (but it's arca swiss and the adapter plate cannot come off, but the panning knob is separate to the knob that controls the ballhead, and I think this is a must really if you want to lock the camera in position and do panning shots without fear of the ballhead (and camera) dipping down..

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
An interesting ball head that accepts 200pl plates.

Kenro 3265 222 Grip Action Ball Head w/ 200Pl-14 QR Plate f/Manfrotto Tripod USA 719821287667 | eBay

On the other hand you can convert your existing ball head to use the PL200 plates by replacing the top part of your existing ball head by the one knock off you mentioned in your original post.
That was going to be my next question, if there was another brand that accepted PL200 plates just not Manfrotto, so thanks for that.

I cannot convert any of my existing ballheads I don't think (I tried one and broke it ), they weren't expensive so I think I can just chalk them off to experience.

I would be happy with one proper landscape ballhead with independent panning knob and then 1-2 smaller ballheads with a single knob for monopodding, those can be had much cheaper and would accept that cheap chinese knock off adapter plate (with PL200QR plates).

---------- Post added 10-10-18 at 03:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlosU Quote
The 498RC2 is discontinued but could still be in stock somewhere.
Besides the Manfrotto XPRO Ball Head already mentioned, there is also the Manfrotto MH496, cheaper than the XPRO and feature a QR plate that is RC2 and also Arca-type compatible.
Wait up... are you saying this ballhead here; Manfrotto Manfrotto 494 Ball Head with 200PL-PRO MH494-BHUS B&H can also work with PL200 plates as well as PL200-PRO ones? Like it can take both in it's adapter?
I thought this one wouldn't work with a regular PL200 plate, that it would need to be a PL200-PRO plate (ie a shift over the Arcaswiss).
10-09-2018, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Wait up... are you saying this ballhead here; Manfrotto Manfrotto 494 Ball Head with 200PL-PRO MH494-BHUS B&H can also work with PL200 plates as well as PL200-PRO ones? Like it can take both in it's adapter?
I thought this one wouldn't work with a regular PL200 plate, that it would need to be a PL200-PRO plate (ie a shift over the Arcaswiss).
Don't know about the MH494 you pointed out. But in Manfrotto's site, when they list the MH496 features, it reads:

"200PL-PRO plate (RC2 & Arca-swiss compatible)"

Also, from the Q&A section for the MH496 in B&H page, I found this:

"this item uses the 200PL-Pro quick release plate. Will the 200PL fit?

Yes it will"

Looks like both heads are compatible with PL200 (RC2) plates. The novelty with the 200PL-PRO is that you can mount the QR plate in both Mafrotto RC2 an Arca-type heads.
10-09-2018, 11:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlosU Quote
Don't know about the MH494 you pointed out. But in Manfrotto's site, when they list the MH496 features, it reads:

"200PL-PRO plate (RC2 & Arca-swiss compatible)"

Also, from the Q&A section for the MH496 in B&H page, I found this:

"this item uses the 200PL-Pro quick release plate. Will the 200PL fit?

Yes it will"

Looks like both heads are compatible with PL200 (RC2) plates. The novelty with the 200PL-PRO is that you can mount the QR plate in both Mafrotto RC2 an Arca-type heads.
Excellent work! Thank you my friend, that opens up the options quite a bit more
10-10-2018, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ2

Manfrotto MH054M0-Q2 and successors are good, especially the new MHXPRO-BHQ2.
Product comparison for Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ2 , Manfrotto MH054M0-Q2 , Manfrotto MH055M0-Q2