Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hähnel PROCUBE2 - 3D printed adapter for Pentax D-Li90

The Hähnel Procube2 seems to be one of the most advanced camera battery chargers today.

haehnel-foto.de/blog/post/extreme-battery-life-for-your-camera-/

Unfortunately it isn't available for Pentax.
So my idea is if it would be possible to 3D print an inlay for the D-Li90 to make the Procube2 compatible.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by angerdan; 12-08-2018 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Fixed link.
10-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be relatively easy to print the insert but what about the electrical connections that is part of the insert?
10-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As it seems to be just electrical (no difference in electronics), some easy solution could be exist. Even if this would be producing some parts, maybe this thread can collect some ideas?!
10-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

While it’s certaily doable, it seems overly complicated to try to build your own when you can get very similar devices that do support the Pentax batteries.

10-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
...you can get very similar devices that do support the Pentax batteries.
Similar in quality and comfort?
Can you name one?
10-14-2018, 01:49 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Similar in quality and comfort?
Can you name one?
I use the Watson Duo from B&H. You can get it with several dozen battery different adapters, it charges two batteries, and the adapters can be switched out individually, so you can charge two entirely different battery types at the same time, it has an LCD that shows the charging status of each battery, it powers over AC and it comes with a 12v cigarette lighter adapter, it includes a USB port for charging other things. However, to the best of my knowledge it doesn’t charge AA batteries. I’m not sure what features you were looking at, but the Watson does almost everything the Hähnel does.

BTW, the Watson Duo price depends on which battery adapters it is packaged with, however the battery adapters are $2. So rather than paying $80 for the model packaged with Pentax adapters, I bought one with some unknown adapters for $40 and paid $4 for a pair of Pentax adapters. The base unit is identical.
10-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the Watson Duo from B&H. You can get it with several dozen battery different adapters, it charges two batteries, and the adapters can be switched out individually, so you can charge two entirely different battery types at the same time, it has an LCD that shows the charging status of each battery, it powers over AC and it comes with a 12v cigarette lighter adapter, it includes a USB port for charging other things. However, to the best of my knowledge it doesn’t charge AA batteries. I’m not sure what features you were looking at, but the Watson does almost everything the Hähnel does.

BTW, the Watson Duo price depends on which battery adapters it is packaged with, however the battery adapters are $2. So rather than paying $80 for the model packaged with Pentax adapters, I bought one with some unknown adapters for $40 and paid $4 for a pair of Pentax adapters. The base unit is identical.
So, this charger - Watson Duo LCD Charger for VW-VBG6 Batteries D-3629 B&H Photo
And two of these - depending on the Pentax battery type?
Watson Battery Adapter Plate for D-LI90 P-3704 B&H Photo Video
Watson Battery Adapter Plate for D-LI109 P-3706 B&H Photo Video

Very clever!

10-15-2018, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use the Watson Duo from B&H.
Magical properties have been claimed for the Hähnel Procube2 charger. It is faster than the Watson, has a comprehensive readout, and can do a quick top-up charge. Whether it is worth the extra money is the larger question.

Steve
10-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yup. The nice thing is since the two charger plates are independent, you could charge an LI90 and a LI109 at the same time, even if the batteries need different voltages. I currently have both a Pentax and a Nikon plate installed, so I can charge both at the same time.
10-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup. The nice thing is since the two charger plates are independent, you could charge an LI90 and a LI109 at the same time, even if the batteries need different voltages. I currently have both a Pentax and a Nikon plate installed, so I can charge both at the same time.
Very neat indeed!
11-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What about designing an Adapter from GoPro-battery to D-LI90?
This would allow to extend the charging slot with an short cable to a nearby slot.
Trio-Ladegerät
UGP SERIES

Second option is to use an slot adapter for universal chargers.
Ladeschale DC93 | Kompatibel mit Pentax D-LI90 Kamera Akku-Ladegerät Pentax
Google Shopping - Product not found
DSTE 2 stücke D LI90 d li90 Li Ion Akku + DC93 Ladegerät für Pentax K 7 K 7D K 5 K 52 645D K5IIS K5II K01 K3 kamera in DSTE 2 stücke D-LI90 d-li90 Li-Ion Akku + DC93 Ladegerät für Pentax K-7 K-7D K-5 K-52 645D K5IIS K5II K01 K3 kamera aus Digital Bat

Last edited by angerdan; 11-22-2018 at 12:52 PM.
12-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I got the infromation about compatibility between Pentax D-LI90 and Panasonic BLF19.
Battery cross compatibility - Pentax D-LI90 and Panasonic BLF19 - PentaxForums.com

This means, with little modifications of the Hähnel Procube 2, D-LI90 batteries possibly could be charged
PROCUBE2 for Panasonic/Fujifilm
12-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'd test the ProCube 2
Unfortunately only the left slot will charge the battery - seems like the plastic clips inside the tray are different.
As it only shows the percentage and additional charged mA, it's not worth 50€ for the D-LI90.
12-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Couldn't one simply buy one of the Watson (or Wasabi) plates for a Pentax battery, and then solder or otherwise connect wires to the appropriate pins on another Procube2 adapter? yeah, it wouldn't sit there all pretty but why would the charger care. Assuming it is any better than the Watson.

Indeed, given there are bazillions of 3.6v lion chargers out there, wouldn't that work for Pentax batteries? or is there some super circuitry inside that prohibits that?
12-16-2018, 02:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Igiven there are bazillions of 3.6v lion chargers out there, wouldn't that work for Pentax batteries? or is there some super circuitry inside that prohibits that?
No, because the D-LI90 is an 2S layout with 7,4V. You can't charge a 7,4V battery with 3,6V.