Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2018, 12:54 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My "ultimate" 150mm filter holder solution (3D printable)

Hi all,

I continue to tinker with 3D printed camera accessories, I thought my latest creation might interest some here. I've made the design freely available on Thingiverse: Tamron - Pentax 150mm Filter Holder by Arachnorchis - Thingiverse

It's a large 150mm filter holder, notably it has:

Option to attach hinged "barn door" style hoods (I'm calling them petals), or sliding ones that can be removed/replaced instantly.
Allows full 360degree rotation.
Lens mounts are replaceable, mounts can be easily modified to suit different lenses.
Currently have mounts for the 15-30mm 2.8 and DA 25mm f4 645 lenses.

The goal was to create something that rivals the mass produced alternatives in terms of basic function, that can be made for a fraction of the cost.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
10-11-2018, 03:58 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice work indeed. That looks extremely professional!
10-11-2018, 04:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Good design, it appears that all issues have been addressed. This item will be very useful in particular for landscape photography with the 15-30.

The information on the Thinkverse link is very comprehensive.
10-11-2018, 06:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice. What is the maximum dimension/build dimension required for the printer? I've been on the fence of wanting to play with 3D printing, but not wanting to shell out big bucks for one. I wonder if something like the XYZ Printing da Vinci 1.0 Pro would be good enough or would you get into 3D printing and want more? Takes 3rd party filaments, resolution 20-400 microns, multiple types of print material may be used - sounds tempting for the price:

XYZprinting da Vinci 1.0 Pro 3D Printer 3F1AWXUS00K B&H Photo

10-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Very nice. What is the maximum dimension/build dimension required for the printer? I've been on the fence of wanting to play with 3D printing, but not wanting to shell out big bucks for one. I wonder if something like the XYZ Printing da Vinci 1.0 Pro would be good enough or would you get into 3D printing and want more? Takes 3rd party filaments, resolution 20-400 microns, multiple types of print material may be used - sounds tempting for the price:

Iíve been thinking along similar lines, so I chased the da Vinciís specification through, and it specifies a maximum build volume of 7.8Ē x 7.8Ē x 7.8Ē (ie 198mm cubed), whereas the OPís Zortrax specification yields 200 x 200 x 185, so I conclude from that, that the da Vinci would be suitable. I couldnít find the da Vinciís layer resolution, but I guess it would be suitable.
10-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I couldn’t find the da Vinci’s layer resolution
I believe it is variable from 20 to 400 microns. I missed the 200x200, so it looks like the da Vinci could just barely print it. From reading the questions, it sounds like there have been upgrades to the model over time.

this page has some specs with the resolution:

and then more here from the product page:

https://www.xyzprinting.com/en-US/product/da-vinci-pro
10-11-2018, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Very nice work indeed. That looks extremely professional!
Thanks mate

---------- Post added 10-11-18 at 07:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
Good design, it appears that all issues have been addressed. This item will be very useful in particular for landscape photography with the 15-30.

The information on the Thinkverse link is very comprehensive.
Cheers, itís been a lot of work!

---------- Post added 10-11-18 at 07:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I believe it is variable from 20 to 400 microns. I missed the 200x200, so it looks like the da Vinci could just barely print it. From reading the questions, it sounds like there have been upgrades to the model over time.

this page has some specs with the resolution:

and then more here from the product page:

https://www.xyzprinting.com/en-US/product/da-vinci-pro
Robís correct, the model is just a touch under 200x200mm. Resolution shouldnít be a concern, as long as youíve got a heated bed and a build enclosure you should be able to print one of these on the da Vinci.