Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question concerning the Shanny SN600FGZ flash

Shanny SN600FGZ flash

I just purchased the Shanny SN600FGZ flash for my KP and having problems with it. The Shanny underexposes no matter the settings. This is from the very first time using it with a DA 35mm lens attached. At first, it did show the correct zoom (35mm) attached to the camera, with the "A zoom" setting. I tried to increase the flash compensation, but that did not help. I turned the flash/camera off, removed the flash and the attached the flash again. My method is to turn the camera on first, then the flash. Now the flash it displays "M zoom" with 14mm zoom showing, even with the DA35 lens attached. I set the camera on "M" settings, "AV", "P" modes and all underexposed and I cannot change the zoom setting to "A zoom", it will not change from the 14mm reading. I attached the DA55mm lens, but the flash still stuck on 14mm and underexposes. I even did a reset of all special functions just in case I accidentally changed one. Thinking the contacts might be dirty, I cleaned both the camera contact mount and the flash unit with an alcohol swab, which did correct the "A zoom" reading and displayed the correct lens mounted (55mm), but the flash still underexposes all pictures. I tried the flash in slave mode, but the same problem. I manually increased the exposure settings on the flash and camera, but no effect on the problem.
My other flash is an older Metz*50 AF-1 which works just fine and gives proper exposure. I wanted the Shanny for a second flash, plus it has a higher guide number. If I can't get this problem sorted out I will have to decide either to return it a refund or exchange it for another if I think this one is defective.