Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2018, 01:09 PM   #31
klh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Yikes! With an astigmatism like that, I can see why you shoot with glasses on. I'm lucky in that my astigmatism is slight, and Lasik some years ago has worked well for me. Unfortunately, as told up front, that only fixes distance and can't account for aging and the resultant stiffening of muscles etc. that prevents near focus. Still within the limits of that little diopter wheel, so savoring every second of shooting without glasses while I can.

The same here. LASIK 15 years ago with great results. A little astigmatism in my right eye, but not enough to be a problem with photography. The only issue now is near focus as I get older.

I have been using the O-ME53 since the K-20D and love it. I havenít tried it on the K-1ii yet since the viewfinder is already big and bright, but I do have one on my MZ-S. I also like how it moves your eye a little further away from the camera back (for those of us with a big nose).

My experience is that the O-EM53 doesnít really crop the viewfinder like a cropped photo cuts off the edge of a photo. I can still see the entire viewfinder, but I need to move my eye around a little more to see the edges. Without glasses this is easy, but if I was wearing glasses, I expect it would be harder to see the edges.

Last edited by klh; 10-31-2018 at 04:47 PM.
11-02-2018, 08:04 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Well now I have one on my K-3II I have to say it's a dramatic improvement. I don't wear glasses so I'm not in a position to make any judgement on that, but for me I can see everything, just a bit bigger.

The biggest question this raises for me is...why on earth is this an optional accessory - why not put that magnifier on as standard? Aside from revenue, that is.
11-02-2018, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I also received my one, and I will keep it on. Should've purchased one ages ago! I noticed much more improvement with longer lenses, it's much easier to focus my Tamron 90 macro (which is awesome), and the tamron 70-200 (even better). It is easier to see good focus with 50 1.4, but as others said, it's not a magical pill that suddenly makes it easy)
11-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I also received my one, and I will keep it on. Should've purchased one ages ago! I noticed much more improvement with longer lenses, it's much easier to focus my Tamron 90 macro (which is awesome), and the tamron 70-200 (even better). It is easier to see good focus with 50 1.4, but as others said, it's not a magical pill that suddenly makes it easy)
I have one on my K1-II right now and it will stay. When I place my next order from B&H I will order two more. One for my K3 and one for my K1. As you pointed out it helps a lot when manually focusing longer lenses. This shot was taken with my K1-II and D FA 150 - 450 lens at the 450mm setting. Exposure is 1/400 second manual focus, hand held. Somehow I managed to pull it off. SR is a wonderful thing.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
11-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #35
Forum Member

Excellent accessory, especially useful for manual focusing. With supplied eyepiece works even with glasses, but just barely. K1 looks a little silly now, since lens (eyepiece) is quite small compared to viewfinder without o-me53.
Tried Nikon df-17m before and while it's magnification is a little bit higher it blocks viewfinder corners. I guess without glasses it could work and exit lens is bigger.