Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2018, 08:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax O-ME53 - please share your experience using it with K-1

As title says, I'd be greatful for your input on this item does it crop the sides of the frame in ovf? Are there any negatives to using it? I have a few manual lenses, the A 50 1.4 is pretty tough to focus sometimes, would this eye piece help? Would it help to easier confirm good focus with my Tamron 70-200?

Thanks

10-28-2018, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might find this helpful:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ssmMoN0rwI#menu

I had the ME 53 for a while but acquired the Pentax FB and found the flip up feature and added magnification useful.

I don’t use either much now since live view has improved so much over the older DSLRs
10-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Syntax Quote
You might find this helpful:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ssmMoN0rwI#menu

I had the ME 53 for a while but acquired the Pentax FB and found the flip up feature and added magnification useful.

I don’t use either much now since live view has improved so much over the older DSLRs
I just don't like holding the camera in front of me, I much prefer using ovf and framing stuff that way (unless I'm on a tripod, then I always use LV and manual focus).

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out
10-28-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just got one last week and like it, easy to look in and can se everything even with my glasses on.

10-28-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by erikro Quote
I just got one last week and like it, easy to look in and can se everything even with my glasses on.
Is exposure info, and rest of the info overlayed in the ovf visible? Or its cropped by the magnification?
10-28-2018, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
I have the O-ME53 on my K-3, and while I can see all the info displayed in the viewfinder, I do have to shift my viewing angle. I can’t see it all at once. I do wear glasses (even when shooting, there is no astigmatism correction on the OVF), which exacerbates the issue.
10-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like it on my K-1 (and does fine on my K3II as well). I find as I normally hold the camera, if I look around, I have a little clipping of the corners, but I feel it's of no impact on how I frame a shot. If I press my eye into it, I can see all four corners of the frame. It's not uncomfortable - not smashing into my forehead or anything like that. I would note that I'm not sure I really see the corners at a conscious level without it attached. So, bottom line is I like the larger image, it makes it easier to focus, and if there's a tiny loss of FOV to the corners given the way it all fits, it's negligible and of no issue because if you really need to see what's in a corner, you can do so. Hope that makes sense.

10-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Perfect, I'll order one today. Thanks!

Not sure why I never thought of it before, especially since I find it hard to focus with the A 50 1.4

If it works well for me, I might pick up samyang 85 1.4, or the Mitakon 85 1.2, I am a little worried of manually focusing it without the ovf or lv aid.
10-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Get one. It really helps with focusing. And yes all the information is visible. You need to change the angle of view. It cuts a bit of the brightness of the viewfinder, not excessively.
10-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

every DSLR I have had used has one and it helps tremendously, not just with manual focus lenses...

all of the data I had in the viewer before mounting the O-ME53 is still viewable with it, I just have to adjust my vision a bit to see each display, but I was doing that before it...
10-28-2018, 11:49 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I was having fits with fast lenses so I gambled on a couple of these for my cameras. So far, so good, but I've only got about a day's worth of experience at this time.
10-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ordered one, thank you to everyone that provided info one more question, do you take it off at all, or you keep it on the camera all the time?
10-28-2018, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Ordered one, thank you to everyone that provided info one more question, do you take it off at all, or you keep it on the camera all the time?
I replace the original with the O-ME53 and never take it off...
10-28-2018, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Always on, in fact, been thinking of ordering a second to leave on my K3II.
10-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Always on, in fact, been thinking of ordering a second to leave on my K3II.
it's the first thing I buy when I buy a new body...