Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wear a camelback or similar hydration pack and use it to hang on the light rig. You stay hydrated and it is easy to carry.

11-05-2018, 09:19 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Weights. The thing about weights, is they are weight. They suck getting them to locations. I've fantasized about finding something that works without flying around the world without them ready to go. The closest I ever came, was to get weights at used sporting good stores when I got to my location. Alas, finding weights or using improvised ones, just took too much time. Even if you film around water...you are going to have to play in the water/river to use the bladders to fill, and then put in the bags...wetness all around camera gear. Weights suck, but the only solution I have found was to get smaller lights, and smaller weights.

I fly with 3-4 of the 5lbs weights, already filled and ready to go.
Here they are - Impact Filled Saddle Sandbag (5 lb, Black) SBF-B-5 B&H Photo

There is a correlation to creativity of the shoot, and taking too much time getting ready *for* the shoot.
Depends on the shoot location. One of the shoots is a 50m walk from a parked car, no issue carrying a few kilos for that, the 'venue' I linked before is quite a steep decline and ascent out, not so fun. And tbh actually just dangerous. Bush walking can be treacherous enough as is, having to look out carefully for your footing, not to mention scanning for snakes and what not, added weight increases instability and unnecessary leg fatigue. I think a little extra set up time in those circumstances are reasonable (between the client and tog relationship).

QuoteOriginally posted by Kelvin 5500 Quote
Photoflex used to make a water fillable weight bag for use with light stands or boom arms. They stopped making them because of the liability issue of using water near high voltage lighting equipment. Made of vinyl, they could crack with age.

Westcott makes a durable fabric water fillable weight bag but it is in the $40.00 U.S. plus price range.

There are also economically priced light stand weight bags in which water bottles may be inserted. You could bring empty water bottles and fill them when you arrive at your location.These are fairly new to the marketplace.
Please see: Flashpoint Weight Sand / Water Bottle Bag
And Neewer SP-WCM Photo Video Water Bag with 4 Outer Pouches

I hope this information helps you.

Dennis
Was helpful thanks Dennis. I'm trying to look away from bottles due to extra bulk, I have enough things already dangling off my bags lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I have and use these for such things. Sea to Summit Water Bladders , You can get them at Anaconda ect , most camping stores , different sizes, plus, you can fill the smaller ones with fresh water for drinking during the day. They have a few strap points on them.

Sea To Summit Pack Tap

You can also get fold-up wash basins, they can quickly be filled with sand or whatever and can work as weights as well.

cmohr
Ah! Very good, a local store as well, I can check that out. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
What about a couple of rubber hot water bottles?
Not a bad idea at all! Perhaps they are just a tad too bulky once emptied but they are at least durable! Not sure if even 2-3 full ones are heavy enough tho..

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Have you tried using the Ricoh Image Sync app with smartphone and hand hold the off camera lighting? That is what I would try with one light source in the above situation.
Ew... Image Sync lol. Nah I need to be behind the camera I think, my experience with IS has been less that ideal. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Wear a camelback or similar hydration pack and use it to hang on the light rig. You stay hydrated and it is easy to carry.
Thanks.
11-06-2018, 06:24 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For "one offs" in locations like described, I'd use ziplock bags, plastic shopping bags and a bit of duct tape. Can be used for sand or water. Light and disposable.
11-06-2018, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For these types of locations a few steel tent pegs work for me. They are very light and when they are driven in and hooked over your light stand legs nothing moves it.

Glenn

11-07-2018, 06:10 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
few steel tent pegs work for me
That's brilliantly simple! I've made a mental note to keep a few pegs with my travel tripod.
11-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
For these types of locations a few steel tent pegs work for me. They are very light and when they are driven in and hooked over your light stand legs nothing moves it.

Glenn
That's a good idea, how I overlooked that is beyond me.

Instead of stealing (and losing) my own swag tent pegs I think I'll visit Anaconda and see what they have in store. Did you find certain pegs worked better than others?

I'm imagining some locations this wouldn't work well, such as my example shoot pictured in this thread, the floor was sandy and I can't imagine much grip from driving the peg into the ground at that location. But for sure other surroundings it might work well.
11-12-2018, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm imagining some locations this wouldn't work well, such as my example shoot pictured in this thread, the floor was sandy and I can't imagine much grip from driving the peg into the ground at that location. But for sure other surroundings it might work well.
There are stakes for sand like ToughStake, though a simple garden trowel would probably work at your water location

11-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
There are stakes for sand like ToughStake, though a simple garden trowel would probably work at your water location
Cool! Good to know, ta!
11-13-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Did you find certain pegs worked better than others?

I have only used the pegs off an old tent that was well past its "use by date" and they have served me very well.

Glenn