Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Water 'Sand Bags' Holders?

I recently visited a waterfall spot for a bit of a 'studio' shoot, bringing a couple of light stands with me. I also brought a couple of 2.5kg weight discs (and hooks) to ensure the light stand stays rigid and doesn't fall over. Needless to say the journey in and out of the waterfall location was hard work due to carrying the 'anti-tipple over lightstand system' hehe.

The thought occurred to me that what I really want is some kind of sandbag that is intended to be filled up with water, and then used like a sandbag and placed over the light stand legs. This way I can fill them up and these locations and empty when I am done

Is there such a thing as this? I could take empty containers down but that adds bulk, I'm looking for something that can be folded away after use etc.

Cheers,

Bruce

11-05-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps something like a collapsible water container would work? They come in various sizes and prices.

Generally available at camping outfitters, or e.g., Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?tag=pentaxforums-20&url=search-ali...ater+container
11-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Perhaps something like a collapsible water container would work? They come in various sizes and prices.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?tag=pentaxforums-20&url=search-ali...ater+container
those have been around for years and work quite well as designed to hold water

so a partially filled one would work well as a sand bag, imho, if you wanted a place to support a camera

but I don't know if it would work as a hanging weight, unless you use some type of netting to take the weight off of the container itself

of course, you would need access to water in the actual location
11-05-2018, 12:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote

amazon.com: collabsible water container?tag=pentaxforums-20&
They look a little 'churn and burn'.

I did a search on B&H and found that there are such things as what I seek, but whatta surprise... pretty pricey.

Galaxy Audio Saddle Bag Sand/Water Bag SDB40 B&H Photo Video

Other versions are sandbags with optional 'bladder' inserts (had for cheaper). Ah well... least I know now.

11-05-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
The thought occurred to me that what I really want is some kind of sandbag that is intended to be filled up with water, and then used like a sandbag and placed over the light stand legs. This way I can fill them up and these locations and empty when I am done
Also keep in mind that it can be challenging to fill a collapsible container from open water, depending on the location, time of year, etc. Still, you could save weight on the return trip by emptying containers at the photo site.
11-05-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
those have been around for years and work quite well as designed to hold water

so a partially filled one would work well as a sand bag, imho, if you wanted a place to support a camera

but I don't know if it would work as a hanging weight, unless you use some type of netting to take the weight off of the container itself

of course, you would need access to water in the actual location
Yeah partially filled is what I was thinking, and drapped over. However... would it be too difficult with liquid (vs sand) to get that balance right, so that it doesn't tip over to one side and just fall off all the time

And it would be for a light stand really, just something to assist with peace of mind. My main tripod for the camera has a hook that I can hang my bag off from etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Also keep in mind that it can be challenging to fill a collapsible container from open water, depending on the location, time of year, etc. Still, you could save weight on the return trip by emptying containers at the photo site.
Waters no problem, and two ways to fill, via the pool or a 'nature tap' itself

One of the kids down there was a bit wild, picking up large sticks etc, so I could see him accidentally knocking my light stand down. I just wanted to add a bit of weight around that stand, but carrying 2x2.5kg discs in addition to the camera equipment was not fun, I must travel more lightly for future (what I hope to be) frequent photo shoot visits.
11-05-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Weights. The thing about weights, is they are weight. They suck getting them to locations. I've fantasized about finding something that works without flying around the world without them ready to go. The closest I ever came, was to get weights at used sporting good stores when I got to my location. Alas, finding weights or using improvised ones, just took too much time. Even if you film around water...you are going to have to play in the water/river to use the bladders to fill, and then put in the bags...wetness all around camera gear. Weights suck, but the only solution I have found was to get smaller lights, and smaller weights.

I fly with 3-4 of the 5lbs weights, already filled and ready to go.
Here they are - Impact Filled Saddle Sandbag (5 lb, Black) SBF-B-5 B&H Photo

There is a correlation to creativity of the shoot, and taking too much time getting ready *for* the shoot.

11-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photoflex used to make a water fillable weight bag for use with light stands or boom arms. They stopped making them because of the liability issue of using water near high voltage lighting equipment. Made of vinyl, they could crack with age.

Westcott makes a durable fabric water fillable weight bag but it is in the $40.00 U.S. plus price range.

There are also economically priced light stand weight bags in which water bottles may be inserted. You could bring empty water bottles and fill them when you arrive at your location.These are fairly new to the marketplace.
Please see: Flashpoint Weight Sand / Water Bottle Bag
And Neewer SP-WCM Photo Video Water Bag with 4 Outer Pouches

I hope this information helps you.

Dennis

Last edited by Kelvin 5500; 11-05-2018 at 03:46 PM.
11-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kelvin 5500 Quote
Photoflex used to make a water fillable weight bag for use with light stands or boom arms. They stopped making them because of the liability issue of using water near high voltage lighting equipment. Made of vinyl, they could crack with age.

Westcott makes a durable fabrick water fillable weight bag but it is in the $40.00 plus price range.

There are also economically priced light stand weight bags in which water bottles may be inserted. You could bring empty water bottles and fill them when you arrive at your location.These are fairly new to the marketplace.
Please see: Flashpoint Weight Sand / Water Bottle Bag
And Neewer SP-WCM Photo Video Water Bag with 4 Outer Pouches

I hope this information helps you.

Dennis
a similar thought

water bottles placed into a mesh bag ??

https://www.amazon.com/Whitmor-Mesh-Laundry-Bag-White/dp/B001QD40R4/ref=sr_1...ags+drawstring

not good to support a camera like a sand bag

but as a hanging weight ?
11-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have and use these for such things. Sea to Summit Water Bladders , You can get them at Anaconda ect , most camping stores , different sizes, plus, you can fill the smaller ones with fresh water for drinking during the day. They have a few strap points on them.

Sea To Summit Pack Tap

You can also get fold-up wash basins, they can quickly be filled with sand or whatever and can work as weights as well.

cmohr
11-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

try using pegs?
11-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Water 'Sand Bags' Holders?
What about a couple of rubber hot water bottles?
11-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently visited a waterfall spot for a bit of a 'studio' shoot, bringing a couple of light stands with me. I also brought a couple of 2.5kg weight discs (and hooks) to ensure the light stand stays rigid and doesn't fall over. Needless to say the journey in and out of the waterfall location was hard work due to carrying the 'anti-tipple over lightstand system' hehe.

Is there such a thing as this? I could take empty containers down but that adds bulk, I'm looking for something that can be folded away after use etc.

Cheers,

Bruce
Water jugs and cloth bags with straps for hanging them. For sand, just the cloth bags.
11-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried using the Ricoh Image Sync app with smartphone and hand hold the off camera lighting? That is what I would try with one light source in the above situation.
11-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recycle some goon bags.