Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

Fotodiox or K&F Concept Adapter

Hello All,

I have looked through the forum on this topic and I am still not sure if either of these adpters can allow a M42 lens to focus to infinity on the K1 mkii? Has anyone purchased either of these adapters and had their M42 lens focus to infinity?

Thanks
Mike

11-12-2018, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
why not the original Pentax adapter?
11-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
The original is twice the price and more difficult to find in Canada. I donít use Ebay because I donít like PayPal which is the only option with my Visa.

Mike
11-12-2018, 06:01 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

If the adapter looks similar to the genuine Pentax M42-K adapter (below) it should allow infinity focus.

If it has a wide flange like the adapter below, it will not allow infinity focus.

Fotodiox markets both types and while K&F only has the infinity focus type on its Web site, it is hard to say what might be out there with their branding. Most 3rd-party adapters are branded generic products and the actual sources may vary over time as might the offerings with a particular branding.

Since you have been reading the forum topics regarding adapters, you are probably aware that conventional wisdom is to bite the bullet and purchase the genuine Pentax adapter. There are several reasons, the most important being the risk of a 3rd-party adapter becoming stuck in the mount of one's camera. The risk is not folklore and removal may require serious intervention. I have personal experience with a stuck 3rd-party adapter and won't let them near my camera.

I should qualify that there is a good-sized contingent of Pentax Forum members that use 3rd-party adapters with the retention spring removed. With the spring gone, the risk if getting stuck is negated, but the adapter is also free to move within the mount. Fit is generally tight enough that the risk of rotated off the camera is slim. That, however, is indicative of a more subtle caution. The genuine adapter fits quite loose inside the K-mount and is that way with the intent that the adapted lens will engage its rear flange with K-mount flange and "snug" the adapter up against the K-mount's tensioning springs. With a tight-fitting adapter, the lens is often indexed against the adapter threads rather than the body mount face. (I know, this is hard to visualize without genuine and copy in hand, but obvious when so.) When adapting to K-mount film SLRs, there is an additional risk of a poor copy failing to couple properly for metering. Some adapters may also have a protruding screw that will damage the threads of the M42 lens.

A genuine adapter may be found used for less than a new copy, but until that happens, a common strategy is to get as good a replica as possible, remove the retention spring, and use that as an interim. A close copy of the genuine adapter will have square cut tang ends (not chamfered) either side of the retention spring and a spring that is a close copy of the genuine. A quality adapter will also be well-machined without sharp or rough edges and without metal shavings or shards adhering to the threads. (Yes, I have seen adapters with metal splinters in the threads.)

I hope this helps

Steve

11-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yes that helps alot.

Thanks Steve

Mike
11-12-2018, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rml63 Quote
The original is twice the price
Not to be snide, but there's a reason for that. They just plain fit and work better. If you poke around, you'll find discussions talking about issues removing the cheap ones, fighting with retaining springs and removing and so forth. Not to say they don't work. I have a pile of cheap ones from several sources because I like to leave them installed, and I suffer from LBA, so it would require a small fortune to have all original Pentax adapters. That said, you might find a Dremel handy for improving the performance of a cheap one, and I'd suggest if you are only going to buy one, get the real deal (have a friend snag you one of eBay if you don't want to hassle with it).
11-12-2018, 07:23 PM - 2 Likes   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone, problem solved got the original pentax adapter and 3 lenses off Etsy.

Mike
11-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found older new old stock m42 adapters from the 70s are good also. I have the original Pentax and a Kalt from the 70s or 80s. The Kalt requires a tool but it works very smoothly.

Edit: I see you got the original Pentax adapter.

11-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rml63 Quote
The original is twice the price and more difficult to find in Canada. I don’t use Ebay because I don’t like PayPal which is the only option with my Visa.
eBay recently started to default to credit card for payment, rather than PayPal (they are phasing them out). They have Visa as one of the options, unless things are different on eBay.ca.
11-13-2018, 03:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Not to be snide, but there's a reason for that. They just plain fit and work better. If you poke around, you'll find discussions talking about issues removing the cheap ones, fighting with retaining springs and removing and so forth. Not to say they don't work. I have a pile of cheap ones from several sources because I like to leave them installed, and I suffer from LBA, so it would require a small fortune to have all original Pentax adapters. That said, you might find a Dremel handy for improving the performance of a cheap one, and I'd suggest if you are only going to buy one, get the real deal (have a friend snag you one of eBay if you don't want to hassle with it).

it's easier if you just buy a camera body, one adapter, and use that body as your M42-only body.... but that's where my LBA has led me....
11-13-2018, 04:53 AM   #11
Forum Member

Only issue with the infinity focus adapter is light comes through the notch where the spring is. So if the m42 lens you use doesn't have a large base, it wont cover the hole.

I found this out on my k-01. Since its always live view when you turn it on. I turn on the camera and with the lens cap I can see an faint image that comes thru that cut out.

The helios has a small base flange, its the worst with this lens... I tape it. yeah the fotodiox is cheap get a Pentax one.
11-13-2018, 05:57 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:

The helios has a small base flange, its the worst with this lens... I tape it. yeah the fotodiox is cheap get a Pentax one.
some Helios have this issue, but not all...
11-13-2018, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AsahiGlass Quote
Only issue with the infinity focus adapter is light comes through the notch where the spring is. So if the m42 lens you use doesn't have a large base, it wont cover the hole.
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
some Helios have this issue, but not all...
Some German and former Soviet M42 lenses are unusually narrow at the flange* and will leak light at the notch and/or at the unprotected gap between the adapter and the body flange. Those lenses will also fail to properly engage the K-mount flange and will "rock" in the mount and may also not be able to attain minimum focus distance. This is not a matter of sloppy design or manufacture of the lenses in question, but is the result of the M42 mount working equally well with both broad and narrow flanges on both lenses and bodies. There is variation, even within the Pentax brand, an example of which is my Pentax SV which has a fairly narrow body flange compared to the Spotmatic.

I only have one lens that does not engage the K-mount flange and which both rocks and leaks light, that being my recently acquired BeLomo MC Helios 44-3 58/2.0. I will likely turn to the usual remedies of hair bands or rubber rings. My KMZ Helios 44M 58/2.0 has a generous flange and adapts with no issues.

Steve

* Some early Asahi lenses might also be, though I have no personal experience.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-13-2018 at 09:22 AM.