Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2018, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #1

M42 adapter for K-S2

Now thinking of getting M42 adapter for my K-S2. Realized manual focus isn't all that cumbersome for much of my shooting :-)
And I see a lot of very cheap Takumar lenses in my neighbourhood so quite tempting.

I saw the reviews of the official Pentax adapter on here, but the last one dates from 2016 and in the meantime, prices have realy crept up. For me it is really a "think twice" sort of price (for me) for what is essentially a fun toy item. I already blew too much on my last purchase (Q-S1 ).

I see on Amazon there are plenty of sub $20 items. Are these ok or are they really too risky? It seems foolish to wreck my nice K-S2 over what would be ~$50 or so.
BTW, I see a lot of reference to Pentax "PK mount" in the item descriptions, is that just common short/mis-statement for Pentax K mount? I always thought Pentax only had K mount but just in case I'm wrong, I don't want to get the wrong thing.

11-24-2018, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It really depends on how serious you are about using M42 lenses. There is no other adapter out there that's as high-quality as the Pentax one, so that's one consideration. Some third-party ones have a flange (which prevents infinity focusing) and should be avoided. Others look similar to the genuine one with a varying degree of quality. If you do want to get a third-party adapter, check reviews and be sure it has a similar form factor.

I always recommend that users go with the Pentax adapter. While pricey, it will hold its value and last for a very long time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-24-2018, 11:56 PM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

you'll be wanting the OEM adapter, high price and all... if you decide that M42 isn't your cuppa, you can turn around and sell it for what you paid for it...
11-25-2018, 04:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you are patient you can usually find a genuine Pentax adapter used on eBay for $30 USD or less. At the moment there are two listed at BIN one for $29 free shipping and $29.99 + $6.75 shipping. If you are lucky you can find them in the $15-20 range.

11-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Note that the reviews are in different places:

Pentax Mount Adapter K (M42 Adapter) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Kipon M42 to PK adapter reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

There doesn't seem to be review pages for the flanged adapters or for the clones. I recommend reading this page on pentaxuser.com.

I have all types. I actually strongly recommend picking up a decent (brass plated) flanged one like this. Yes you won't have infinity focus, but, especially with longer focal lengths, a lot of the time you won't notice the absence. These are the simplest and most reliable to use. They basically make your lens like a K mount - all for just the price of a coffee.
My clone worked ok once I had taken off the rough edges with a bit of diy. A common problem is a small screw holding on the locking spring catching the thread on your lens and chewing it up.
Mostly these days I just grab one of my originals, accumulated for very little outlay with lenses. My habit is to use them with the locking spring taken off. The adapter is left on the lens and the lens is mounted just like a k-mount lens. Sometimes I have to use bits of insulating tape to fine tune the fit: either tightening the fit on the lens or as a bit of spacing between the adapter and the lens mount. The disadvantage of this approach is the lens is NOT locked onto the camera.

See also this thread on light leak issues (lenses with a narrow base):

Preventing M42 adapter light leaks and dust ingress - an easy solution! - PentaxForums.com

One final point. The black anodised base of M42 lenses doesn't create a connection with the camera mount contacts. One consequence of this can be that "green buttoning" doesn't work, nor does catch-in focus. The solution to the former is to habitually use Av mode. This works because there is no mechanical connection between the lens iris and the camera. You are therefore using stop-down-aperture-priority metering - focus wide open, stop down and shoot.. The solution to the latter is to create a connection, either by taking off a little of the anodising so that the 7th contact (the one nearest "30-after") connects, or by using a bit of foil, held in situ on the contact as you mount the lens.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 11-25-2018 at 10:37 AM.
11-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I used to use the 3rd party adapters, and they're ok when you remove the spring in them and just keep them on the lenses. Nothing beats the OEM adapter though, it's well worth the slight premium, easily comes on and off with no problems of lenses slipping off like the spring removed 3rd party ones.
11-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you are patient you can usually find a genuine Pentax adapter used on eBay for $30 USD or less. At the moment there are two listed at BIN one for $29 free shipping and $29.99 + $6.75 shipping. If you are lucky you can find them in the $15-20 range.
Those are excellent prices. I found the listing for $29 USD with free shipping and would buy it myself* if not for the OP's need.

Genuine Asahi Pentax Mount Adapter K, M42 Screw Mount to K Mount Adapter | eBay

I would caution the OP that eBay listings often falsely claim that the adapter is genuine Pentax and it is difficult to tell from markings alone. It would not make much difference except that many (most?) clones carry a risk of being very difficult to remove from the body. Getting stuck is due to a few fine differences in how the adapter is machined and the retention spring made. The adapter in the above listing is genuine.

Steve

* I already have three, but that is a great deal.
11-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Those are excellent prices. I found the listing for $29 USD with free shipping and would buy it myself* if not for the OP's need.
My bad, the $29.99 one is actually the Genuine MInolta M42 to Minolta SR (MD) mount adapter. That's a decent price for this adapter but it is missing the little tool which you may actually need to remove the adapter - very tight fit sometimes.

My bad for posting so early in the morning

11-25-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
My bad, the $29.99 one is actually the Genuine MInolta M42 to Minolta SR (MD) mount adapter. That's a decent price for this adapter but it is missing the little tool which you may actually need to remove the adapter - very tight fit sometimes.

My bad for posting so early in the morning
The one I linked above is the real thing, so all is not lost.

Steve
11-25-2018, 09:20 PM   #10
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I used to use the 3rd party adapters, and they're ok when you remove the spring in them and just keep them on the lenses. Nothing beats the OEM adapter though, it's well worth the slight premium, easily comes on and off with no problems of lenses slipping off like the spring removed 3rd party ones.
When I was expecting to use my Takumar lenses on a regular basis, when they were a part of my plan to use my K-30 for another year, before I knew I would be purchasing a KP this Friday {in other words, about a week ago}, I did that -I placed a springless 3rd party adapter "permanently" on each M42 lens, and this "experiment" worked just fine for the few days it lasted.
11-26-2018, 04:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I've tried the Pentax and the cheapo versions. the Pentax is just the best. The cheapo ones have required taking the spring out because after a few uses the spring typically does not hold up. I would premount the cheapo ones but found that it was easy to put it on the wrong way and then its bear to get off.
11-26-2018, 05:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The one I linked above is the real thing, so all is not lost.

Steve
It looks like the prices on the used market are trending up towards the $50-60 USD range again. When the retail price new (but scarce) was in the $24-30 range the used price was trending around the $50-60 USD range. When the price range for new and always in stock went up to the $50-60 range the used market went down to the $20-35 USD range. But as I said before, if you are patient you can usually find them for $30 or less. Whatever the market will bear I suppose.