Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
thomps6s

K20D and AF-540FGZ????

I have searched but am not finding any posts with people having issues with the locking mechanism using the K20D. I suppose that is a good thing, but I would think it wouldn't matter what camera the flash is on, it would still give issues.

Any thoughts or info? I just bought one and am a bit scared to use it.

Thanks,
- Shawn

09-26-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What I remember from the discussions referred to, the problem is not in the camera hot shoe mount, but in the flash. That would imply that a K20d could encounter the same problems, provided the K20d mount has not been adapted.

Cheers,
Syb
09-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm using that combination and have yet to have any problems. (Knocking on wood) I do assume however that I can end up having the same problem as other people.
09-29-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
thomps6s

Thanks guys, I am going to just not use the locking mechanism.

I really wish the lock button actually did it's job on the bounce head. It is soo floppy.

09-30-2008, 08:57 AM   #5

Hi Shawn, from Madison/Fitchburg,

I had the same issue with my AF-540FGZ, and it was very frustrating - at first. Someplace, though, I posted a "fix" to this issue. Basically, you have to carefully remove the hotshoe mount from the flash, and then remove the offending locking pin. This requires that you unscrew the hotshoe mount from the flash, expose the insides of the mount, and then locate the locking pin mechanism. It appears to me that Pentax installed a very cheap mechanism for moving the pin up and down/in and out, and it doesn't work well. You can remove this locking pin and you basically have the same type of flash securing mechanism as every other flash - gripped by friction.

If you look harder, it may be on PentaxForums that I posted my "fix."

Good luck,
Tim!
09-30-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
thomps6s

QuoteOriginally posted by IlluminataPhoto Quote
Hi Shawn, from Madison/Fitchburg,

I had the same issue with my AF-540FGZ, and it was very frustrating - at first. Someplace, though, I posted a "fix" to this issue. Basically, you have to carefully remove the hotshoe mount from the flash, and then remove the offending locking pin. This requires that you unscrew the hotshoe mount from the flash, expose the insides of the mount, and then locate the locking pin mechanism. It appears to me that Pentax installed a very cheap mechanism for moving the pin up and down/in and out, and it doesn't work well. You can remove this locking pin and you basically have the same type of flash securing mechanism as every other flash - gripped by friction.

If you look harder, it may be on PentaxForums that I posted my "fix."

Good luck,
Tim!

Thanks Tim,
You know, I saw that fix, but thought it was only being removed to prevent the you from using the locking mechanism. I just thought it wouldn't work at all.

Nice to know that it will actually tighten without the pin.

I guess i have a project for today.