Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 77tbholmes Quote
Please share your experiences.
I have travelled with my camera gear and my laptop a fair bit. I never, read "never'" check the gear in. I have seen and heard plenty of stories about luggage going through the shoot on its way to the plane and showing up with missing content at the destination. For that reason I never check in my photo gear. It is becoming a lot more difficult because people now almost bring two pieces on board to avoid paying for checked in bags. I am one of the guilty ones. I bring a small carry on and my camera bag which is a back pack type on wheels. As much as the camera bag is bulky, it fits well in the overhead bin. So I have never had any problems with storing the camera bag in the overhead bin.

On an East cost bound trip on United a few years ago, the attended decided that she would make me check my camera bag in because of lack of overhead space. Mind you, I had already checked my carry on and only had my camera bag to bring on board. She made a scene, telling me that I was going to delay the flight by refusing to let my camera bag to go under. She was blaming me if the flight got delayed and that she would get written up because of it. Needless to say I refused. I was going on an assignment and could not afford to have half of my camera bag content go missing. Finally, another kinder attendant, came to my rescue and had me store my camera bag under an empty seat about three or four rows ahead of where I was sitting.This was after the nasty one made me empty out half of the bag and carry it on me to make sure the bag was flat enough to go under the seat.

These days, I avoid United airlines unless I absolutely have no other choice. Luckily this has been the only nightmarish experience with flying with my gear.

Long story short. Do not check your gear in unless you can afford to be without some of your gear when you arrive. I am not being a pessimist. I just think these things happen and I do not want to be a statistic if I can help it.

12-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #17

okay this is what I have done.
[...]

I will have a k3 and k3II a 55-300, Primes 14,35,50, external flash, theta v, small tripod, batteries, cards, chargers, card reader with jump drive for theta.

Thank you everyone for the great ideas and advice, now I am pumped to get out and enjoy.

Todd
Are you on some kind of paid photographic work assignment? Because that is seriously a lot of gear for family vacation travel.

I would respectfully suggest one K-3, no flash, no tripod, and no tele-zoom unless you know you have very specific needs for them.

After 50 years of traveling with a camera, I've discovered the joy of traveling light far outweighs the limited value of those very few shots I might miss by not having a flash, tripod or long tele. Justin Case is not your friend.
12-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
Are you on some kind of paid photographic work assignment? Because that is seriously a lot of gear for family vacation travel.

I would respectfully suggest one K-3, no flash, no tripod, and no tele-zoom unless you know you have very specific needs for them.

After 50 years of traveling with a camera, I've discovered the joy of traveling light far outweighs the limited value of those very few shots I might miss by not having a flash, tripod or long tele. Justin Case is not your friend.
in my limited experience, I would rather carry my gear with me than have it at home, especially if one camera/lens goes down when I am in a locale where I cannot purchase another one

to each his/her own I guess

there is nothing wrong with planning ahead

but I hesitate telling someone that they don't need the gear they plan on taking on their vacation that I know little or nothing about

YMMV

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-09-2018 at 07:29 PM.
12-09-2018, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take my camera gear as my allowed "personal item" which is technically different than a carry on. The personal item must fit under the seat. Some of the smaller planes used on short flights have undersized overhead storage so you must check the carry on planeside. The last flight we were on we watched my wife's carry on bag thrown from the cargo hold right over the ramp and onto the tarmac. Luckily it survived, but that's why you have to be careful. I wouldn't check any gear unless it was packed in a Pelican or the likes.

12-09-2018, 11:31 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

I can totally understand packing the kitchen sink even if it's purely for fun. For me, personally, a good deal of the fun of traveling and sightseeing somewhere far from home is coming home with a good travel portfolio.

Tripod, assortment of lenses to cover reasonably anything I could want to shoot, laptop or chromebook (to dump photos to an external hard drive, not to edit) , and a backup body (might or might not be a second SLR) are all probably coming. I've probably researched a bit so I'm probably not bringing anything I don't have plans to use.

12-10-2018, 06:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Okay my family and I have not traveled a lot by plane and when we did my two Lowe Pro Flispside 400aw as a carry ons worked for size and there was no weight restriction with West Jet. Now I am going to Mexico (direct flight) and I am limited to 5kg on Sunwing. So the question I have is do I check the bag as luggage? Who has tried it and what did you use? All the equipment is insured with a floater so I am not worried that way but I need the equipment when I get there. Please share your experiences. So far Sunwing has not been helpful and essentially told me to keep my equipment at home. Next time it will be West Jet but I still have this trip.
From Canada, you can carry one piece of luggage AND one "personal item". As long as it's not too big, your camera bag qualifies. Never check your camera!
12-10-2018, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster

I am a bit of a boy scout which has paid off. The most important was a trek across western Canada when my K5 freaked out fortunately I had a back up. A flash during a soccer shoot and a lens during another Canada trek. So I would love to travel lighter but I don't trust equipment as it has no sense of duty to me despite my best efforts to treat it kindly. As this trip has been a dream for me since childhood as I always wanted to visit the ruins I am preparing for the worst and praying for the best. So I intend on doing some serious work this time just for me and my family.
12-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a bit of a boy scout which has paid off. The most important was a trek across western Canada when my K5 freaked out fortunately I had a back up. A flash during a soccer shoot and a lens during another Canada trek. So I would love to travel lighter but I don't trust equipment as it has no sense of duty to me despite my best efforts to treat it kindly. As this trip has been a dream for me since childhood as I always wanted to visit the ruins I am preparing for the worst and praying for the best. So I intend on doing some serious work this time just for me and my family.
sounds like a plan

good luck

12-11-2018, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My daughter recently traveled on Amtrak.
I was surprised to see the generous amount of carry-on luggage they allow.

Chris
12-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I take my camera gear as my allowed "personal item" which is technically different than a carry on. The personal item must fit under the seat.
That's also what I do and use a camera messenger bag that fits under the seat, same as my wife's purse. Neither of us ever use the overhead bins for anything other than coats.

Only camera item I ever put in checked luggage was a travel tripod. I only carry gear that fits into my camera messenger bag, so extra large lenses are out.

Putting film in checked luggage is also a big no no, for obvious reasons.

Phil.
12-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
My daughter recently traveled on Amtrak.
I was surprised to see the generous amount of carry-on luggage they allow.

Chris
unfortunately for my part of the country, travel by Amtrak is not a useable option

I understand it is much better in the NE and the Eastern part of the US
12-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well with all the out of the box thinking on this I came across something last night that I had to share. As I have recently bought a Theta V I went to Amazon and bought a COMAN Selfie Stick Tripod Kit MT50 . Now I packed this due to the low footprint and editing needed when using it. So I started to really look carefully at it because of the weight issues. It comes in 2 pieces the stick then the tripod feet. Each carry the standard tripod head and each have a ball head. You can see where this is going so I checked the specs max 2.5kg as a unit. So I mounted a dslr on the foot portion of the tripod it works great. No it's not like my studio tripod or my travelling tripod but you can make it work. So thank you everyone for your assistance I just gained another tool in my kit.