Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
BounceBox Mark 1

I had a bit of time on my hands last week, so I got innovative...

I have three flashes; two bounce-flashes, and one fixed flash (Vivitar 2600-D). Unfortunately the only one that can be safely mounted to my digital SLR is the Vivitar fixed flash. This means if I want a diffused light from a bounce flash, then I need to mount both the camera and a bounce-flash to a bracket, and trigger the flash remotely. Not a convenient arrangement sometimes.

Being a skinflint, I wanted to solve this problem without forking out for a dedicated bounce-flash. The solution is my humble BounceBox, which fits directly to the front of my fixed flash and reflects the light 90 degrees straight up. As it only has that single angle of reflection, the usefulness of the BounceBox is limited, but suits its purpose of allowing me to use my diffuser on the dedicated flash.

This is made of 4mm MDF and good ol' aluminium foil. Velcro tabs hold the box to the flash, and a cheap vinyl diffuser fits over the top rim of the box, held in place with more velcro. I'd considered using a glass mirror as a reflector on the assumption it would do the best job of bouncing maximum light from the flash, but I settled with foil glued to stiff card and glued into place (because I'm lazy and too tight to buy a mirror). As it turns out, the preliminary test-shots show no difference between the light output of the BounceBox, and the output of either of my bounce-flashes, so the foil is doing the job quite nicely.

I painted, spray-varnished and sanded the box, so that it looks less conspicuous when used in public.

I added the logo badge to the front panel because I'm bragging (and a bit of a w-nker).

All up, the whole thing took about six hours to make and cost me next to nothing. The MDF was scavenged (it's the backing of an old photo-frame), the foil came from the kitchen, black paint from an old tube of craft acrylic. The only thing I bought was the velcro stripping (about $4).

Attached Images

Last edited by marcdsgn; 09-30-2008 at 08:04 PM.
09-28-2008, 05:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well-done Marc. Strobist(s) would be proud of you.

I would have to agree with a suggestion made elsewhere - we need a DIY sub-forum.
09-28-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

wow, great idea and the construction seems really professional. well done.
09-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like how so many posters around here, the display and photo illustration work seems so instinctful and second nature.
I mean I realize that some of us here have real jobs and experience in creating product demonstrations and such but the way this guy has the images overlapped and overall presentation as well as many other topics and posts created by others does inspire.
Sorry to get all soft and emotional on ya.

09-29-2008, 05:50 PM   #5

that is really cool :-)
09-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, people. Nice to know you're interested in my whims.

Matt, I forgive your emotional outburst. Heck, when I finished making this thing I wanted to hug something! (I settled for me)

Troy, I love your nature shots. Very nice management of colour. I've been hoping to get over to WA during the wildflower season for years. One day...

And that cat shot should be in a frame!*

*[That is to say, it deserves to be framed and hung proudly on your gallery wall. ...Just to clarify what I meant.]

Last edited by marcdsgn; 09-30-2008 at 12:26 AM.