Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2018, 04:58 AM   #1

Any experience with Pentax replacement focusing screens?

While browsing the viewfinder accesories (translated category name from german), i saw that there are a few replacement focusing screens (was interested by the rule of thirds one). One of them came into my attention by not having any marks on it, so i decided to take a closer look and see what it would be usefull for.

The description for the ME-60 focusing screen is as follows:

"The Matte focusing screen ME-60 blank features an edge-to-edge professional matte finish. Screen greatly enhances manual focusing when paired with large-aperture optics. Compatible with K-5 II, K-5 Iis, K-5, K-7, K-500, K-50, K-30."

If true, and this focusing screen helps with manual focusing lenses, it could be helpfull for more than a few. It might even encurage me to use my manual focus lens collection.

Any feedback is welcome.

12-13-2018, 05:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These screens are mostly useful for a telescope /microscope application or some other where you're not getting much light in your viewfinder. That's when center split rings and other such devices tend to block up and become a bit redundant. If you never use the split ring then you might like a strictly matte screen, but they can be a problem under more normal conditions.
Hope this helps.
12-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ME-60 is just a plain matte screen with no etched markings - it's basically the blank that the MF-60, MI-60, ML-60, etc., are made from. Personally, I don't think it would improve manual focusing over the default MF-60 screen. Now, a properly shimmed 3rd party micro-prism or split-prism screen really does help with manual focusing, but you have to be aware of potential impacts to metering and work around them.

Last edited by THoog; 12-13-2018 at 03:41 PM.
03-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the ME-60 you mentioned. I used to use it with K-5.
it is a clean blank screen and it doesn't seem to affect my K-5 meter. it is a genuine Pentax screen, so you don't have to worry it will affect camera light meter in a bad way.

As for helping manual focus...or not... I guess it is just for marketing. to me, as some already said, it doesn't help me manual focus at all.

And I think it helps me compost image a bit by not having any line printed on. Maybe I should put it back on. I left it in its box for years already.