Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #31

I generally don't use filters other than those for a certain effect, like a CPL and/or ND. Both of those are Hoya filters, and I've good results with them. I feel if I am careful, cautious, and deliberate with my equipment, like keeping the lens cap and hood on, I don't need the added protection a UV filter might provide, Having said that, I don't have the best lenses there are (nor the cheapest), but they are the best I can afford, serve me well, and I would not want to, nor could I afford to repair or replace them. I have trips planned this year to go to Gulf Islands National Seashore and Great Sand Dunes National Park. I have seen the bad effects salt, a corrosive, and sand, an abrasive, can have on glass. I certainly would not want that to happen to the front element or coatings on my lenses. So, I am considering investing in some UV filters to help prevent this, which to me seems to be the general consensus in this thread of the conditions in which UV filters are beneficial.

6 Days Ago   #32
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I generally don't use filters other than those for a certain effect, like a CPL and/or ND. Both of those are Hoya filters, and I've good results with them. I feel if I am careful, cautious, and deliberate with my equipment, like keeping the lens cap and hood on, I don't need the added protection a UV filter might provide, Having said that, I don't have the best lenses there are (nor the cheapest), but they are the best I can afford, serve me well, and I would not want to, nor could I afford to repair or replace them. I have trips planned this year to go to Gulf Islands National Seashore and Great Sand Dunes National Park. I have seen the bad effects salt, a corrosive, and sand, an abrasive, can have on glass. I certainly would not want that to happen to the front element or coatings on my lenses. So, I am considering investing in some UV filters to help prevent this, which to me seems to be the general consensus in this thread of the conditions in which UV filters are beneficial.
Absolutely same here. I'm about to get some Hoya filters for that kind of situation when it is important.
15 Hours Ago   #33
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guys, do you recommend this filter kit:

Hoya 72mm Digital Filter Kit II HK-DG72-II B&H Photo Video
12 Hours Ago   #34

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Guys, do you recommend this filter kit:
For quality purposes, I'd opt for one $60 filter over three $20 filters. Since you're concern is about blowing sand and salt, you can easily get by with a polarizer, since it's likely to be daytime when the wind will cause a problem. The polarizer can act as both a polarizer and protection filter.