Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2019, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I generally don't use filters other than those for a certain effect, like a CPL and/or ND. Both of those are Hoya filters, and I've good results with them. I feel if I am careful, cautious, and deliberate with my equipment, like keeping the lens cap and hood on, I don't need the added protection a UV filter might provide, Having said that, I don't have the best lenses there are (nor the cheapest), but they are the best I can afford, serve me well, and I would not want to, nor could I afford to repair or replace them. I have trips planned this year to go to Gulf Islands National Seashore and Great Sand Dunes National Park. I have seen the bad effects salt, a corrosive, and sand, an abrasive, can have on glass. I certainly would not want that to happen to the front element or coatings on my lenses. So, I am considering investing in some UV filters to help prevent this, which to me seems to be the general consensus in this thread of the conditions in which UV filters are beneficial.

01-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #32
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I generally don't use filters other than those for a certain effect, like a CPL and/or ND. Both of those are Hoya filters, and I've good results with them. I feel if I am careful, cautious, and deliberate with my equipment, like keeping the lens cap and hood on, I don't need the added protection a UV filter might provide, Having said that, I don't have the best lenses there are (nor the cheapest), but they are the best I can afford, serve me well, and I would not want to, nor could I afford to repair or replace them. I have trips planned this year to go to Gulf Islands National Seashore and Great Sand Dunes National Park. I have seen the bad effects salt, a corrosive, and sand, an abrasive, can have on glass. I certainly would not want that to happen to the front element or coatings on my lenses. So, I am considering investing in some UV filters to help prevent this, which to me seems to be the general consensus in this thread of the conditions in which UV filters are beneficial.
Absolutely same here. I'm about to get some Hoya filters for that kind of situation when it is important.
01-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #33
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guys, do you recommend this filter kit:

Hoya 72mm Digital Filter Kit II HK-DG72-II B&H Photo Video
01-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
For quality purposes, I'd opt for one $60 filter over three $20 filters. Since you're concern is about blowing sand and salt, you can easily get by with a polarizer, since it's likely to be daytime when the wind will cause a problem. The polarizer can act as both a polarizer and protection filter.

01-18-2019, 03:06 AM   #35
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
For quality purposes, I'd opt for one $60 filter over three $20 filters. Since you're concern is about blowing sand and salt, you can easily get by with a polarizer, since it's likely to be daytime when the wind will cause a problem. The polarizer can act as both a polarizer and protection filter.
but it includes also ND filter. I just wonder whether or not the quality of these filters are acceptable. Thanks
01-18-2019, 04:30 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
but it includes also ND filter. I just wonder whether or not the quality of these filters are acceptable. Thanks
TANSTAAFL - define "acceptable". Who knows what you would find acceptable quality?

[EDIT]
Your profile states you own a couple of very decent lenses. Putting a $20 filter on either of them is a bit of a waste and a shame.
01-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #37
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
TANSTAAFL - define "acceptable". Who knows what you would find acceptable quality?

[EDIT]
Your profile states you own a couple of very decent lenses. Putting a $20 filter on either of them is a bit of a waste and a shame.

Why the hell I should talk to someone who replies like that on a very simple question "do you recommend" - I don't know but ok. Cheap does not always mean garbage. and that is one of reasons why forum exists where people ask each other and exchange with their opinions. I have enough experience to know that putting just anything in front of your lens will degrade image quality. Question is how much, and every true Pentaxian knows what acceptable quality mean by the way.

Thanks for your help

01-18-2019, 06:13 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just wonder whether or not the quality of these filters are acceptable.
They appear to be acceptable based on Amazon reviews by verified buyers. You can return them if you don't think they're acceptable to you.
01-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #39
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
They appear to be acceptable based on Amazon reviews by verified buyers. You can return them if you don't think they're acceptable to you.
Dude I live in Georgia, returning anything back to USA will cost twice as much as you're paying :}
01-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dude I live in Georgia, returning anything back to USA will cost twice as much as you're paying :}
Good point
01-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I would avoid any of the Phillipines-made Hoya products. They are clearly made to a budget price point and lack the quality coatings Hoya uses on their made-in-Japan filters.

You can see the "Phillipines" mark on the filter ring in the photo. Hold out for better stuff.
01-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #42
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I would avoid any of the Phillipines-made Hoya products. They are clearly made to a budget price point and lack the quality coatings Hoya uses on their made-in-Japan filters.

You can see the "Phillipines" mark on the filter ring in the photo. Hold out for better stuff.
thanks

As long as I know, they have production facilities both in Japan and Phillipines. God knows if they operate same equipment there...