Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #1

M42 adaptor with the pins cut off

I just received an original Pentax M 42 adaptor with the pins cut off . The adaptor mounts fine in the camera however it doesn’t lock into place and is soon as you unscrew a lens the adaptor comes with it . I purchased it from a guy in England . I am assuming the only thing that can be done with it is to return it and get a credit for it?

Mike

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air  Photo 
12-13-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the adapter is missing its spring latch that would have been attached by a small screw. This component -- a key feature of the OEM Pentax Adapter K -- ensures that the lens is mounted securely.

Could the latch have come loose and fallen into the shipping container or packaging material? Otherwise, if the seller had not revealed the true condition of the adapter, I think that a return and refund would be warranted. The seller may not be knowledgeable about this item.

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-13-2018 at 03:23 PM. Reason: correction to "seller may not be..."
12-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #3

An alternative would be to semi-permanently mount it to a lens with thread lock. If the base of the lens is large enough you could optionally cut a slot on the base to match the K-mount locking pin.

Otherwise return it for refund.
12-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rml63 Quote
I just received an original Pentax M 42 adaptor with the pins cut off . The adaptor mounts fine in the camera however it doesn’t lock into place and is soon as you unscrew a lens the adaptor comes with it . I purchased it from a guy in England . I am assuming the only thing that can be done with it is to return it and get a credit for it?

Mike
I have one ring for each lens, so I have removed all the springs because I want the adapter to come off with the lens - I saved the screw and spring {I believe it screws into the hole on the right side of your photo} but I doubt if I'm sufficiently agile to put it back together again. If having the adapter come off with the lens is an issue for you, I would ask for a refund.

Is this just shadows, or has black paint been added to the adapter?

12-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Is this just shadows, or has black paint been added to the adapter?
It very much looks as if paint has been added.

Personally, I wouldn't be satisfied with this adapter, assuming it was sold as being in good, original condition.
12-13-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on that picture I am not sure that is an OEM adapter. Hard to tell from the picture but mine looks a lot better machined than that one. I would return it as not as described unless the pictures clearly showed it without the spring lock.
12-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
I knew you guys would be able to give me all of the options. At first, I thought I would want a refund, but after putting the adapter on and off a few times the convenience of it coming off with the lens is kind of appealing. It makes it like the a K mount lens in that it is a complete unit that can mount on the camera without any other pieces required. I appreciate all the options you guys have provided, but after some thought I am going to get 2 more adapters remove the "pins" and locktite them to the lenses. I have 3 M42 lens no of which were expensive but they are fun to use.

Mike

12-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I knew you guys would be able to give me all of the options. At first, I thought I would want a refund, but after putting the adapter on and off a few times the convenience of it coming off with the lens is kind of appealing. It makes it like the a K mount lens in that it is a complete unit that can mount on the camera without any other pieces required. I appreciate all the options you guys have provided, but after some thought I am going to get 2 more adapters remove the "pins" and locktite them to the lenses. I have 3 M42 lens no of which were expensive but they are fun to use.

Mike
If you are going to do that, which is fine, get cheaper ebay ones not the real OEM one. They are far less expensive and if you are removing the springs anyway why waste the money.
12-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike
The first thing I do when I buy the cheap ones is to remove the spring clip and screw and throw those away. No need for loctite - The adapter will stay on the lens every time.
12-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I take 'em off too.

Be aware that depressing the spring can be a PITA on some of the non-OEM adapters, so sometimes you're better off never bothering. And screwing in lenses with messy old threads can just deposit crud inside your camera. The Loctite is often not necessary, but it depends on the lens and how stiff focusing is, etc.

And BTW not all the non-OEM adapters fit as tight as others on the mount itself. With bigger lenses they can rotate if you have say the camera hanging off a shoulder strap; I like to secure them a bit with gaffer's tape. Some of 'em can have light leaks too. It's kind of a grab bag, but you can make it work.
12-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #11

Original Poster
Rob, could I ask what do you mean by depressing the spring? Are you referring to the small pin out the back of the M 42 mount lens?

Mike
12-15-2018, 10:32 PM   #12

Rob, could I ask what do you mean by depressing the spring? Are you referring to the small pin out the back of the M 42 mount lens?

Mike
The genuine adapter and thrid-party copies use a spring clip to lock the adapter in place on the camera. This part and the mounting hole for it are missing from the adapter you bought.

Pentax Mount Adapter K (M42 Screwmount to K Mount) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database