Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

What filters are you guys using?

I have lens ranging from 49mm to 67 mm and I was thinking of getting the Cokin L series filter holder and filters. I would like a starter set of nd filters and a polarizing filter. I donít want the srew on circular type I would prefer the drop in square type. What brand do you guys recomend?

Mike

12-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really love my Haida filters.

I have the Haida 100-PRO Filter Series with the Nano Polarizer.
Something like this:
https://goo.gl/9dv8UD
^^^ I had purchased from this seller before - I contacted him and asked for the holder, the CPL, and the various ring adapters all in a bulk package and he discounted my bulk purchase.

The filter holder has the circular polarizer built into the holder. Then there are slots to add ND/GND overtop of that.

Very high quality optical glass with very little or no colour cast.

I regularly use Haida's 10-stop filter as well - great quality!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 12-18-2018 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added in URL
12-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Have you considered Lee filters maybe a little more expensive than Cokin but a pretty good range and quality should be a step up?

I am fairly sure that as far as polarising filters go you will need to opt for circular type that sits within the frame.

Lee website allows you to tailor the system to suit - if nothing else it may give you some ideas
LEE System Match - find the recommended System for each of your lenses.

Go cheaper and surprisingly good Zomei
ZOMEI150mm Full Color ND2,4,8,16 filter+77mm ring+holder+16 slotCase For Cokin Z | eBay
12-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a shoe box full of Cokin filters, holders and other paraphernalia. I bought them in my younger, single days when I had something called discretionary income. In these digital days they see little use. I really should take another look.

I bought a couple of variable ND filters on an internet auction last year, but I haven't found a use for them yet.

The one filter that gets some use are the good old circular polarizer. I have several sizes.

12-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
Zomei
I've had pretty bad colour cast experience with Zomei - YMMV
12-18-2018, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lee filters seem to be the go to for most people, I opted with the Firecrest range from Formatt-Hitech instead as the whole system seemed a bit more thought out to me. The polariser fits into the holder and operates with a wheel on the edge and there is gaskets built in to help stop light leaks.
Pricey compared to the cokin stuff but they have sales now and then and they do have a cheaper range of resin filters as well.
12-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Cokin L holders and adapters may be fine (I have a Cokin P holder and a bunch of adapters), but I'd go elsewhere for the filters. In addition to the Cokin P system (85mm filters), I also have the Lee filter holder plus a couple of adapters. But instead of either Cokin filters (a bit on the cheap side) or Lee filters (a bit on the expensive side), I've opted for hi-tech filters, which are relatively decent. However, I only use graduated neutral density filters for the square filter systems. For polarizers and straight ND filters, I use round screw-in filters. They're just a lot easier to use. A square filter system is rather bulky and not something I use all that often.

12-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I've had pretty bad colour cast experience with Zomei - YMMV
I guess thatís a price to be paid for cheap, but...

Can I ask what you mean by bad colour cast, what filter and was the cast not fixable in post I.e something like a cross curve situation?

Not suggesting that your experience wrong but trying to guage expectations and level of the problem
12-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #9
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I ask what you mean by bad colour cast
Sure, I've attached three photos. One was a shot I had taken while composing the shot (without filter).
The second is with a 6-stop (I think, I've since sold the filters) and "As Shot" white balance.
The third is a copy of the second photo, but with a simple eye-dropper auto white balance on some of the grey building parts.

I've since purchased a Haida Filter set.
Optical Glass>Resin
All day long! I get like zero colour cast from Haida

Edit: I think I had stacked a 6-stop and a 3-stop together on this one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 

Last edited by FozzFoster; 12-19-2018 at 06:25 PM.
12-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have irix 15mm lens which is the one I use the most for landscapes. It takes 95mm filters which are crazy expensive. When I was looking for an ND filter I really interested in the breakthrough photography filters. But they are expensive, so I asked them about their square filter holder for drop in filters. The owner of the breakthrough photography got back to me saying that they make these holders because people want them, but there is no way to eliminate light leaks, so my best bet is to get a screw in filter. Which I did and could not be happier.
12-18-2018, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I really love my Haida filters.

I have the Haida 100-PRO Filter Series with the Nano Polarizer.
Something like this:
Haida 100-Pro Filter Holder + 77mm Adapter Ring + CPL / 100mm - Pro Series Kit | eBay
^^^ I had purchased from this seller before - I contacted him and asked for the holder, the CPL, and the various ring adapters all in a bulk package and he discounted my bulk purchase.

The filter holder has the circular polarizer built into the holder. Then there are slots to add ND/GND overtop of that.

Very high quality optical glass with very little or no colour cast.

I regularly use Haida's 10-stop filter as well - great quality!
At the price point Haida can't be beat.
12-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use the cokin p system with cokin resin filters with 49mm (for limited primes) and 72mm adapters (for da 16-85 and 55-300, with a step up ring). My square kit is: 2 and 3 stop graduated, this is the main use, and 1-3 stop nd. They don't seem to degrade sharpness (I've printed an image 20x30 with one of the graduated filters on), but they add a slight color cast on cloudy days. I usually use one graduated and perhaps one nd, stacking 3 does degrade sharpness if I pixel peep. My main concern with them is avoiding flare, it's not by any means terrible to it's of course worse than for coated filters.

I am overall happy with the cokin system, and it was quite affordable compared to other options and for my amateur purposes it works great.

It's more versatile for me than relying on the cokin-system polarizer to use round polarizing filters: a bw (49mm, just excellent) and a cheaper hoya polarizer (72mm, good but not scratch resistant).

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
At the price point Haida can't be beat.
I also like mine. For long exposures, I have a couple of haida nd filters, 6 and 10 stop, in 49mm, and they're excellent with no color cast. The only downside it that the 6 stop requires time compensation closer to a 7 stop filter, but the 10 stop is very much accurate.
12-19-2018, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Sure, I've attached three photos. One was a shot I had taken while composing the shot (without filter).
The second is with a 6-stop (I think, I've since sold the filters) and "As Shot" white balance.
The third is a copy of the second photo, but with a simple eye-dropper auto white balance on some of the grey building parts.

I've since purchased a Haida Filter set.
Optical Glass>Resin
All day long! I get like zero colour cast from Haida
Wow, that is a crazy example of something gone very wrong. Perhaps you were just unlucky with yours? Manufacturing fault or other I would not like to say.

What I was expecting to see is a slight colour cast either towards red/pink or blueish, depending on mnfctr. Typical Cokin from what I have seen

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brentbat/2372603825

My own mention based on the cheap set I got from the bay. Cerainly a match for, if not better than the Cokin example. Still no match to a good quality optical glass from other well known mnfctr that will produce a neutral image without the need for much post work

Last edited by TonyW; 12-19-2018 at 03:52 AM.
12-19-2018, 07:45 AM   #14
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, that is a crazy example of something gone very wrong.
That's entirely possible that I got a dud. I didn't want to try resin again so took the step up to optical glass..

Edit: I think I may have stacked a 6-stop and a 3-stop together on this one.

Last edited by FozzFoster; 12-19-2018 at 06:24 PM.