Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian
jddwoods's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 869
Looking for recommendations for a backpack.

Hello All
I am looking for feedback and recommendations for a photo gear backpack. What I would typically need it for would be for traveling and would be able fit the following equipment:
K-3 with a small lens such as 21 or 40 limited attached, DBG5 grip but not attached to the camera, DA 16-85, DA 55-300 PLM or DFA 100 WR, DA*300 and the 1.4X TC. probably the hardest item to fit would be the DA* 300
I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has a backpack that is comfortable to wear and can accommodate these (or equivalent sized) lenses. I do not travel with a tablet or laptop so I do not need a computer specific backpack.
Thanks, and Happy Holidays to All

12-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian
amoringello's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,547
Look at the ThinkTank StreetWalker series. I have the larger one for the K1 with grip, 70-200 and a few other lenses and flashes.
My wife has the smaller one which fits the K3/lenses size very well.
They are the most comfortable camera bags I've worn. Been hiking for 10+ hours loaded with gear and had no back, neck or shoulder strain. K1, grip, extra batteries, 70-200, 24-70 and 15-30 -- all relatively heavy lenses. tripod, bottle of water, etc... I can't recall the total weight but 20+lbs is probably not out of the question.
12-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pjv's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,763
Hi John, moving this thread to another forum, as the Product Suggestion and Feedback forum was set up initially for members to propose improvements or give feedback on existing PENTAX products, or to suggest new products.

What to post in the feedback forum - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by pjv; 12-21-2018 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Typo
12-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,500
Edit: @jddwoods, in your list of lenses, do you want to carry a DA 16-85, or DA 55-300 or DFA 100? or the DA 16-85 and one of the other two?


I was in a similar situation this past summer -- I was looking for a fairly compact backpack for a vacation trip to Newfoundland.

After extensive research, I ended up buying a Lowepro Flipside 200 AW II.

For the trip, my kit included a K-3 II and four lenses -- DA 21, DA 35 Ltd, DA* 50-135mm, and DA* 300 (specifically for a planned whale/bird watching cruise). Other items included a zipper pouch with cleaning supplies, one extra battery, a small wallet with SD cards, three lens filters, and an XRite Passport white balance target. Total mass including the bag was about 4.5 kg.

One of my driving requirements was for the bag to accommodate all gear with any of the lenses mounted and the rest stored securely. In fact, my desire to carry the DA 300 mounted meant that I could not use my existing Tamrac Evolution 6 backpack.

I don't have a need to carry a tablet or laptop.

I had been planning to take the battery grip, but deliberately left it at home (last minute decision before departure), without remorse. However, the bag can accommodate all of the mentioned items plus the battery grip either mounted or unmounted, although with no space to spare.

Some of the features I like:
  • Backside entry to the bag
  • Slim profile/footprint
  • Storage compartment in the front for the misc. items
  • Side pouches for water bottle, small snacks or other stuff.
  • Seems well built
I had no issues with the bag as an airplane carry-on item -- easy to stow onboard.

The shoulder webbing is not heavyweight, so it doesn't offer the same suspension support as bigger backpacks, and the hip belt is just a simple strap. However, I carried the bag on numerous half-day hikes without any problems. It's comfortable enough for it's size and filled weight.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions.

- Craig



Last edited by c.a.m; 12-20-2018 at 08:04 PM.
12-20-2018, 08:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,329
The LowePro Flipsides look really good, but for what it's worth I have a Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L. I recently took it to Antarctica and could not have been happier with it.

It accommodated my K-1, KP+grip, DA10-17, DFA15-30, DA*55, DFA28-105 and DFA150-450, so it would swallow your kit comfortably.

Here it is on the floor of a Zodiac in a blizzard. More often it was on my back with both cameras attached to the harness using Capture Clips.

12-20-2018, 09:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 14,706
I'm fairly certain the Amazon basics dslr bag would work. My older version should. I can try to put a kit into it to show what it can hold.

That bag is $29 at Amazon right now. Nothing fancy.
12-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,423
I've reviewed quite a few backpacks, so I can help you some...

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I am looking for feedback and recommendations for a photo gear backpack.
Do you intend to wear the backpack for long periods, or simply carry your gear when moving from place to place? Do you need to fit a lot more stuff in there? Clothes, food, anything else? Will you have a separate suitcase? Will you be traveling by plane, car, train, bike, feet, horse?

Tell me a bit more.

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
K-3 with a small lens such as 21 or 40 limited attached, DBG5 grip but not attached to the camera, DA 16-85, DA 55-300 PLM or DFA 100 WR, DA*300 and the 1.4X TC. probably the hardest item to fit would be the DA* 300
There will be options available even for that lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who has a backpack that is comfortable to wear and can accommodate these (or equivalent sized) lenses. I do not travel with a tablet or laptop so I do not need a computer specific backpack.
Most, if not all, backpacks will have that feature so it will be there should you need it.
12-21-2018, 06:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member
mickey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Japan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,081
I am considering this bag by K&F.
I have a similar sized kit excluding the 300.
I sold a couple of Hakuba backpacks because I found them great for carrying gear, but not arranged to carry other pwrsonal items, extra layers of clothing for example.
I want one that looks smart as well as practical so that I can use it as a bag to work on my daily commute.

This one has half for camera gear and half for other storage space.

Also has a waterproof cover.

Edit:
Couldnt post a link.
K&F Concept backpack.
Navy and tan, should bring up some pictures in a search.

You tube video:
K&F Concept Waterproof Camera Backpack


Last edited by mickey; 12-21-2018 at 06:33 AM.
12-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian
jddwoods's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 869
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I've reviewed quite a few backpacks, so I can help you some...



Do you intend to wear the backpack for long periods, or simply carry your gear when moving from place to place? Do you need to fit a lot more stuff in there? Clothes, food, anything else? Will you have a separate suitcase? Will you be traveling by plane, car, train, bike, feet, horse?

Tell me a bit more.



There will be options available even for that lens.



Most, if not all, backpacks will have that feature so it will be there should you need it.
Hello Bdery:

Thanks for your response. I am looking for the backpack to be used mainly for airline travel, and also occasionally for biking and dedicated birding hikes. While I want the backpack to be able to fit all of the equipment I noted, I may not always be carrying all of it on every outing, especially when hiking or biking. While I do not intend to use it for anything more than carrying my photo gear, I may also add a snack or binoculars if space permits, but not any non-photography items. I currently have a Tamron evolution 6 backpack and found it too small inside to fit larger lenses such as my DA* 300 or even adding a prime or two to the two zoom kit (K-3, DA 16-85 and 55-300 PLM) I took on a recent trip. That is when I realized I needed something with more capacity. My budget would be up to $200 USD.

I hope this helps

---------- Post added 12-21-18 at 02:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Edit: @jddwoods, in your list of lenses, do you want to carry a DA 16-85, or DA 55-300 or DFA 100? or the DA 16-85 and one of the other two?


I was in a similar situation this past summer -- I was looking for a fairly compact backpack for a vacation trip to Newfoundland.

After extensive research, I ended up buying a Lowepro Flipside 200 AW II.

For the trip, my kit included a K-3 II and four lenses -- DA 21, DA 35 Ltd, DA* 50-135mm, and DA* 300 (specifically for a planned whale/bird watching cruise). Other items included a zipper pouch with cleaning supplies, one extra battery, a small wallet with SD cards, three lens filters, and an XRite Passport white balance target. Total mass including the bag was about 4.5 kg.

One of my driving requirements was for the bag to accommodate all gear with any of the lenses mounted and the rest stored securely. In fact, my desire to carry the DA 300 mounted meant that I could not use my existing Tamrac Evolution 6 backpack.

I don't have a need to carry a tablet or laptop.

I had been planning to take the battery grip, but deliberately left it at home (last minute decision before departure), without remorse. However, the bag can accommodate all of the mentioned items plus the battery grip either mounted or unmounted, although with no space to spare.

Some of the features I like:
  • Backside entry to the bag
  • Slim profile/footprint
  • Storage compartment in the front for the misc. items
  • Side pouches for water bottle, small snacks or other stuff.
  • Seems well built
I had no issues with the bag as an airplane carry-on item -- easy to stow onboard.

The shoulder webbing is not heavyweight, so it doesn't offer the same suspension support as bigger backpacks, and the hip belt is just a simple strap. However, I carried the bag on numerous half-day hikes without any problems. It's comfortable enough for it's size and filled weight.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer any questions.

- Craig
Craig:

Thanks, looks like you had a similar situation as mine. I also have the Tamrac evolution 6 and in a recent outing to Costa Rica I realized I needed something with more capacity. Specific to your question I need it to fit the 16-85 zoom, with either the 55-300 PLM or the DFA 100 Macro WR, and the DA* 300. I found with the Tamrac evolution 6, I brought the K-3, 16-85, 55-300 PLM and the DA 15 Limited. I ended up having to leave behind the DA* 300, D BG5 Grip and the 1.4 TC due to lack of space. I will take a look at the Lowepro Flipside and also the Peak Design Every Day backpacks.

Happy Holidays

---------- Post added 12-21-18 at 02:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The LowePro Flipsides look really good, but for what it's worth I have a Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L. I recently took it to Antarctica and could not have been happier with it.

It accommodated my K-1, KP+grip, DA10-17, DFA15-30, DA*55, DFA28-105 and DFA150-450, so it would swallow your kit comfortably.

Here it is on the floor of a Zodiac in a blizzard. More often it was on my back with both cameras attached to the harness using Capture Clips.
Sandy: Thanks, these packs are definitely worth checking out. Looks like they would easily fit my gear.
12-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,500
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I will take a look at the Lowepro Flipside
I tried my Flipside 200 for potential fit of a kit similar in size to the gear you listed. I'm afraid that it will likely not accommodate your stuff -- just too tight.

I tried to pack the following:
  • DA* 300
  • DA 18-135 (for the 16-85)
  • Tamron 90mm macro (for the 55-300)
  • DA 21 Ltd (for the 1.4x TC)
  • Grip not attached
  • K-3 II with DA 35mm Ltd attached
I had to choose between one of the zoom lenses and the grip -- I couldn't figure how to pack both. And I think my 18-135 is a bit smaller than the 16-85.
12-22-2018, 12:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,500
I think that you'd have to go to the next larger Flipside -- the 300 -- if you were interested in this series.
12-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 14,706
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Hello All
I am looking for feedback and recommendations for a photo gear backpack. What I would typically need it for would be for traveling and would be able fit the following equipment:
QuoteQuote:
K-3 with a small lens such as 21 or 40 limited attached
DBG5 grip but not attached to the camera
DA 16-85
DA 55-300 PLM or DFA 100 WR
DA*300 and the 1.4X TC
PZ-1 with Grip and DA70 (for K-3/DA40)
DBG5 grip
DA 55-300 (Original SMC version)
DFA 100 (extra spaceholder)
DA 40 + FA 300 + HD 1.4x TC (as a sub for the DA 300)
DA 16-50 (subbing for DA 16-85)

The hood for the DA 16-50 is not shown - I laid it on top of the lens horizontally to save space.
The DA 300 is larger in diameter than the FA 300 - but as you can see the DA 55-300 and PZ-1 have a lot of spare space around them.

Sadly the lowly Amazon Basics (non-laptop version) DSLR bag has shrunk. My bag inside dimensions are roughtly 15 inches x 11.5". The current bag isn't that big outside! The combined DSLR/Laptop bag is fine however. It is also almost 2 inches deeper. I would think that the extra space available in that bag, the DA 300 will easily fit in there - particularly if you put it in the center and moved the camera around to one side. The bag is quite flexible and deep - the DFA 100 will fit in vertically easily.

01-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,423
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
Thanks for your response. I am looking for the backpack to be used mainly for airline travel, and also occasionally for biking and dedicated birding hikes. While I want the backpack to be able to fit all of the equipment I noted, I may not always be carrying all of it on every outing, especially when hiking or biking. While I do not intend to use it for anything more than carrying my photo gear, I may also add a snack or binoculars if space permits, but not any non-photography items. I currently have a Tamron evolution 6 backpack and found it too small inside to fit larger lenses such as my DA* 300 or even adding a prime or two to the two zoom kit (K-3, DA 16-85 and 55-300 PLM) I took on a recent trip. That is when I realized I needed something with more capacity. My budget would be up to $200 USD.

I hope this helps
I was away for most of the holidays, so sorry for the late reply...

For your requirements and price target, I'd have a look at Mindshift Gear's smaller and lighter backpacks. The Horizon, which I own and love, might not be big enough for the larger lenses you mention (it would be by adding the additional insert to the top, but that would make it overly expensive). I haven't used the bags I refer to, but have heard good things about them, and really like Mindshift Gear products in general.

There are also many Lowepro options out there. While in general they are not as refined as some other brands, they certainly are very good and get the job done.
01-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,179
have you checked out the reviews:

Backpacks - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
backpack, backpacks, bag, battery, customer service, da, da*, evolution, gear, grip, lens, lenses, recommendations, ricoh imaging, suggestion, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hex Raven Medium DSLR Backpack or Hex DSLR Backpack Saltwater Images Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 2 02-26-2018 07:48 PM
Looking for film recommendations IgorZ Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom 19 08-03-2017 07:45 AM
A camera backpack that doesn't have to be a camera backpack? applejax Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 19 03-29-2016 02:42 PM
Small Backpack Recommendations? Biff Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 12 04-28-2014 07:26 AM
Recommendations on backpack style bag Jennifer Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 15 06-29-2007 08:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top