Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2018, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would reckon your tripod is fine for lenses up to a couple of kilos or so. The strength ratings of tripods for me are pretty meaningless - it's all about rigidity and how its being used. Any issue with your soligor 450mm will be due to its length, not weight, its not that heavy - what I refer to as bendy ruler syndrome, an inherent tendency for a long thin object to wobble and vibrate. You should check out some of the u-tube videos discussing things like weighting the tripod.

I customise plates for long lenses (this pic here shows the use of a cheap macro rail on the heavy and way out of balance tamron 200-500mm) so I can get them balanced - counters sag and wobble. However one counter point is that shutter/mirror related vibrations are best militated against by mounting the tripod at the camera - locks the camera down. If you suspect camera related vibrations then you can get tricky with two tripod or tripod + monopod set ups, dampening with sand bags etc

12-23-2018, 06:38 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I would reckon your tripod is fine for lenses up to a couple of kilos or so. The strength ratings of tripods for me are pretty meaningless - it's all about rigidity and how its being used. Any issue with your soligor 450mm will be due to its length, not weight, its not that heavy - what I refer to as bendy ruler syndrome, an inherent tendency for a long thin object to wobble and vibrate. You should check out some of the u-tube videos discussing things like weighting the tripod.

I customise plates for long lenses (this pic here shows the use of a cheap macro rail on the heavy and way out of balance tamron 200-500mm) so I can get them balanced - counters sag and wobble. However one counter point is that shutter/mirror related vibrations are best militated against by mounting the tripod at the camera - locks the camera down. If you suspect camera related vibrations then you can get tricky with two tripod or tripod + monopod set ups, dampening with sand bags etc
Morning, Marcus!

The tendency to wobbly also applying to the third extension on the tripod - hence, the greater stability of using only two.

The biggest disadvantage to any tripod is my height - I invariably have to lean over to use them.

So, if I understand you, and my feeling, correctly, this tripod will likely work well with a good head on it. And, if the base isn't suitable, I can likely use the head on another base.
12-23-2018, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're not too worried about portability, a good choice is the Davis and Sanford Provista tripod with an FM18 fluid head. It's meant for videography with heavier cameras, and is very stable. The fluid head allows for controlled motion, or if you decide to go with a tracking mount like the Star Adventurer, you can remove the head and put that on instead(this is what I have).
12-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
If you're not too worried about portability, a good choice is the Davis and Sanford Provista tripod with an FM18 fluid head. It's meant for videography with heavier cameras, and is very stable. The fluid head allows for controlled motion, or if you decide to go with a tracking mount like the Star Adventurer, you can remove the head and put that on instead(this is what I have).
I've seen Davis and Sanford and wondered about them. I take it they're better known in the video world?

---------- Post added 12-23-18 at 01:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
Also, the Star Adventurer kit looks like a fantastic piece of equipment. Does it also align and find based on GPS?[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by jawats; 12-24-2018 at 01:05 PM.
12-23-2018, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unless you're tracking, the only thing that matters with the tripod (other than the fact it safely can hold your camera and lens) is vibration once the shutter is tripped. Even a wimpy tripod can work since it's just positioning your shot and once any vibration dies out, you're in business. Of course, when the shutter trips, a sturdy tripod may offer less vibration than the wimpy one. Using a remote to trip the shutter is a must since touching the camera/lens will introduce shake that takes some time to die out and you can knock it off the subject if you attempt to press the shutter button with your finger.

Once you have your subject centered just don't touch the camera or tripod and use a remote to trip the shutter - see if that works for you.
12-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Unless you're tracking, the only thing that matters with the tripod (other than the fact it safely can hold your camera and lens) is vibration once the shutter is tripped. Even a wimpy tripod can work since it's just positioning your shot and once any vibration dies out, you're in business. Of course, when the shutter trips, a sturdy tripod may offer less vibration than the wimpy one. Using a remote to trip the shutter is a must since touching the camera/lens will introduce shake that takes some time to die out and you can knock it off the subject if you attempt to press the shutter button with your finger.

Once you have your subject centered just don't touch the camera or tripod and use a remote to trip the shutter - see if that works for you.
Bob,

I usually use a 12s timer for my moon shots. I've also programmed one of my old universal remotes to trigger the shutter, so I can do MUP shooting. What would really help, however, would be to have just ONE blessed night out of 25 be clear overhead.
12-24-2018, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Bob,

I usually use a 12s timer for my moon shots. I've also programmed one of my old universal remotes to trigger the shutter, so I can do MUP shooting. What would really help, however, would be to have just ONE blessed night out of 25 be clear overhead.
That's a very common problem which has a solution - use a special tripod that comes with an airplane ticket to Arizona or some parts of Africa. I hear you!

12-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
That's a very common problem which has a solution - use a special tripod that comes with an airplane ticket to Arizona or some parts of Africa. I hear you!
Bob,

You just might be on to something there. I was thinking of something crazy, like hopping an Allegiant air flight from here in South Bend to someplace like Phoenix, for a weekend of photography.