Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2019, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cannot really see the added value for wideangle landscape, perhaps to get just a little longer shutter speeds than SR allows for? But indeed, tripods are better for that because they allow much more.

I do use monopods regularily (sometimes a dedicated one, sometimes a detached leg from tripod, and since shortly a Steadify), but mostly for longer/heavier lenses.

SR does a great job in stabilizing the image taking part, but it does not stabilize the view finder pre exposure. As such having a more stable base can allow more precise composition, which matters for landscape. Also it helps keeping the composition stable between exposures which I find sometimes hard handheld with long lenses. Note that I find exposure bracketing for HDR very useful for landscape, but I also do a lot of stacking/blending of equal exposures for higher resolution (e.g. for more crop than the longest focal length available would normally allow for) or high ISO noise reduction. A tripod is better for exposure bracketing, but slightly less efficient for the latter two since those techniques benefit from slight shifts in framing between exposures (which is exactly what using a monopod results in).

For really heavy glass, a monopod also means I can rest the camera/lens from time to time, giving my arms a little respite... If it wouldn't be for a monopod, I would never be able to use my DFA150-450 on a full day hike.

hth, Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 01-07-2019 at 05:33 AM.
01-07-2019, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am a monopod user, it was pointed out to me a long time ago that most of the motion blur comes from when you press the shutter ie...it is down and up. A solid, well built monopod takes that movement away and is better than nothing. However a monopod does not replace a good tripod. Sure IBIS helps, but I will keep using my monopod as well.
01-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Benro C49 carbon fiber monopod is a constant companion for the 150-450 mm plus K3 because it provides stability when a bird flies into view and there is no time to change shutter speeds, being less conductive carbon fiber provides comfort in hot or cold temperatures, and it makes panning easier due to the small rubber foot and socket joint . I use a sirui L-10 mostly or a movo gimbal head (which is a bit heavy ) when BIF photos are planned . Maximum weight it is designed for is 39.7 lbs. and a max height of 72 inches which works for me . The leg locking tabs at first seemed likely to snag on brush and noisy but these factors turned out to be minor. It is too bad this model is discontinued but newer models may be even better. I have happily used this mono for close to 300 hours .
10-30-2019, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
for the first time about two weeks ago I tried out using a monopod on my DFA 150-450/K3/grip at a car show and drag race. the monopod is a leg off of my tripod that converts to a monopod, it also has a quick disconect plate along with a ball head. at first I really didnt think I was going to use it, but once I fired off my first shots with the combo, I was hooked to using the monopod. it helps extremely with the weight of the camera/lens/grip set up at 8.25 pounds. I found that I can actually relax with it and concentrate on my shooting and not on the weight. I will most likely go and get a dedicated monopod, because I really see me using it extensively

11-01-2019, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

For landscape use, I put K20 with Sigma 10-20 lens on monopod, then raise it above my head, firing with IR remote. Often gives landscape a whole new viewpoint, even if only raised by a foot or so. Also useful for shooting over the heads of crowds, and of course tripping people up who intrude on my personal space.
11-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
For landscape use, I put K20 with Sigma 10-20 lens on monopod, then raise it above my head, firing with IR remote. Often gives landscape a whole new viewpoint, even if only raised by a foot or so. Also useful for shooting over the heads of crowds, and of course tripping people up who intrude on my personal space.
I should try that, great tip about the extra height. I usually have a tripod with me for landscapes, to help compose the shot if nothing else, but my tripod isn't that tall and taller tripods are heavy/expensive.
02-07-2020, 11:23 PM   #22
Forum Member

Hi, old thead, probably stupid question: When using a monopod, should SR be turned off? I started using a MP for my K3 DA300 combo.

02-07-2020, 11:57 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rml63 Quote
I have read a few articles stating that a monopod could be useful for more stable landscape shots. I can see this if I didn’t have IBIS, but I just don’t see the benefit. I have shot off my tripod , but I don’t see the MP replacing that any time soon? What do you guys use your MP for beyond sports and wildlife?

Mike
I use my monopod for absolutely nothing. I was never a big fan of them at the best of times as my shooting style isn’t really compatible with them. Were I a sports shooter, I would have a different take on them I’m sure, but I’m not, and I prefer tripods.
02-08-2020, 01:02 AM   #24
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I do have one, but don't see much use for it. If exposure is too slow to handheld with IBIS, I take out the tripod for the best IQ. I don't mind using tripod in low light, so I take it out quite easily and don't try to push handheld performance. In sports my preferred disciplines and style need so fast shutter speed that motion blur is no issue handheld even with 300mm lens and M primes are small and light to hold, so no need for monopod there either.
02-08-2020, 02:11 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t have IBIS so when not carrying a tripod find a monopod/ballhead combo useful. The one thing that would improve it is a claw foot or suchlike to reduce pivoting movement. For landscape the tripod is preferred.
02-08-2020, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcel K Quote
Hi, old thead, probably stupid question: When using a monopod, should SR be turned off? I started using a MP for my K3 DA300 combo.
Personally I find the monopod very useful: I have SR on. I reason that there'll be movement, albeit not the same as hand-hold, so the SR should help. I've been happy with the results. I tend to use it when I want a discrete support, where a tripod can't be used, or when I want to travel lighter - neither usages are with a large lens, so I wouldn't like to say how SR works with a 300mm. Should be a simple experiment to test ...
02-08-2020, 08:34 AM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Personally I find the monopod very useful: I have SR on. I reason that there'll be movement, albeit not the same as hand-hold, so the SR should help. I've been happy with the results. I tend to use it when I want a discrete support, where a tripod can't be used, or when I want to travel lighter - neither usages are with a large lens, so I wouldn't like to say how SR works with a 300mm. Should be a simple experiment to test ...
Thanks Barry. I’m still experimenting with the monopod. Other than preventing fatigue I haven’t seen huge differences imagewise, but I have no problems handholding the da300 for my purpose and shooting style. I adjust my camera settings accordingly. As others have already said for landscapes n slower shutter times a tripod is my go to option.
04-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have once or twice tried the combination of a pistol grip on top of a monopod with a ball head, camera onto pistol grip. Pistol grip also has a shutter release cable connection. Provides a degree of flexibility following birds working their way round a tree or bush. Have even considered (but not yet tried in the field) the idea of a shoulder brace with pistol grip, on top of a monopod. The shoulder brace was used back in the 70s early 80s with a Pentax K2 film and Pentax 400mm 5.6 lens - birds in flight, even shoots at model aeroplane meets. Had to replace the original pistol grip for the shoulder brace, which was designed to operate a mechanical cable shutter release with a pistol grip for electronic shutter cable release.

Mid 70s now, so Iike to find a fence post, or tree, to lean against, even with a monopod. But I always have my Vanguard Alta Pro 2+ 263 tripod in the car boot. Until I get a flash and diffuser/snoot set-up, hand-held macros are out for me - I waver all over the place!! Especially if I have to lean over a subject!!
04-19-2020, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see monopods often at Lacrosse games used by shooters with 600mm lenses. The guys who stand in one spot with a stovepipe on a stick get the same shot over and over - stop-motion ball in flight, goalie stick too late, net bulging. Over and over. The only thing that changes is the colors of the jerseys. My son runs the entire sideline following the action and shoots 2 bodies. 24~70 and 70~210 on APSc. It’s a workout but he sells a lot oi images.

I carry and use a carbon fiber monopod and Manfrotto tilting head with QR for anything other than low ISO landscape and snapshots.
04-20-2020, 03:52 AM   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by rml63 Quote
Monopods for landscape?
I must admit I can't really see a benefit for that genre of photography... but hey, each to their own.

On the rare occasions I use my monopod, it's not for landscapes... mines for covering sporting events, when supporting long heavy glass for long periods such as on a touchline for example, which for me becomes unworkable without.