Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2018, 04:18 AM   #1

Monopods for landscape?

I have read a few articles stating that a monopod could be useful for more stable landscape shots. I can see this if I didn’t have IBIS, but I just don’t see the benefit. I have shot off my tripod , but I don’t see the MP replacing that any time soon? What do you guys use your MP for beyond sports and wildlife?

Mike

12-25-2018, 04:24 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't quite see the value either, unless using a camera and lens combo with no image stabilisation and shutter speeds slower than suggested by the reciprocal rule. It seems to me that either hand-held is sufficient, or if you want the absolute best outcome, a tripod.

I guess a monopod might come in handy for multiple shot panorama work, but only slightly more so than hand-held... and a tripod plus pan head would be better still.
12-25-2018, 05:45 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It makes sense, with a little practice. If you think of your two legs and two arms being two parts of the tripod, the monopod adds the third stable part, and depending on the lens, that little bit of stability makes all the difference between a clear steady shot and a slightly off shot.. I actually own a walking stick the has a thread head to become a monopod as needed. Very handy for hiking, led cumbersome than a tripod.
12-25-2018, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #4

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes I'll bring a tripod with me on hikes, but I almost always carry a monopod. I use it mainly for telephoto / wildlife, but it's helpful for landscapes, too. I've wrapped two 1" velcro straps around the thing, and they're always there for me when I want to strap it to a fence post or small tree trunk for more stability when doing long or multiple exposures.

12-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have talked to a number of "professionals" about this and the consensus was "Yeah, I think I have one in the back of the closet." It is a tool to fit a particular job. It seems obvious that the time saved of setting a tripod might make the mono important when you have to work quickly. I have seen sports people use them as they can be moved with less trouble than tripod. It is possible to be in a tight area that would not accommodate a tripod. If the terrain is rough it is a walking stick, as has been mentioned, and less to lug into the outback. I probably have used mine as a walking stick 10 times more often than for photos.
12-25-2018, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If used correctly, a monopod is quite useful. The key word if correctly. Most photographers I see using them, don't use them correctly.
12-25-2018, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t know if this would be considered a “proper use,” but when shooting the 645D in a location that forbade me from extending my monopod I placed the foot on my stomach just inside my belt without extending it. It helped me get this shot: https://stephenjfletcher.zenfolio.com/p778761708/e4070603F. I’ve also used the technique with my K-1 with a heavier lens attached.

12-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rml63 Quote
What do you guys use your MP for beyond sports and wildlife?
I had two monopods and sold both of them. Nowadays, I have a few tripods and one of them has a removable leg that is intended to be a monopod. For me, IBIS eliminates the need for monopod unless you have a very heavy lens and body combo (k1 with a 300 f2.8 or 600mm lens for instance). If I were you, I would buy one of the tripods that has a removable leg that converts to a monopod. This way you get best of both worlds.
12-25-2018, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spoiler alert: I use monopods regularly despite having IBIS. It is an old habit from 40 years of film plus big glass. Add a medium telephoto to an ibis body plus old human and a monopod or tripod still has value. Younger bods & eyes can disregard this, but I find extra support helps finer details at slower shutter speeds. I also shoot film still. So my Gitzo’s go with me, including panorama heads and a wonderful travel, CF monopod. I get the above opinions about not needing them and ibis really helps me too!
12-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffdrew Quote
Spoiler alert: I use monopods regularly
Me, too. But.....like most aspects of photography and photography equipment, personal preference comes into play.
My Oben CTM-2500 is a carbon fiber monopod, up to 65", weight capacity of 26 pounds, and it weighs 18.4 ounces.
Less than 80 USD. Easy to carry and quick to set up. What's not to like. YMMV.
12-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffdrew Quote
I use monopods regularly despite having IBIS.
I use mine regularly, my hands aren't quite as steady as they once were and using a monopod gives me extra confidence that, combined with IBIS, I can use slow shutter speeds I have a Manfrotto that is a bit heavy and awkward to carry (I use it for cricket) so I recently bought a Velbon Ultra Stick Super 8 Monopod which is both light,packs short down to 36cm and extends to 155cm and sturdy enough for a K3 and even my DA*300. As it fits easily into a camera bag it's not as though I am burdened with carrying it seperately and many days it doesn't get used.
12-25-2018, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I find a monopoly fitted with a quick release plate useful. It adds another option. It's lighter (mine's a small carbon version). Obviously lighter than a tripod; it buys a couple of stops or so; somehow slows me down a little; can be used as a stick to clear vegetation fend off animals, etc. etc
I also find one especially useful when used with a GR and when traveling -eg you can often sneak them into museums etc, where tripods are not allowed. Overall, I think they are underated.
12-26-2018, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it depends on shooting technique and what kind of glass you're carrying. Personally, I've never thought much of the monopod when using one. Didn't fit my shooting style. So I'm typically hauling a tripod with me if I want the extra stability. But I have a friend who shoots a Nikon D810 with a 500mm prime lens and a teleconverter, who always uses a monopod (doesn't own a tripod). And he swears by it. My best advice is to try one and see how it works for you.
12-26-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both, monopod and tripod, and mostly use the tripod if needed. Where I like to take the monopod is places where I know the light will be poor and a tripod is not allowed. An example would be museums where tripods and flash are not allowed. Years ago when I purchased the monopod I thought I would carry it more for landscapes, but found I still preferred to still carry my tripod. If I see something that I would like to "focus stack" or very slow shutter speeds then a tripod is a must.
12-27-2018, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want to get a sharper image than hand held, go all the way, go with a tripod, base ISO. Period! :-)