Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2018, 03:53 PM   #1

D AC76 adapter

Newbie to this forum. Have searched and not sure where to look. I have K100D Super. It's always "not good" on batteries. So, for indoor use, I figure I need the D AC76, which is mentioned in the manual. When searching online, I get two different/to me options. One shows an AC plug at one end and a male ?radio plug that looks like it fits into the camera. And the camera has a female outlet that looks like the male plug online. Isn't that all I need? But it's labeled "AC Power Cord/Cable/Lead For Pentax AC Adapter D-AC115 D-AC85 K-AC76/u K-AC10/ui". So is a K-AC76 the same as D-AC76? and what does the "u" mean? From what I can tell about the "Pentax K-AC84 AC Adapter Kit (includes D-AC76 and D-DC84)K-". it contains two different items and looks like it goes into the battery compartment replacing the batteries. So which is best? A direct connection from the wall to the camera, leaving the batteries in? Or take batteries out and use this "84"? If the batteries are left in, do they discharge? IMHO this is confusion.

12-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PennsyNut Quote
Newbie to this forum. Have searched and not sure where to look. I have K100D Super. It's always "not good" on batteries. So, for indoor use, I figure I need the D AC76, which is mentioned in the manual. When searching online, I get two different/to me options. One shows an AC plug at one end and a male ?radio plug that looks like it fits into the camera. And the camera has a female outlet that looks like the male plug online. Isn't that all I need? But it's labeled "AC Power Cord/Cable/Lead For Pentax AC Adapter D-AC115 D-AC85 K-AC76/u K-AC10/ui". So is a K-AC76 the same as D-AC76? and what does the "u" mean? From what I can tell about the "Pentax K-AC84 AC Adapter Kit (includes D-AC76 and D-DC84)K-". it contains two different items and looks like it goes into the battery compartment replacing the batteries. So which is best? A direct connection from the wall to the camera, leaving the batteries in? Or take batteries out and use this "84"? If the batteries are left in, do they discharge? IMHO this is confusion.
It appears that you are looking at the AC power cord only, which attaches to the AC to DC Converter that then attaches to your camera. What you need is the complete assembly. Please see: D-AC76 Replacement AC Power Adapter

Dennis
Attached Images

Last edited by Kelvin 5500; 12-28-2018 at 06:11 PM.
12-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #3

Any of the AC Adapters for Pentax DSLRs that use the Hirose "D" style plug will work with you K100D. The third party adapters that have a round phono plug come with a battery adapter that fits in the battery compartment. These are for the K-01,K-30/50 that have a "hatch" on the battery compartment door for the cable. The OEM battery adapters use the same Hirose "D" style connector that is used by all the other models.

Look for a 3rd party AC adapter that has the Hirose connector. I don't think the K100D has the "hatch" on the battery door.
12-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #4

Original Poster
Now I am more confused!

Kevin: You show the image of what I thought was needed, from the manual and it looks like it would work. Then you give the link that was what I found online and say that's what I need. ?? The image states "optional" and looks like my camera/K100D Super. The "link" has a different plug on the end, and don't look like the one in the image. So I should look for an exact image of what is shown, not what is available from Glorich/Amazon. I guess my simple question is: Does the plug make a difference? Would the straight plug on Glorich/Amazon be the right one? And thanks! Morgan Bilbo

12-30-2018, 01:53 AM   #5

The plug should look like this:

All the Pentax DSLRs that have power port use the same connector and all the Pentax branded AC adapters are compatible. The K-01,K-30/50 do not have a port and use the module that fits in the battery compartment. The Pentax branded module uses the same connector so any Pentax branded AC adapter can be used.

The female port on the K100D body should be clearly marked.

You can see photographs of both the plug and receptacle in the datasheet for the connector
https://www.hirose.com/product/en/download_file/key_name/MQ172/category/Cata...41&is_series=1
12-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
Forum Member

Kevin: You show the image of what I thought was needed, from the manual and it looks like it would work. Then you give the link that was what I found online and say that's what I need. ?? The image states "optional" and looks like my camera/K100D Super. The "link" has a different plug on the end, and don't look like the one in the image. So I should look for an exact image of what is shown, not what is available from Glorich/Amazon. I guess my simple question is: Does the plug make a difference? Would the straight plug on Glorich/Amazon be the right one? And thanks! Morgan Bilbo
From what I found on-line from a variety of sources, the AC input port on the K100D Super accepts a type EIAJ-03 plug. This is what is shown in the Amazon product page that I linked to previously. Are you questioning whether the plug end is "right angle" as shown in the K100D User Manual or "straight" as shown in the Amazon product page? Whether it is "right angle" or "straight" does not matter. The purpose of the "right" angle plug is to help prevent the connection from being accidentally pulled out of the camera. Here is a link to a photo of the Pentax brand K-AC76U Adapter that has a "right angle" plug end": Pentax K-AC76U AC Adapter Kit for Pentax K100D Super Digital Camera

I see that what I am posting is a contradiction to that which PF Member Not A Number is posting about the Hirose plug connector. I do not have any direct personal experience with the Pentax K100D Super. I own the K20D and and K-1 Mark II cameras which both use an AC power adapter with the plug described by Not A Number. However, this is not what I am seeing on the Internet for the K100D Super. I apologize to both you and Not A Number if my research on this subject is incorrect. Could you please post here whether the AC power input port on your K100D Super camera is a "rectangle" shape or "circle" shape?

Thank you.

Dennis

Last edited by Kelvin 5500; 12-30-2018 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Correct punctuation error.
12-30-2018, 06:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
Not a number: that is the wrong plug. My camera does not have a Hirose?
I caught Kelvin and assumed it was Kevin, and now it's Dennis. My bad!
Dennis: Yes. That picture is what I need. I tried a copy of my camera to post on here and it didn't work. But $69.95 is a lot of money, which I don't have. The female on the camera is round. Just like the picture. The Glorich/Amazon $19.95 is $20.99 today? and sounds better price wise and it's plug is straight, but is it what I need? Is there any other source than Amazon? I see where B&H has it at $69.95. Morgan

12-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #8
Forum Member

Dennis: Yes. That picture is what I need. I tried a copy of my camera to post on here and it didn't work. But $69.95 is a lot of money, which I don't have. The female on the camera is round. Just like the picture. The Glorich/Amazon $19.95 is $20.99 today? and sounds better price wise and it's plug is straight, but is it what I need? Is there any other source than Amazon? I see where B&H has it at $69.95. Morgan
The Glorich D-AC76 replacement product has the correct input and output power specifications. Now that you have confirmed that your camera does indeed have a round shape power input port rather than a rectangular shape, I would say that this is an economically priced option for you. Please note that the Glorich D-AC76 product page on Amazon states:

"Product description
Use Glorich D-AC76 power adapter when downloading pictures to your computer, viewing images on TV, or for extended work at a studio. The power adapter is fully compatible with the following Pentax DSLR cameras:

Pentax K200D
Pentax K100D Super
"

Their description is a guarantee that it will work with the Pentax K100D Super camera.

Although you could do your own research, I think this is the best price that you are likely to find on this product. It has free shipping and, if needed, you can fall back to the Amazon A-to-Z Guarantee. Please see: About A-to-Z Guarantee

Dennis

Last edited by Kelvin 5500; 12-30-2018 at 07:39 PM.
01-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many informations about the Pentax AC adapter are here too:
K-1 power supply for UK
External power
AC adapter D-AC 50
Pentax AC Adaptor Kit K-AC50U
01-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #10

Original Poster
Angerdan & Not a Number. Your info is not for me. Several things cropped up. The adapter for the K100D Super puts out 6.5 v and the picture that Dennis showed is the correct one. Round male plug for the round female plug on the camera. Not Hirose/rectangular plug. So NOT all Pentax DSLR's have the same connections. Apparently y'all have a K-1 or newer and that's not the K100 or 200. But thanks to all for the info. I appreciate everyone who has helped or tried to help. I'll go ahead and order from Amazon and post results here later. (If I remember!) At age 80, my memory and eyesight just aren't what they used to be. Morgan, who bought Pentax Spotmatic as his first 35mm.
01-04-2019, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #11

I have a K10D. The listed adapter in the user manual is the D-AC 50 which I have. Source state that the D-AC 50 is compatible with the K100D. Apparently these sources are incorrect. Thank you for correcting the record.

My bad for not doing my own research and assuming online information is correct. The K100D operating manual specifies the K-AC10 as the specified AC adapter. The K100D user manual even shows the camera using a round phono plug.

All this grief could have been prevented by simply referring the the K100D operating manual:
Using The Ac Adapter (optional) - Pentax K100 D Operating Manual [Page 30]

It appears the K/D-AC10 is used by the *1stD series too.

Note: The K10D is contemporary with the K100D, the 100D being the mid/entry level version.

The output specifications for the D/K-AC10 are 6.5 vDC at 3000mA. The D-AC76 apparently is an updated version of the AC10.

Moral of the story: RTFM

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-04-2019 at 08:18 AM.
01-04-2019, 04:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The D-AC 10 looks like this and has a coaxial plug. Bought it for my K100D, never used it...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #13

Original Poster
Just to clarify. I did RTFM. And that picture is on page 28. And it's called an AC adapter. Meaning it takes the AC from your house and converts it to DC, 6.5v 300 ma/or 3000 ma? No matter. What is important is that I went online searching for that AC adapter. And found conflicting items online. One at $13.95, another at $19.95 and one more at $69.95. That $69.95 was at B&H and referred to it as "original". But the $19.95 one stated it was for K100D Super. And it looked "similar", not the same. Straight plug vs the offset plug designed to prevent accidental pulling out. So, I was plain confused. And that's why I came here to this forum. OK? For me, this issue is closed. And thanks to all. I understand you/in general mean well and do not intentionally confuse me. Believe me, I can get confused very easily. Morgan
09-14-2019, 05:21 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
May be anybody could tell me what type of dc coaxial plug is used. I mean external and inner dimensions.

Well, I've already found -4.75x1.7mm

Last edited by igsin; 09-18-2019 at 11:34 AM.