Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

Bag for my 67+grip+one lens?

Good morning!

I haven't posted in a while but I'm back for some sage wisdom. I just got a beautiful 67 + metered prism + wooden grip (already had a 75/2.8 waiting) for my anniversary. Yeah, ever have one of those moments where you realize you married the right person? Yeah....

Anyway, now I have to figure out how to haul around the beast. BH lists the strap as "accepting orders" Would is be best to just pick one up off of fleaBay?

Most importantly - what kind of bag should I get? I am not planning on getting more lenses in the near future? I hauled around the K-1000 and A50/2.0 for 8 years as a kit and should be happy with the 67 and 75/2.8 for a while, especially since its not my everyday camera like the K-1000 was. I have a big, ugly Quantaray that I'm using in the meantime.

09-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think that the answer to this will have to come from how you work with the camera. I used shoulder bags for virtually all of the years that I shot film. After a few years away from photography, I got into digital and also decided that I'd try other types of bags (that weren't available during my film years). After a backpack and a sling type bag, I figured out that a shoulder bag is still what I am most comfortable with and most suitable for my style of shooting. It also limits the number of lenses that I can carry, which is a good thing for me. While a backpack type bag may hold a lot more and be more comfortable with that load, I find them too difficult to use;mine is now used to hold equipment when I'm working from the car. The sling bag drove me crazy and it got "gifted" to someone.

For easy access, with minimum kit, I would use some flavor of shoulder bag. That said, your best bet is to try a few out if you are able to visit a store that carries a decent stock. My ultimate pick was a Billingham bag that holds a K10D (w/o grip attached) with a decent size zoom attached, another lens or (rarely) two and various other bits & pieces. This is a relatively expensive bag but it lasts and doesn't look too bad after a few years;I also like the style (I had a very similar bag that lasted twenty plus years). Thinking back to when I was shopping around, I would suggest that you look at the Crumpler bags;I think that they may deep enough to handle your camera, are pretty flexible and not too pricey. This of course assumes that you want a shoulder bag.
09-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You don't need a bag, you nead a bearer.
09-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
You don't need a bag, you nead a bearer.
Its not so much taller than my K10D with grip and a nice big lens attached, but it just seems so much more, well, girthy. The grip is very nice. I have no idea how I'd get along without it, but its still massive.

Needless to say, I love it. I went out and look some pictures today with the tripod and husband, and both were certainly very helpful in managing the whole thing.

09-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
@PeterAM

I have been eying the Billingham bags for quite some time but I am, in my heart of hearts, just too much of a cheap skate. Thanks for all of your wonderful advice. I usually favor a shoulder bag as well, though my main bag is a small backpack to carry hiking.
09-29-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

TiJean:

The price on the Billingham is a bit high, but I rationalized it as follows:

1. I like the way it looks and works, and based on a bag of similar quality that I had some years back, it should last and age well.

2. Compared to the cost of the stuff that's in it, it's not that expensive.

3. My wife, who has virtually every expensive handbag that she's ever bought helped me (for once) with the decision;an easy one for her.

I also have two Domke bags (one is at least 20 years old) that have done their duty very well, but the Billingham is a real treat for oneself. Take a look at this site:Billingham Camera Bags, RTS INC, U. S. Distributors of Professional Photographic Products.
09-29-2008, 01:58 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote

3. My wife, who has virtually every expensive handbag that she's ever bought helped me (for once) with the decision;an easy one for her.

...[/url]
That's my problem - my husband has no love for expensive handbags, though compared to the price of the transmission he just bought for his truck...