Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

Pentax K-1 Travel Tripod

Hello fellow Pentaxians,
I'm a new K-1 owner looking to do astro with a Samyang 24mm lens.
Does anyone have a solid travel tripod they particularly enjoy?
Something under $250 would be ideal for my budget.
I have a siuri x005, but it seems a little weak for the K-1.
Thanks!
- Bryan

01-15-2019, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you might want to review this section of the forum:

Tripods and Rigging - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
01-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
cool thanks
01-15-2019, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be prepared, tripods are generally either portable and "flimsy" or solid and heavy. DO NOT expect to get light for traveling and really solid/sturdy. Two inexpensive new tripods that are very sturdy: Slick Master Classic and Slik 700DX. A really solid, and therefore heavy tripod, Manfroto 475B, but new it's a bit over your target price. I would go to EBAY and search for Manfroto (or Bogen) heavy tripod. There are usually several of the double-leg strut types available at reasonable prices. BUT BEWARE, such tripods are heavy.

01-15-2019, 11:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Be prepared, tripods are generally either portable and "flimsy" or solid and heavy. DO NOT expect to get light for traveling and really solid/sturdy. Two inexpensive new tripods that are very sturdy: Slick Master Classic and Slik 700DX. A really solid, and therefore heavy tripod, Manfroto 475B, but new it's a bit over your target price. I would go to EBAY and search for Manfroto (or Bogen) heavy tripod. There are usually several of the double-leg strut types available at reasonable prices. BUT BEWARE, such tripods are heavy.
Thank you Presto
01-15-2019, 03:18 PM - 2 Likes   #6

I have a Slik PRO 340 DX Travel Tripod with 3-Way Pan Head that I use with my K-1. I have no issues using it with a 24-70mm 2.8 lens when I am out roaming around at night. It seems sturdy enough for my purposes, it's not that heavy (not extra light either) and you can buy it for less than $100. I carried it around on my shoulder for a few hours while taking some shots at an art reception, and then took it outside and set it up to get some long exposure night shots. It was not an undue burden on my shoulder, and worked well for the night shots. You can also get a carrying case for it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
01-15-2019, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
This is very, very good advice. I have a new lightweight Carbon fibre "travel" unit and a 20 year old Manfrotto aluminium that is bigger and heavier....the Manfrotto is the best by far and more than worth the extra effort of packing it etc.

01-15-2019, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bryan D Quote
Hello fellow Pentaxians,
I'm a new K-1 owner
Congrats.
QuoteQuote:
looking to do astro with a Samyang 24mm lens.
Does anyone have a solid travel tripod they particularly enjoy?
Yes, but...
QuoteQuote:
Something under $250 would be ideal for my budget.
BANG. You just blew it up. You'll need to start looking at used gear.

Astro may require a bit more solidity than other pursuits because of the exposure times---I'd check in with some astro-nauts (Ha! See what I did there?)

I've got a Feisol 3441, but they are over $400 now, new. I have a big Leofoto---NOT a travel tripod!---but I have been impressed by its construction. They make a comparable(to the Feisol) travel tripod for about $325---with head. Probably closer to your budget w/o head. You could look at Oben as well.
01-15-2019, 05:11 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On my 2016 trip to the UK, my Sirui did a great job of holding my K-1 steady with the substantial DFA15-30 mounted.

With the relatively svelte FA31 it was no problem at all.

01-15-2019, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am very pleased with my Sirui tripod. Here are three of that brand worth considering.

model weight capacity price new @ B&H
N3004X 40lb $190
EN2004 31lb $150
W2004 39lb $220

All three of these weigh between 4 and 5 pounds.
01-16-2019, 06:12 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On paper and backed by experience, the Sirui T-025X tripod is hands down the best travel tripod available. It's more compact, lighter, and no more expensive than the competition. It's also sturdy enough to hold the K-1 with a 60-250 mounted, and I've done up to 14 minutes exposures with it. There's a superb review of that tripod here on Pentaxforums.

I wouldn't look at anything else. You'll pay more or carry a heavier/larger tripod for no reason.
01-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
On paper and backed by experience, the Sirui T-025X tripod is hands down the best travel tripod available. It's more compact, lighter, and no more expensive than the competition. It's also sturdy enough to hold the K-1 with a 60-250 mounted, and I've done up to 14 minutes exposures with it. There's a superb review of that tripod here on Pentaxforums.

I wouldn't look at anything else. You'll pay more or carry a heavier/larger tripod for no reason.

Thanks for your input Justin! What ball head are you using with the T-025x? My C10s seems a bit small for the K-1, right?
01-16-2019, 06:41 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bryan D Quote
Thanks for your input Justin! What ball head are you using with the T-025x? My C10s seems a bit small for the K-1, right?
Look at Sirui ball heads and go by the weight rating. A Sirui head that is capable of holding 40lb will be much less than half the price of another brand with similar strength. My Sirui is the smoothest and strongest head I've ever used, with a wonderfully gradual, progressive lock (= you can increase frictional resistance without losing smooth movement).

Just went to check: Sirui K20X, rated at 55lb, $130 @ B&H.

And BTW: NO TRANSPORTABLE TRIPOD + HEAD IS TRULY "ROCK SOLID" when using a very long lens. The leverage of almost any telephoto of 300mm or longer means there can be fore-aft (=down the length of the lens) vibration. If you're using the equivalent of 500mm or longer, just touching the camera with your hand will cause a distressing amount of shake visible through the viewfinder. For astrophotography, three methods: 1) add a brace at the outer (lens hood) end of the lens. This can be a second tripod or a rod that goes from lens hood to a tripod leg. 2) Use the delayed release timer & a cable release to get the mirror up before the start of the exposure; 3) Use the ancient method = hold a dark object in front of the lens (traditionally a hat), open the shutter set on "bulb" with a cable release, wait a moment, then take away the hat, count seconds, put the hat back in front of the lens, end the bulb exposure. That was the technique for long exposures taught way back when I started photography (1960's - not quite when dinosaurs still roamed).

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-16-2019 at 06:56 AM.
01-16-2019, 08:06 AM   #14

Original Poster
Hahaha those sound like fantastic tips from a seasoned pro, not a brontosaurus So many great thoughts on this thread! I'm sticking with Sirui.
01-16-2019, 08:42 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What about a really excellent ball head mounted to a Platypod? Not so versatile but tiny and will support anything a ball head can hold up. This is the route I went for my compact film travel kit.