Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #1

advice needed on repairing -tamron sp af 90mm f/2.8 di macro

I知 pretty bent out of shape right now, due to an unfortunate event involving my mischievous feline friend(not currently my friend) my tamron sp af 90mm f/2.8 di macro got damaged. I took it to the local camera shop, they sent it to the manufacturer and quoted me $400 to repair it. I bought it used on here a few years back and can稚 remember what I paid, I wanna say it was around 200. I take photos of jewelry for an Instagram account and mostly use my Pentax 50 macro, but liked having the Tamron. My dilemma is the store took a non-refundable $50 deposit, which I can apply to anything else in store if I decide not to go ahead with the lens repair. Should I bite the bullet and fix the damaged tamron? Look for another used tamron? Consider a different macro lens? Someone who has more camera knowledge than me please help me sort out this dilemma. Thanks for your time!

Last edited by LadyGoodman; 01-29-2019 at 12:46 PM.
01-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LadyGoodman Quote
I知 pretty bent out of shape right now, due to an unfortunate event involving my mischievous feline friend(not currently my friend) my tamron sp af 90mm f/2.8 di macro got damaged. I took it to the local camera shop, they sent it to the manufacturer and quoted me $400 to repair it. I bought it used on here a few years back and can稚 remember what I paid, I wanna say it was around 200. I take photos of jewelry for an Instagram account and mostly use my Pentax 50 macro, but liked having the Tamron. My dilemma is the store took a non-refundable $50 deposit, which I can apply to anything else in store if I decide not to go ahead with the lens repair. Should I bite the bullet and fix the damaged tamron? Look for another used tamron? Consider a different macro lens? Someone who has more camera knowledge than me please help me sort out this dilemma. Thanks for your time!
That's a bummer. Plus, 2 weeks ago the 90mm was only $329 on Amazon, but it's since gone back up to $499. I'd expect you to be able to find a used copy for less than the repair cost.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-29-2019, 12:54 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if I were you, I would see what the store may have to offer with the discount, look under " lenses " above at the lens reviews and also be checking out what you might find in the Market Place

you can sort the market place by country

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

I am very happy with my SMC Pentax-D FA 100 F2.8 Macro ( non WR )

be sure to ask for opinions and answers to any questions you may have

some of us love to give advice on how you should spend your $
01-29-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I picked up my D-FA100/2.8 macro for about $450AUD, secondhand (and in excellent condition) – that’s about $300USD. Up until that lens came on the market, I had been considering the Tamron 90. The Pentax lens should be wearing the Limited tag, IMO, and it’s WR. Its only downside for me is that it doesn’t have a focus limiter, but Quick-shift allows you to get close without having to suffer the inevitable long-throw focus hunting. The lack of an aperture ring doesn’t bother me.

With used prices for both lenses being what they are, I wouldn’t be paying $400USD to repair the Tamron.

01-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the responses and advice. I think I知 going to forgo repairing it, put the 50 bucks towards something and be in the lookout for a used D-FA 100/2.8 macro. Thank you!!!!
01-30-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you everyone for the responses and advice. I think I知 going to forgo repairing it, put the 50 bucks towards something and be in the lookout for a used D-FA 100/2.8 macro. Thank you!!!!
I think you'll find the Pentax DFA 100 macro to be a wonderful addition. I'm certainly very happy with mine.

If your camera store has or can order it, maybe apply the credit there?
01-30-2019, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you everyone for the responses and advice. I think I’m going to forgo repairing it, put the 50 bucks towards something and be in the lookout for a used D-FA 100/2.8 macro. Thank you!!!!
Also bear in mind that your Tamron might be worth a little to someone, for spare parts.

01-31-2019, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

when looking for your D FA 100mm F2.8 macro

be aware that there are several versions with common optical design but other differences between them and different prices levels:

Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review
Specifications
The lens covers the full 24x36mm format, not just APS-C. The aperture blades are rounded, delivering a smoother bokeh which is important for a macro lens. However, unlike its predecessor, it has no aperture ring.

The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades.

Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

whether paying for the " difference " matters depends on you. I am very satisfied with my non WR D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro