Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for a travel tripod

I'm looking for a travel tripod that will:

- pack down well enough to fit in a carry-on for international travel
- be "light enough". I don't anticipate having to carry it for days on end - just pop out of the car, hike with it for a few miles, and then back in the car - so it doesn't have to be "ultra-light", but light enough to hike with for hours
- be sturdy enough to support my equipment (my heaviest/longest lens is the DA* 50-135) in conditions like the high winds of the Scottish Highlands (assuming I'd hang my bag on it for additional stability)
- extend high enough that my 6' 1" frame won't have to be at a 70 degree angle every time I want to use it

After much looking around, I seem to be leaning towards this one.....

Benro Tripster Travel Tripod FTR28CB1GBLK B&H Photo Video

.....and I'm wondering if anyone here has any real-world experience with it? It hasn't been reviewed here yet - but I'm thinking SOMEONE must have bought one, and I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm not stuck on this one - but it seems to fit the bill well enough w/o breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance for any input/opinions.

Last edited by UpNorth; 02-01-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Making question more general
02-01-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

No experience, but it seems a liitle short for my liking
02-01-2019, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
No experience, but it seems a liitle short for my liking
Yeah - The 61" max height isn't ideal for someone 6' 1" - but that's the problem with a "travel" tripod. I want it short enough it'll fit in my pack, and not REAL heavy for dragging it around on hikes. It seems like the trade-off is shorter than I'd like in order to pack and not weight 7 pounds - AND not be $400+.
Unless anyone has any other ideas for something to fit my original criteria?
02-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have a look at Siriu tripods. I have the Sirui Traveller Carbon T-1204X. Very lightweight and I have used it with the K-1 and the DA*300mm during hikes above the artic circle in the summertime and fall. It isn't as high as you specified but that is small price to pay in my book.

02-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, the problem is that you end up with conflicting requirements. Light and compact on one hand, and tall and stable on the other.

The Benro seems like a decent compromise. I went with the similar MeFoto Roadtrip carbon instead.
02-01-2019, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Have a look at Siriu tripods. I have the Sirui Traveller Carbon T-1204X.
I've just ordered a Sirui T-025SK (Sirui T-025SK - B&H Photo), based on strong recommendations from forum members. About 1kg with ball head, folds up to 30cm, said to be very stable. Maximum height 1.3 metres. Personally I'd accept the lower maximum height as a trade-off for the smaller folded size and lighter weight. I could live with the lower height given the tilting screen of the KP or the flippy screen of the K-S2. But then I'm not 6' 1"!

Last edited by Des; 02-02-2019 at 02:10 PM.
02-02-2019, 02:44 AM   #7
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use the Rollei Compact Traveller Carbon No.1. It is small, light, very sturdy and has the shortest period of oscillation of the lightweight Tripods.
Rollei carbon tripod compact traveler No. 1 Carbon

02-02-2019, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UpNorth Quote
I'm looking for a travel tripod that will:

- pack down well enough to fit in a carry-on for international travel
- be "light enough". I don't anticipate having to carry it for days on end - just pop out of the car, hike with it for a few miles, and then back in the car - so it doesn't have to be "ultra-light", but light enough to hike with for hours
- be sturdy enough to support my equipment (my heaviest/longest lens is the DA* 50-135) in conditions like the high winds of the Scottish Highlands (assuming I'd hang my bag on it for additional stability)
- extend high enough that my 6' 1" frame won't have to be at a 70 degree angle every time I want to use it

. . . Thanks in advance for any input/opinions.
this would fit amost of your requirements but would require some ingenuity for it is far short of your height issue :

moman mini tripod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

before you laugh please see this thread started by UserAccessDenied:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/22-pe...ml#post4206692

numerous photos showing multiple positions and lenses can be found there with more details

whether it could be placed high enough or attached to something sturdy with the included straps or otherwise would be the question.
Attached Images

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-02-2019 at 03:50 AM.
02-02-2019, 04:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own a Novoflex Triopod - travel version (carbon) and like it very much.

Don't know any other more flexible modular system to adapt to different situations. Some time after I got the travel tripod I added the extension tube legs. In combination you get a sturdy large tripod you can use with very heavy camera lens combinations. From one leg of the Triopod plus one extension leg you can make a sufficient high monopod. When on travel besides the travel tripod I can take one extension tube leg with me to have a monopod in addition.

You could also put together all three extension tube legs, attach it to one of the travel tripod legs and lean the whole tripod construction with camera and lens with the remaining two short legs against a wall. So camera position ist would be very high. Maybe you then need the pentax mobile app to control captures.

Downside ... this solution is not cheap. If interested, have a look here ...

Triopod TRIOC2253 and extension legs (both carbon).

TrioPod with compact carbon fibre legs, 5 segments - NOVOFLEX Präzisionstechnik GmbH

Leg extension tube - SET (3pcs.) - NOVOFLEX Präzisionstechnik GmbH
02-02-2019, 06:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I brought this to my last overseas trip. It is tiny, folds up fairly flat, but will open up as a mini tripod and can clamp to many items such as a fence, railing, etc....
Surprisingly, it supported my K1 with grip and 24-70 lens. It won't support the 70-200 very well, as it wasn't really made for a full frame with full sized lens to begin with. :-)
I am usually out with the 28-105 anyway, so it works really well in most cases.

I found a great little plate to add onto it for about $20.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RMF24M/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
02-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the creative suggestions. I'll have to check them out. Since I've got months before we go I've got time to weigh all your alternatives before I decide, so I appreciate the input.
02-02-2019, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I brought this to my last overseas trip. It is tiny, folds up fairly flat, but will open up as a mini tripod and can clamp to many items such as a fence, railing, etc....
Surprisingly, it supported my K1 with grip and 24-70 lens. It won't support the 70-200 very well, as it wasn't really made for a full frame with full sized lens to begin with. :-)
I am usually out with the 28-105 anyway, so it works really well in most cases.

I found a great little plate to add onto it for about $20.
amazon.com : CowboyStudio Lightweight Universal Camera Camcorder Multi-clamp Pod Tripod, CX-3000 : Flexible Tripod Clamp : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Intesting part! Really can be useful I guess.

The travel Triopod is really tiny as a package although absolutely usable - also with heavier equipment.
K1 with DFA150-450 attached on Novoflex Triopod "travel version" ...

If you do this you shouldn't pull the smallest segments of the legs and you have to be careful and stay near by. If you add the extension tube legs that I talked about, the whole stand gets much broader and better balanced. I used this construction to capture the moon.
02-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are lots of good ones, Feisol, Sirui, and I have a new huge Leofoto, and based on it I would trust the smaller ones as well. Look into the ones that have a removable leg that converts to a monopod, as well---it's a feature I wish my Feisol had, although I'm otherwise quite satisfied with it. So, then it boils down to a combo of price, height, folded length, weight. Remeber that one way to reduce length is to remove the head, if the tripod doesn't do a reverse fold. And don't get one too short! Just a waste of money.
02-02-2019, 08:38 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a Vanguard tripod on sale at B&H at the moment that you may want to consider too. I have three Vanguard tripods and have had no issues with them over the past 5 years or so.

Vanguard VEO 265AB Aluminum Tripod with TBH-50 Ball VEO 265AB
02-04-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From a walk today.

LowePro Vertex AW100, Novoflex Triopod (travel) and one Triopod leg extension (50cm) attached. A monopod can be created from one Triopod leg + extension.

KP • M2.8/28

KP • DA15 - Panorama • Triopod • Pano Head

Last edited by acoufap; 02-04-2019 at 12:52 PM.