Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #1

Recommend a New Bag...

I'm looking for a new camera bag.

This would be my ideal bag:

Backpack Style
Hold 2 bodies (1 with a short lens, another with a larger lens, around 400mm)
Hold an extra 4 lenses
A place for my Laptop 15"
Several Accessory pockets
A place to strap my tripod to if needed
Nice Padding

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

09-30-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Check the threads started by Ole, he did a comprehensive one recently about the perfect bag for him.
09-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tenba Shootout (large) fits that bill perfectly. Bought mine about 4? months ago at a local B&M shop for $175.

It will comfortably* hold:

K10D & grip w/ 18-250 attached
K20D & grip w/ Tam 16-50 attached
Tam 90mm macro
Tam 75-300
FA 50/1.4
M 50/2
Vivitar 285HV flash
Cokin filter case
24 AA batteries & 4 spare batts for cameras
Panasonic GS320 MiniDV camcorder
Rocket blower & cleaning gear
Toshiba 15" widescreen laptop
Bogen/Manfrotto 055XBPRO tripod

... and still have room in a side pocket for a sandwich without smashing it.

* comfortably is relative to the strength of your back. YMMV
09-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He means this one 'ere https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/34802-ideal-photobag.html or this one https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/34157-i-need-sh...endations.html
But feel free to look around and get the advice of others. You will get lots of good and practical advice.
My cousin desperately wants the Lowepro FastPack 250 Amazon.com: Lowepro Fastpack 250 (Arctic Blue): Electronics
and I really respect his opinions. I realize that would mean an immense leap of trust on your part but after all, these are only opinions.
Good luck!

09-30-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This one ova'ere.... Amazon.com: Tenba 632-321 Shootout Large Backpack (Olive/Black): Electronics
09-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You see, I kind of like it whenever someone brings up the discussion of camera bags; no matter how many times it has been discussed.
Many of us get different bags often enough. There are so many cool ones out there to try and touch and smell and fall in love with and...
Oh. Sorry. Bag buying addiction consumes some of us and discussions of what bag should I get can sometimes temper that desire. Or it makes us reach for that pistol and head to the nearest convenience store for a quick withdrawl or funds. Perfectly harmless, you know. Noone moves and noone gets hurt. Just give me $150 and two scratch off tickets and I'll be on me way, thank you very much.
09-30-2008, 12:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Buying gear bags is crazy making. I currently have:
Tenba Shootout
ApeCase 1400 shoulder bag
Tamrac Explorer II
Pentax Holster
Op-Tech soft pouch
Interlift stand bag (with my tripods in it)
Pelican 38" Tripod bag (with all my strobes and lighting gear in it)

and that doesn't include the way nifty nylon zip bags I picked up at Lowe's that have various pieces, parts and small accessories in them... Is Cordura Nylon a tradable commodity?

09-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Buying gear bags is crazy making. I currently have:
Tenba Shootout
ApeCase 1400 shoulder bag
Tamrac Explorer II
Pentax Holster
Op-Tech soft pouch
Interlift stand bag (with my tripods in it)
Pelican 38" Tripod bag (with all my strobes and lighting gear in it)

and that doesn't include the way nifty nylon zip bags I picked up at Lowe's that have various pieces, parts and small accessories in them... Is Cordura Nylon a tradable commodity?
*will do assistant's work for bag*
09-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #9

Pedalfreak,

You may want to check out Crumpler's line of backpack-style bags. I recently found a "gently used" Whickey and Cox backpack on ebay for $70 less than retail. I fits my 17" laptop, K100d body with Tamron 28-75mm attached, four other lenses, rocket blower, flash, battery pack for laptop, AA car charger, and filter lens pouch in the main area. I have my sd cards, extra batteries, MP3 player and headphones, pens and notepad, SD cards, and a few other things in the side pouches. I can attach a tripod or monopod to the backside of the bag.

I am in the process of flying around the US carrying a load of equipment, so I am compiling information in regards to ease of use going through security lanes, weight encumbrance, size and dimensions, storage on the airlines, weatherproofing, etc. I'll post a detailed review of the Whickey and Cox when I get a chance.

Cheers ...
09-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Think we need to add another new term, we all know LBA, how about BBA with the first B being bag.

For what it's worth I used Lowepro Magnums for years, but recently changed to Crumpler 750 Daily XXL. I liked the messanger bag style ie taller/deeper which allows longer lens to remain on camera bodies, fast access, all usual pockets etc.
10-05-2008, 05:22 AM   #11
Forum Member

KATA R-102 or 103 Backpack... Well anything KATA will get you started on BBA....lol
10-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have two Lowepro, and I can put my two bodies, five lenses and two flashes and one also accommodate my laptop, but I couldn't recommend any, since everybody is different, and what I concider comfortable might not be for someone else. Go in a store with a large supply, bring your stuff, load the bags that fit your requirements, and try them on, so you'll know what feels all right for you. If a bag is not comfortable for you, you'll know within minutes of putting them on. Kata, Tamrac, Lowepro, Crumpler, you name them, they all have good quality bags. You really need to try them to see what is good for you.