Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-06-2019, 04:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is 35° (R)EVOLUTION Lock by Vanguard?

Researching for a new tripod, I see that Vanguard have 3 types of leg locks, flip, twist and 35° (R)EVOLUTION Lock. What is 35° (R)EVOLUTION Lock? I can't find any info about it

Cheers,

Bruce

02-06-2019, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I suspect the answer's supposed to be in the name - 35° (R)EVOLUTION Lock. You only have to rotate the lock 35° to lock off the leg adjustment?

That said, one of their tripods sporting this feature is described as having '..ergonomic ¼ turn lock and unlocks twist style leg locks', which in my book is 90° of rotation, not 35°, but then I'm not in marketing!

Last edited by JohnX; 02-06-2019 at 05:17 AM.
02-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I suspect the answer's supposed to be in the name - 35° (R)EVOLUTION Lock. You only have to rotate the lock 35° to lock off the leg adjustment?

That said, one of their tripods sporting this feature is described as having '..ergonomic ¼ turn lock and unlocks twist style leg locks', which in my book is 90° of rotation, not 35°, but then I'm not in marketing!
Ah ok... yeah it would be one of those purchases where I can't see before buying (online only good deal). I've tried the twist lock and flip lock, prefer the flip lock I think but these 35 degree ones seem to almost be a hybrid of the two systems in that you don't have to continually twist to unlock, just a small amount of twisting, it might even 'lock' rather than just twisting (so almost a flip style lock in the form of a twist)... hmm... interesting.

It seems to be attached to the higher premium range than Vanguard sell, so it's probably quite good and deemed better than the other styles.
02-10-2019, 11:06 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I ordered one, hopefully can give a little feedback on it when it arrives tomorrow.

02-16-2019, 03:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well it arrived broken, one of the twist locks twisted way past the 35 degree mark. Sent back and another due to arrive next week.
02-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for testing this for us and reporting back. The parts that weren't broken, how did they function? Did you like them?
02-16-2019, 12:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Thanks for testing this for us and reporting back. The parts that weren't broken, how did they function? Did you like them?
Well... I wanted a tripod that allows the centre column to move outwards and away, so that i can shoot items directly from above (like food), productphotography etc. It seems that the tripods do get quite a bit heavy and expensive for this feature, which I can understand as you will have some lever issues and weight imbalance, so the tripod itself felt very 'meaty'.

However, it could extend very high indeed, and with only 2 twist locks per leg and small turns you could set it up fast! However, folded right down it was still quite large indeed. It comes with a bag, intended to be worn by the user in a sling style and you would need this, I'm not sure at all how you could strap the tripod onto a backpack easily, it's quite large even in its most compact form. I guess you can't have it all (quick set up, heavy duty, light and compact). Or maybe you can but they cost thousands lol.

02-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Makes sense. I carry my tripod in its own bag. One, because my camera bag isn't designed to secure a tripod to it, and two, because the tripod is heavy and large, even when collapsed.
02-16-2019, 11:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Makes sense. I carry my tripod in its own bag. One, because my camera bag isn't designed to secure a tripod to it, and two, because the tripod is heavy and large, even when collapsed.
Yeah, I'm just not used to such a large hardcore tripod, overkill really for most of my shooting (small primes hehe). I'm actually hoping I can use some of that bag space to put softboxes and the like inside so I can do location portrait shots etc.
06-08-2019, 03:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
FYI I returned my second Vanguard tripod with this 35 degree lock mechanism. First one was dead on arrival and the twist lock on one of the lower legs would not work, it would twist past and grind very unhealthily. The second last 2 months and only one field trip out before facing the exact same issue. Shame, they were nice tripods and I like the idea a lot, but 2/2 duds... I'm done with that technology.
06-08-2019, 04:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm done with that technology.
Send some feedback to CR Kennedy about, it if you can. Save them (and future buyers) some hassle. Seems a design or engineering flaw the factory needs to be made aware of.

FWIW, I have a heavy Velbon tripod with a pan head as my main field tripod that is now about 30 years old and has performed without issue since the day I bought it. New-fangled stuff like '35 degree lock' seems unnecessary and a recipe for problems.
06-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Send some feedback to CR Kennedy about, it if you can. Save them (and future buyers) some hassle. Seems a design or engineering flaw the factory needs to be made aware of.

FWIW, I have a heavy Velbon tripod with a pan head as my main field tripod that is now about 30 years old and has performed without issue since the day I bought it. New-fangled stuff like '35 degree lock' seems unnecessary and a recipe for problems.
I did, they said I was the only one to return it... twice.

I have twist locks and flip locks, honestly the 35 degree was the quickest and nicest to operate. It just seemed badly implemented so that wear and tear or repeated use would eventually result in one 'breaking' (perhaps it was not broken per se but required some allen key work or something). I even brought this up, suggesting if a Vanguard rep could contact me, help me out because I really liked it in other ways. But of course Australia being Australia no such rep or after sales support exist for a product like this so sending it back was the only real option. Such a shame...
06-10-2019, 03:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wanted a tripod that allows the centre column to move outwards and away

Have you looked at the Benbo Trekker?
Benbo Trekker Mk 3 Kit | Wex Photo Video

(Not Benro)

Might have to ring Vanbar about stock levels.
06-10-2019, 04:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Have you looked at the Benbo Trekker?
Benbo Trekker Mk 3 Kit | Wex Photo Video

(Not Benro)

Might have to ring Vanbar about stock levels.
Nop, looks interesting and different. Will have to look into that, ta!
06-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Nope, looks interesting and different. Will have to look into that, ta!
I've been using this ones bigger brother for some 36 years now without dramas.

Benbo Clasic No 2 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database