Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2019, 10:47 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crumpler King Pin Pro Full Backpack Question

I've been looking at a Crumpler King Pin backpack to replace my now ripped Kata (vale, was a fantastic bag.)

Can anyone comment as to whether the bag 'crushes down' to airline carry on baggage limits with some sections left empty?

The published external dimensions are well over the standard carry on allowance but I'm wondering if leaving the top or bottom empty would bring it back down.

Also wondering of the published dimensions are counting the top section being pulled out and filled up.

Thanks in advance.

NB: I'm after a backpack that doesn't scream camera bag. Also after something with decent internal padding etc. The Lowepro/Manfrotto offerings i tried today weren't overly appealing to me. Open to suggestions.

02-09-2019, 04:25 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
I've been looking at a Crumpler King Pin backpack to replace my now ripped Kata (vale, was a fantastic bag.)

Can anyone comment as to whether the bag 'crushes down' to airline carry on baggage limits with some sections left empty?

The published external dimensions are well over the standard carry on allowance but I'm wondering if leaving the top or bottom empty would bring it back down.

Also wondering of the published dimensions are counting the top section being pulled out and filled up.

Thanks in advance.

NB: I'm after a backpack that doesn't scream camera bag. Also after something with decent internal padding etc. The Lowepro/Manfrotto offerings i tried today weren't overly appealing to me. Open to suggestions.
no experience with that back pack

as far as others have you checked the reviews yet ??

Bags and Cases - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
02-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not familiar with that backpack either, but a word of advice. If you have to physically crush the bag to make it fit, oftentimes it will simply get refused, on the basis that you could fill it up afterwards.

If I understand your requirements correctly, you want:

-an airplane carry-on compatible backpack
-doesn't look like a camera bag
-able to carry photo gear and other stuff
-padded but flexible

I've just come back from a week-long trip with the Peak Design Travel Backpack as my carry-on bag, and I loved it. I believe it fits your requirements. I actually wrote a complete review of the bag which will be published here eventually, but I can tell you it leaves little to be desired. I liked it better than using a rolling suitcase, for a variety of reasons.

If you're interested in more information, I'll be happy to help.
02-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

when I choose a back pack I tend to look for things to help with the weight as if I was choosing a back pack for camping/hiking

a waist belt helps to transfer the weight from the shoulders to the hips
a chest strap helps to keep the shoulder straps together
adjustable shoulder straps
" load lifters " are nice for final adjustments while hiking
good sturdy buckles and zippers

for photography purposes:

moveable interior compartments helps to customize how you can put your gear.

these are the ones I have bought and use:

Ruggard Thunderhead 75 DSLR & Laptop Backpack
IMGP0780a1a.jpg - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

when I want to haul a ton of gear in my car but can fit into the over head bin ( barely )

Lowepro Flipside 400
Lowepro Flipside 400 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

the one I tend to use when I am flying to a location

Lowepro Fastpack 100
Lowepro Fastpack 100 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

my first camera back pack good for minimal gear

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-11-2019 at 08:15 AM.
02-13-2019, 12:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks to all. I looked into the suggestions and took the punt on the Crumpler. Very happy. Crumpler do themselves a disservice with their advertised external dimensions as they’re the expanded/stretched dimensions when the top is undone and filled like a stuffed pillow. When loaded up and clipped down in normal configuration it’s within carry on sizing without need to crush down or force into shape.