Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I recently returned from my Germany/Austria trip where I primarily used the Domke F-5XB Heritage. I loved it. It was a perfect small solution to carrying for both cities and excursions. It was a good fit for my two main kits: The foul weather kit was the K-3II, the 20-40 limited I had rented, and the 55-300. The bag isn't completely waterproof, but water-resistant enough that I was comfortable with the camera and weather-sealed lenses during a very wet day in Füssen. None of the gear got wet inside the bag, and the exterior canvas dried quickly.

Then on good weather days it was great for the limited set of 15, 21, 40, plus the 55-300. I 3D printed a double-headed rear cap for the 15 and 21 that went in one section, the 40 was on the camera in the bag, and the 55-300 fit in the other compartment.

The whole setup was very light, and very easy to carry. No shoulder strain even without the postal pad. The big top zipper and large flap with too much velcro made it seem very safe even in crowds. The front pocket is small, but just big enough for a couple spare batteries and a lenspen. Only downside was that velcro, which you can struggle to open with one hand because there's just so much of it. Opening it is not quiet.

All in all I highly recommend for a kind of minimalist setup with mostly Pentax limiteds.

10-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I always carry 2 cameras when I'm out shooting. If it's street I'd have a sigma 10-15 on my K-5II for wide angle requirements and my 18-135 on my K-3II. At times if I'd like to go on a 1 lens 1 camera thing, I'd use the 18-135. But I think for street photography if I get to have a 16-85, that would be perfect. Some friends I know carry a fixed lens all the way throughout their shoot. They normally use Fuji.
10-15-2019, 04:53 AM   #63
Pentaxian

The advice of carrying a Ricoh GR (any model) is excellent. The system is somewhat expensive, but I stand by what I wrote in the GR III review: getting this kind of lens for a DSLR is expensive and the system is much larger. You're limited to one focal length however.
10-15-2019, 05:25 AM   #64
Pentaxian

One thing I've noted these days compared to the 80s is people are more conscious when they see people carry DSLRs. People tend to ask questions when you take their pictures and would sometimes shy away. Privacy is now a main issue. However, when they see a small camera they ignore you. That's one of the advantages of the GR and other smaller cameras when you do street photography.

There is a new place here in my city of which I won't mention where you need to ask permission to shoot using a DSLR. But shooting with your cellphone and any smaller camera is allowed. I don't see the logic why not allow to shoot using a DSLR? We heard that they do not like to use their site for advertisements or something commercial. Anyway, I seldom go to that place. I go to more photographer friendly places.

10-15-2019, 07:30 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good messenger bag and a low-profile prime are usually what I go with for street photography. The 40mm Limited and the FA 50 1.7 are pretty solid in that regard on my K-3.

That, or I'll just carry around my Q10, but given that I have a black and yellow one it's not exactly inconspicuous.
10-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cover most of the velcro on my Domke it does reduce the noise. Furthermore, since you have a zipper closure as well you could completely cover the velcro.
10-16-2019, 05:41 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Only downside was that velcro, which you can struggle to open with one hand because there's just so much of it. Opening it is not quiet.
I just returned from a trip to France where I used my Domke FX 5B bag. As you stated, its biggest downside is that full length velcro on the outer flap. If Domke would change this to either a magnetic closure or a buckle it would make this bag perfect in my opinion. The bag has secure high quality zippers on the inside but the noisiest strip of velcro on the outside. It became very noticeable at times in quieter places in France leaving me wishing I brought my Domke F-803 instead which has no velcro. This is not at all me saying that do not like my F5XB, I do, but it would be better without the velcro.
10-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #68

Used to run around with a 50mm 1.8 on my K30, then "graduated" to a Sigma 24mm F2.8. Either setup worked great, and I didn't find it much of a hindrance, outside of when I needed 2 hands to do something.

I'm now using a KS2 with a 40mm ltd, and swap to the 24mm when I want something a touch wider. One day I'll pony up for a wider prime or zoom, or jump to a mirrorless to make things slightly easier to transport.

10-25-2019, 01:50 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP with one of the limiteds would be my first choice for street. I want it light and unobtrusive.
10-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #70
Pentaxian

I have just realised that the SMC Pentax 20mm f/4 and Samsung NX100 is conceptually the same as a Ricoh GR III. Same focal length, same form factor - more or less. Not in the same league as far as IQ goes, but for now it is about as close as I can get.

I have also realised that the lens is actually worth serious money these days and that perhaps I shouldn't carry it around all the time...