Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
03-04-2019, 04:48 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I probably don't want to always be that guy with a BlackRapid strap on.
Why not? It's very comfortable and fast. I prefer it everywhere in europe.
You can also use SunSniper.

05-24-2019, 04:54 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Another vote for th F-5XB ruggedwear here. I have used this bag for travel for the last 5 years with the following combinations:

- K-5II, HD DA 21/40/70
- K-5II, HD DA 15/35/70
- K-5II, HD DA 21/40 and D FA 100 Macro WR

A water repellant bag or has served me well in rainy climates, -20 Celsius (and colder) in Quebec City and every day shooting. It’s a simple, well built, functional bag of exceptional quality. I have 4 camera bags to utilize depending on gear load out. 3 of them are Domke, the 4th is Think Tank. Domke designs superb gear.

There’s room in the bag if you want to use a shoulder strap but most often I only utilize a hand strap when carrying this bag. It’s small, casual looking and blends in without screaming camera bag!
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I have the Domke F-5XB and really like it and also recommend it. I will, however add my pitch for another option to consider; the Domke F-803. This is a wider but flatter messenger bag design which makes it particularly convenient for carrying under your arm, which I prefer in crowded city areas. When carrying around I really do not notice it being larger than my F-5XB but it can hold more, if a larger bag is an option. Here is typically what I use:
In my F-5XB: K-5 with DA 21 and 40 Limiteds.
In my F-803: K-3 with DA 16-85, 55-300 PLM and DA 15 Limited.
Both highly recommended. Note, both bags are available in multiple fabric and color options. I prefer the rugged wear canvas over the nylon but if cost is an option, go with the nylon.
So after exhaustive pondering and looking at options I finally ordered the Domke F-5XB Heritage in olive green. Haven't had a chance to haul stuff around with it, as it just came yesterday. But I really like how it fits my K-3ii with limited primes and one other larger lens. Trial run after unboxing was the 21mm on the camera, the 15mm and 40mm on a double-headed rear cap in one section of the bag, and the 55-300PLM in the other. Snug, but not too tight to access everything. Almost like it was designed for exactly that kit. The front flap pocket is good for my Lenspen, a microfibre cloth, and a couple batteries. The bag seems very well made, adequately padded.

I'm not 100% sure of how my shoulder will feel after a day of carrying, but so far it looks like exactly what I was looking for: a small bag for the camera and primes in situations where I don't want or can't bring my Tamrac backpack.
05-24-2019, 07:17 AM   #48
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I'm not 100% sure of how my shoulder will feel after a day of carrying, but so far it looks like exactly what I was looking for: a small bag for the camera and primes in situations where I don't want or can't bring my Tamrac backpack.
domke does make a removable shoulder pad you could considering adding:

Description:

The Domke FA-031 U.S.P.O. Shoulder Pad is an ergonomically designed pad that is made of thick foam rubber on a tough leather backing. This pad is identical to the shoulder pad used by letter carriers with the addition of touch fastener tabs which adjusts to fit straps up to 2.75" wide. The newly engineered foam makes pad more durable and attractive than ever.

05-24-2019, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So after exhaustive pondering and looking at options I finally ordered the Domke F-5XB Heritage in olive green. Haven't had a chance to haul stuff around with it, as it just came yesterday. But I really like how it fits my K-3ii with limited primes and one other larger lens. Trial run after unboxing was the 21mm on the camera, the 15mm and 40mm on a double-headed rear cap in one section of the bag, and the 55-300PLM in the other. Snug, but not too tight to access everything. Almost like it was designed for exactly that kit. The front flap pocket is good for my Lenspen, a microfibre cloth, and a couple batteries. The bag seems very well made, adequately padded.

I'm not 100% sure of how my shoulder will feel after a day of carrying, but so far it looks like exactly what I was looking for: a small bag for the camera and primes in situations where I don't want or can't bring my Tamrac backpack.
I use the F-5XB with my KP and 3 LImiteds (21 | 40 | 70) in the side sleeves. I just put them in rear cap to rear cap. I have a large cloth, my phone and couple extra batteries in the front pocket and that’s all. I can carry that kit cross-body (left shoulder to right hip) literally all day. I don’t have a compact zoom lens so I use an F-4AF if I mustI have reach. I typically rest my right hand on the carry strap for security. I put the camera in the bag grip up with lens facing ‘out’ and I can reach in, grab the camera and bring it to my eye in a couple seconds. The only thing I don’t like is the sound of the Velcro so I put gaffer or duct tape on the inside of the lid.

I know someone who rigged a length of branded stainless steel cable into his shoulder strap to foil the knife bandits. Elbows are also good.

A friend regularly sends me NOS and surplus clearance price bags he finds, so I have almost every bag mentioned in this thread.* IMO you choose the best, most versatile option.

* Is there such a thing as Bag Buying Addiction?

FWIW I pack my extra camera gear for a trip in a ThinkTank CityWalker 20 and cycle items in and out as needed

06-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Late vote here for the Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home. Great little comfortable and non-photo-looking shoulder bag that holds my KP with up to four Limited lenses and an assortment of other useful stuff.
06-05-2019, 04:56 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Is there such a thing as Bag Buying Addiction?
I think there is... I've owned, and tested, a fair number of bags over the last few years. It lets me decide exactly which bags I like best, and have a few options depending on how I'll be traveling, where I'll be going, etc.
06-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another suggestion a friend of mine uses is a old babies diaper bag. He got it cheap. It does not look like a camera bag or that it holds anything of value. And they all have shoulder straps. I think he got his at the Good Will store.
Plus, to deter someone from looking into the bag, place one of these on the inside near the top.
Dirty Diaper - Gross Out and Perhaps Even Scare Your Friends - Fake Dirty Diaper | eBay

06-12-2019, 03:47 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Late vote here for the Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home. Great little comfortable and non-photo-looking shoulder bag that holds my KP with up to four Limited lenses and an assortment of other useful stuff.
I like the non photo looking approach also. Which is why I use the fossil messenger bag.

The other thing to consider is what else besides gear this bag should/can hold.

I only want one thing to deal with, other than my camera which is in my hand, so a messenger bag, if selected correctly holds my phone, GPS, has internal zippered pouches for money, wallet, passport, etc, and areas to slip in memory cards and spare batteries.

Since lots of men carry shoulder hags in Europe, a small messenger bag fits right in, and in my case, since the bag is now 13 years old and nicely worn, looks anything like a bag holding a camera.
06-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #54
Pentaxian

No bag, no strap, just the camera in my hand at all times with one lens. I don't want anything in my way of getting a shot.
07-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Another suggestion a friend of mine uses is a old babies diaper bag. He got it cheap. It does not look like a camera bag or that it holds anything of value. And they all have shoulder straps. I think he got his at the Good Will store.
Plus, to deter someone from looking into the bag, place one of these on the inside near the top.
Dirty Diaper - Gross Out and Perhaps Even Scare Your Friends - Fake Dirty Diaper | eBay
That is a clever idea. I have a really beat up CaseLogic Holster that I've taken with me on three continents in all sorts of conditions and has given me 10 years of reliable use., as well as my everyday carry. Now that I own a K1 though, I need to replace it with their next size up .

When carrying more than one lens or accessories, I use a small and worn -out looking Army surplus rucksack that doesn't scream "Steal Me!" I put a ThinkTank choulder bag inside it to protect it. I'd really like to modify if so I could stow and access the camera from one side, like a sling bag, but I do not yet have that level of sewing skill.

I've carried a K-5 with DA 40mm XS lens in a cargo pocket on my pants, IT worked, but was heavy. I wish I'd owned a K-30/K-70 for a lighter and slightly smaller street camera. I usually use a wrist Strap, but I put the cord around my hand, not my wrist, for more control while walking around.

For the best in compact performance and IQ, the Ricoh GRIII is calling me, though perhaps I should get a GRII since they are being marked down.

Enjoy the trip, I look forward to seeing the results.
07-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For pure street photography, I like my Samsung NX100 with 20-50mm kit lines. It can fit into a large coat pocket. I got it for cheap, it works well and if something goes wrong while out and about I can get another one.

For when I like to pack something bigger, I have a Think Tank Digital Holster 10 V2.0. Quite a mouthful, but quite useful too. It will swallow a single body and lens. There is a clever zip arrangement that makes it expand and contract at the bottom. It swallows a K200D with Sigma 70-300mm APO. No room for a battery back on the camera, though.

A single camera and lens might be not be enough for an extended trip, but the Think Tank is just wonderful for short/day trips.
08-04-2019, 01:21 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use a Lowpro Format 140 shoulder bag (could be found for ~$20 or so used), since I only using one film camera & a prime lens, and for me there's enough room in the pockets for an extra roll of film & a couple small accessories (spare batteries, lens cloth, etc.).
08-04-2019, 02:18 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP with DA21 around my neck.
DA15, DA40 and DA70 in pockets, or a tiny bum bag (fanny pack to you North American weirdos ).
08-04-2019, 02:19 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The other option is the GR III. Full stop.
08-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #60
Pentaxian

What do I carry for street photography ? After many years of carrying SLRs slung around my neck, I now carry my Ricoh GR ll. Small, unobtrusive, light, well built, big sensor (ASP-C) and excellent 28mm F 2.8 fixed lens. It fits into a very small Vanguard camera bag that attaches to my pant's belt .

I still have my DSLR's and assorted equipment...but if I'm walking around...I go lightweight and the GR camera-fixed lens /Vanguard bag do the trick. I don't notice it's there and the photos the GR is capable of...are comparable to an ASP-C DSLR.