Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2019, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How do you carry for street photography?

I'm going to Europe this summer, and I've been thinking about city and street photography. I have a K-3ii and a 40 LTD that will probably be my workhorse. May also buy/rent a 20-40. But how to carry it? Last time I was in Munich it was November and the K-3ii/40 combination would just fit in a coat pocket. So no need for straps and backpacks and the like. This time it'll be July/August. No coat.

I'm sure there will be times I don't want to lug around a backpack. I probably don't want to always be that guy with a BlackRapid strap on. I have a neoprene wrist strap I like, but if we stop to eat or whatever there's no place to put the camera except on the table. I will not wear a fanny pack.

What does everyone else do?

02-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Well, I put my lenses in a fanny pack and the camera on the table. Any other way of carrying stuff seems to make the gear less accessible to me and more accessible for thieves.
02-22-2019, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have my camera on a strap around my neck, tourist style I used to have a cross strap with the camera to the side, but it's slower. I stop down, set a relatively high iso, and prefocus, this way all I need to do is lift the camera up to my eye and frame. As for the bag, it's either a small shoulder bag or a think tank perception backpack, for when i need other stuff in addition to camera gear.
02-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shoulder/messenger bag that isn't very big, Joby hand strap, UV filter so if I am in a rush I can put the camera back in the bag without worrying about fitting the lens cap back on first. Bag I've been using for a couple of years now is the ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 30i with a Domke Gripper (I think that's the name) should strap. DA 15, DA 18-135, and maybe my DA 50 1.8 all fit okay with one mounted on my K-5 but that's about maxed out.

02-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wasn't satisfied with all the bags sold for cameras. And I didn't find that backpack are convenient because it is not straightforward to pull the camera in and out of the backpack without having to stop, open the backpack etc. So I use a hand made shoulder bag designed to fit the K1 with DFA15-30 horizontally with the handle on top ready to pull the camera out of the bag, there is also a front and back flat pockets for city map, phone, memory cards, 1 spare battery and pen with paper. If I don't use the DFA15030 I can also fit the DFA2470 or DFA28105 + bottle of 500ml water. With this bag only and nothing else, I can do sight seeing the whole day.
02-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #6

Manfrotto Bella V: small, beautifully build and very inexpensive.
02-22-2019, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

don't do much " street photography " but check out a multi pocket vest if you don't want to carry a back pack or bag

I use an old one from Cabela's

also you might see if you can rig something to be worn on a belt big enough to fit another lens, your 15mm limited ??, cleaning cloth, lens brush and rocket blaster

have you consider using your " best lens in its class " the DA 40mm F2.8 xs, smaller and lighter than your 40mm limited but same optics as far as I know

Pentax DA 35mm F2.4 vs 40mm XS vs 40mm Limited
Introduction

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/introd...#ixzz5gHctlvW8

have fun and don't spend all of your time looking through your camera's view finder

as far as back packs go

this style is an option

Manufacturer Description: On streets or trails, you can shoot all day when you wear the lightweight, comfortable Fastpack 100 backpack from Lowepro. It protects a digital SLR with a compact zoom lens attached, plus an extra mid-range zoom lens (18-200mm f/3.5) or flash unit, audio player, and lots of personal gear. You won't mis a shot, because the side-entry compartment lets you quickly grab equipment and accessories, without having to take the backpack off! Customize the easy-to-access main compartment with adjustable dividers, use the outer organizer to keep large accessories handy, and manage memory cards with a built-in pocket. Brethable, contoured shoulder straps distribute weight evenly.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/lowepro-fastpack-100.html#ixzz5gHPJqUoF

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-22-2019 at 10:47 AM.
02-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
pid
Pentaxian

if you don't want to carry a bag and don't want to take a shoulder- or wrist strap, maybe the Peak Design Capture Clip is an option for you. Capture Camera Clip | Peak Design Official Site

02-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i use a shoulder bag (Billingham, of course, being British) with the 77mm Ltd and 43mm Ltd in it + spare abttery - and also carry other odds and sods like phone, wallet etc (might put them elsewhere if in more pick-pocket infested areas -and usually the K-1 ith it's strap woundaround my wrist with the 31mm Ltd on it - I use the K-1 so I can use the Ltds to proper effect, largethough some might find it for street photography - I just love the pictures I get with that combo
02-22-2019, 10:55 AM - 5 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

For street photography? GRII in my pocket. That is all.
02-22-2019, 11:03 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anything around town I use a Domke F5xb

Road Tests :: Domke F-5XB Camera Bag - Carryology - Exploring better ways to carry
02-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

another option:

I just received a Optech USA Dual Harness today

haven't had time to try it out yet

but these harnesses might be of interest

All Products | OP/TECH USA
02-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
Pentaxian

If I'm going to walk around for a whole day, I usually want to carry more than just the camera, so I wear a Mindshift Gear Horizon backpack. I also attach a Peak Design Camera Clip to the bag.

If I'm going to do "some" waling but not too much, I don't need a lot of extra gear so a messenger bag is my choice (Peak Design Everyday Messenger in my case). Again with a Capture Clip.

If I want to travel light AND want to use the Capture Clip, I use the Everyday Sling, but if I don't plan on using the Clip, I prefer the Mindshift Gear Photocross sling bag.

All these bags give me quick access, most allow me to use the Capture Clip which I love, and at no times do I use a neck strap. I do have a small hand strap for safety however.
02-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #14

Wrist strap, camera, one lens and beat up old shoulder messenger bag without any names on it.
The messenger bag was a deliberate second hand purchase so as not to stand out. I did buy one of the foam camera bag inserts which is a perfect fit and gives the camera and lens good protection when travelling. With my KP and 40 Ltd I can also fit anything else for the day in the bag as well.
02-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by W412ren Quote
That looks interesting. Might be a nice alternative to a backpack.