Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2019, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If your going to be setting up near water carry an empty plastic jug or bag. Fill it on site for a weight and dump it on leaving. The fluid in the container also helps dampen vibration. I usually carry a drinking water bottle and use it, just don't refill from an unknown water source. A rubber bunji cord can be used to attach a weight found on site. Just adjust the bunji to the length you what to allow your weight to touch the ground and for tension. If all you find is a fifty pound rock that's OK. Just put it on the end of the bunji under your tripod and stretch the bunji to the tension you want A rock, a bag of dirt or sand, piece of wood. All make a weight you do not have to carry in or out.

02-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
The OP has used a Bogen 3001 with medium format and was happy with the results. Has he tried the same tripod with his K-1? There's no point buying a new tripod if the existing one already does the job with his existing kit, or is a longer tele/zoom in prospect? Of course, the only proper course is to spend four figures on a carbon 'pod and a ballhead rated at 500kg – that way there's no arguing the kit isn't up to the job – but I feel some authorities believe the DSLR shutter is a 5-ton portcullis...
The Bogen 3001 with Medium Format film (Mamiya RZ67) was no problem. With mirror up and the leaf shutter in the lens there was virtually no camera induced vibration at any shutter speed. The amount of sharpness loss with the K-1 can be seen even with the tripod at its lowest leg extension from about 1/60 to 1/180 if I remember correctly, depending on the lens. This was using resolution charts. It may not be too evident in real world shooting.

The Bogen is a fine tripod which I have had for about 30 years. Once one of the metal clamps cracked and the company sent me a replacement without hesitation. It is the right height and light enough as well. Not the most fun dragging around when hiking though. It would be nice to find something a little lighter.

The cost of CF seems extreme for the small benefit, and if the lower cost versions are worse than aluminum, I will not be in a hurry to get one.

As for LV and PS I use them both. I get the idea of sandbags. Since I already have the weight of the camera bag to deal with, I have tried to find a way to fasten the strap of the bag to the tripod head, but it hasn't helped.
02-23-2019, 03:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote
...The amount of sharpness loss with the K-1 can be seen even with the tripod at its lowest leg extension from about 1/60 to 1/180 if I remember correctly, depending on the lens. This was using resolution charts. It may not be too evident in real world shooting.....
Well, there you go! The damping benefit of CF is best seen using shutter delay where any damping action has time to work reducing existing vibration. If the tripod or head isn't sturdy enough then portcullis, er, shutter shock will still be found on alloy or carbon 'pods, but I take your point about weight - it's the old tradeoff. You'll have to pay if you want a better, lighter tripod.
02-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Well, there you go! The damping benefit of CF is best seen using shutter delay where any damping action has time to work reducing existing vibration. If the tripod or head isn't sturdy enough then portcullis, er, shutter shock will still be found on alloy or carbon 'pods, but I take your point about weight - it's the old tradeoff. You'll have to pay if you want a better, lighter tripod.
Mirror up or 2 second delay are a given when there is time and on a tripod. LV and PS add even more time to the process and battery drain, hence the concern for a tripod that can reduce shutter shock if possible.

So I will rephrase my question. If using MU or 2 second delay, will a carbon fiber tripod dampen shutter shock better than aluminum of similar design and height?

This has also got me to thinking. Maybe it would be worth testing the difference between 2 second timer and MU for 5 or more seconds on a tripod.

02-23-2019, 10:41 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave645 Quote
First, there are more factors that go into the damping of a tripod than the stiffness, such as the top plate. Second, aluminum is a fairly uniform, isotropic material.
You say it yourself. Important thing to bear in mind is that static properties of a material aren't the same as dynamic properties. A brass bell is stiff (very hard to change its shape by pressing on it), not only is propagates vibrations very well but it nurture vibrations so well that it produces music. However, once the brass bell vibrates, put your hand on it and the vibration will stop very quickly, your hand is soft , your hand is not stiff, and yet it is best at dampening vibrations. Aliuminium isn't as stiff has carbon fiber, but the longitudinal structure of the fiber propagates vibrations back and forth. Metal made tripods are heavier and cheaper: while heavy isn't pleasant to carry, it is better for photography. People buy carbon tripods to carry less weight, not because it is better for taking photos. About stiffness, they is also stiffness of the mind