Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I use the Cotton system with belt . I also have the front vest
Camera Carrying Systems, Camera Harnesses, Camera Holsters - Cotton

On my last 4 months trip, I use it almost everyday and I saw only 2 others wiyh similar . Never feel tire carrying the camera and lenses

Most carry camera on strap or bag or by hand. Not really good for your backwhen you hipe between 6 -15 km

12-26-2019, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lazarustx Quote
This morning I called the Dr's office and she's recommending Physical Therapy
This is an area where "Do it Yourself" measures will only take you so far. A good Physical Therapist will not just address your immediate needs, but give you a plan to continue living with a healthy and strong back. The lessons my PT gave me a decade ago keep me in god shape, when I consistently do them.
I sometimes shoot during lunch so I always lug my camera gear with me.
I do the same, but I keep one camera, plus one lens of choice (and my DA 40 XS as a back up), not my entire collection. I rarely wish I'd brought more than one lens and making that lens fit for the situation I find myself in adds to my creativity at times. Plus, selecting a lens beforehand is part of "Pre-visualizing" for future images I hope to create.
So do I get a cheapy $30 grocery dolly and strap my backpack on it
Yes. If it works, why not? Otherwise, if there is a suitable wheeled bag that works, consider buying an insert for the lenses and cameras you want to have at hand.
12-27-2019, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Stop trying to carry your entire studio around with you - only take the camera and single lens (or two if you must) you feel you'll need that day.

I agree wholeheartedly!

If it needs wheels or must be strapped to your back you're carrying way too much crap gear...

Chris
12-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ekla makes a gear cart but it is kind of pricey. Includes a seat too. I pondered this for awhile then decided that I did not have a real need for it yet.

Eckla Multi-Rolly Cart 77960 B&H Photo Video

12-27-2019, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Sometimes, one has to take a lot of gear with you. Take an airshow, for instance. At the very minimum I would need want two bodies with 20, 50, 70-300, 200 and 400 lenses. One has to suffer for one's art, I suppose.
12-30-2019, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

my tips are: travel light -- I tend to just carry the bare minimum. Also helps you focus on your photography with the limitations.
second tip: even distribution of weight - backpacks for me are better than over the shoulder. roller suitcase even better
01-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I dislocated the L-3 in my lower back decades ago and it has caused a lot of pain and "agro" over the years, and it ain't any better now (at 72). Personally I have found that LowePro backpacks (I can't carry shoulder bags as they cause me me aching shoulders), having had a 350AW and now a flipside 400AW for airshow kit (2x K-3, Sigma 100-300 F4, 70-200 F.2.8 and various accessories) - with a much smaller LowePro flipside-type general purpose bag for the "days out" & holiday photo kit (K-30 or K-70, Sigma 10-20, 17-70 and Pentax 55-300 PLM). All have very wide and well-padded shoulder straps, and find those bags are all very comfortable to wear as they transfer most of the "pressure" to the rear of the lower part of the my back whilst "pulling my shoulders back" and so they almost make it more comfortable to be carrying them loaded than not!

01-31-2020, 06:29 PM   #23
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
i bought a wast belt for camers on ebay. it can carry 2 cameras plus other stuff.
02-01-2020, 03:31 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I'm 70 and have a rotator cup tendon issue. I plan what to take...equipment and bag wise, before I go out for a photography shoot. I've been a photography enthusiast for over half a century and in that period have accumulated a lot of equipment and bags.

If I'm going (driving) to an event where I walk around I usually just take my k1 and one lens...which will be attached. Varies between the 24-70, 100 Macro, 28-105, 40 Limited. So I take usually a Domke F2 Original with the K1 and one lens and that is it.

If we're (wife and me) are driving to see our kids...about 700 miles away...I take my K1, 24-70, 100 Macro, flash in one bag (usually a Domke F2 Original and my K5 with either my Sigma 150-500 or Pentax 55-300 attached. Again one camera and one telephoto zoom...in one bag...in this case an old Cullman medium format bag from the '80's. Reason I take the telephoto is the trip (through Western Canada- prairies) often has wild animals on the way..Pronghorn Antelope, Buffalo, Coyotes, Elk, Moose, etc. Also a lot of old vintage farm equipment and vintage cars / trucks....and a telephoto comes in handy to get a photo of those.

My wife and I sit in the front of the car...the camera bags (two at max) are seat belted into the second row of seats. Where I live in the Canadian prairies...there is no rural public transportation such as buses, passenger trains, etc...so a vehicle is our public transportation . We have a vast terrain, relatively uninhabited and the only way to get around on the ground- rural wise, is via cars, trucks, motorcycles and for the adventurous...bicycles.

So...camera bags for the geriatric...plan before what the event / area you're going to will feature and what basic equipment you need. Just take what you need. Keep it down to one body, one lens if possible. Pack accordingly in a bag just big enough to handle this minimalist equipment.

Don't haul all your equipment around with you...anytime you go out. I did that, when I was younger. I don't do that now that I'm older. Consider what kind of photos you'll take...minimal equipment you'll need, terrain, how long you'll be walking around...what your physical limitations are and plan accordingly based on these factors.
If I'm just going out to get something or do something in daily life, I just carry my small Ricoh GR ll in it's small Vanguard pouch, which attaches to my belt.
02-01-2020, 06:54 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’m 64. The best thing I ever did for my back was work on my abs and legs. I did Alpine trekking in my youth (up to age 55) so I know how to carry weight - 65-70 lbs. for 10-14 days at a time. Exercise and proper loading will solve most of your pack weight issues.

AFA gear (contrary opinion here), I shoot a K-1 and K-series manual primes. I like to carry 5 primes <= 300mm and a flash. Sometimes I carry a DFA 24-70 and 70-210 instead, but that combo is no lighter than the primes. When planning to shoot long lenses on a tripod I carry only one or two lenses for the specific shoot and bring an MX-1.

I use a Lowepro AW200 or AW300 backpack with waist strap.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-01-2020 at 07:07 PM.
02-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote

On my last 4 months trip, I use it almost everyday and I saw only 2 others wiyh similar . Never feel tire carrying the camera and lenses

Most carry camera on strap or bag or by hand. Not really good for your backwhen you hipe between 6 -15 km
I love the cotton system as well. It helps distribute the weight to my chest and hip allowing me to have more gear in my backpack. I mostly shoot wildlife so lots of hiking.

I am a young 52 with an old mans back as I heat my house with wood and hand split 5-6 'cords a year. Most of the time its easy peasy but usually I manage to screw up my back every so.often.
AL
02-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #27
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote

Went to your link for Cotton, and was impressed by the hand strap, so ordered one! Thanks!
02-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #28
Forum Member

try waist belt systems. i have a lowpro trail waist belt. you can find camera waist belt on ebay. then buy a cheap harnes to support the belt.
02-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The point about making sure your backpack is fitted properly is well taken, as is the value of physical therapy. Also important is to do back stretches before putting the pack on; the PT person can suggest those too. I'm happy with my Lowepro Flipside AW 300 II but I think it is not quite large enough for your long telephotos. I did buy the 20-40 Limited to take on airplanes and long hikes so that my 16-50 stays home or is used for shorter hikes or car touring.
02-16-2020, 10:29 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Jeep wrangler will save your back. I was 60 when I got mine, still have it 14 years later.