Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2019, 05:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have taken the Mindshift Photocross 13 out for a week of 1/2 day hikes in the Galapagos and local birding outings and found it to be quite comfortable. Plenty of room for my K3ii, with the 55-300 PLM and 16-85 WR lenses (and a laptop). Even with lenses, there's still room for a filter pack and a small lunch. It comes with velcro dividers, a nice rain cover (as a supplement- it's already pretty weather resistant), and an ample outside pocket for cards, cables and keys. The water bottle holder might be a little small for some, but it worked for short outings.

The sling format is nice for equipment changes- you swing the bag in front of you and have a pretty stable platform for grabbing a new SD card or changing lenses without putting things on the ground to dig through a backpack (I'm not very skilled at pretty packing).

The only downside is the waist strap is a bit thin and under-padded if I had it really loaded down. A little mod-work could solve that if you got too annoyed.

Overall, I highly recommend. If the 13 is too big, they also make a Photocross 10.

Happy Trails.

02-27-2019, 06:02 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Photocross is indeed quite nice. In fact if it had a spot for the Capture Clip (Peak Design) it would be my primary sling bag. for heavier loads it's probably not the best choice, however, spreading the weight on two shoulders is preferable.
02-27-2019, 06:33 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I use a Cotton holder for my camera. I have done a lot of hiking in the west last year and they are the best as the weight on is the waist. I just carry my extra lens in a bag. They also have many other style.
https://www.cottoncarrier.com/

02-27-2019, 10:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The Photocross is indeed quite nice. In fact if it had a spot for the Capture Clip (Peak Design) it would be my primary sling bag.
I put the capture clip on the strap. I use it mostly as a place to put my camera when I need to use both hands.

02-28-2019, 06:01 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I put the capture clip on the strap. I use it mostly as a place to put my camera when I need to use both hands.
I use the Capture Clip a lot, as a place to hold the camera when I'm not taking a picture. Placing it on the strap removes the benefit of a sling in that case.

YMMV, but in my case that's the only real flaw of the Photocross, however it's an important one. When I want a sling I often want the Capture Clip also. That's why I use the Peak Design Sling as my main sling bag.
02-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I spend a lot of time hiking in rugged terrain in the mountains and deserts of UT.
I've had a Mindshift, and have a LowePro AW 450. The Lowepro is fine if the hike I'm doing is short, less than 5 miles, and if it's mostly a photo hike and I'm taking a bunch of my full frame gear. I can put up with the weight.

But neither are as good as dedicated hiking/backpacking packs for comfortably carrying loads over long distances. If I'm going longer than a half day, then I switch to lighter APS-C stuff, I switch to an Osprey Manta AG pack with an insert, and a Capture Clip on the shoulder strap.