Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,555
Cleaning mucky camera strap?

Hi,
I have one K100Ds and one K-01 camera strap whose rubber has started to come off, and I run the risk of soiling my clothes if I don't put them on the other side (Pentax logo down), which is of course inconvenient.

Has anyone ever tried cleaning his/removing the rubberization, much in the same way some fellows tried to clean those pesky Sigma lenses from that sorry gummy paint?

TIA.

03-07-2019, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian
jddwoods's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 917
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Hi,
I have one K100Ds and one K-01 camera strap whose rubber has started to come off, and I run the risk of soiling my clothes if I don't put them on the other side (Pentax logo down), which is of course inconvenient.

Has anyone ever tried cleaning his/removing the rubberization, much in the same way some fellows tried to clean those pesky Sigma lenses from that sorry gummy paint?

TIA.
I would just buy a new one. Replacement Pentax straps are readily available through B&H or Adorama in the US and likely in other countries as well. There are also lots of alternate options too. One that is similar in size, feel and weight as the original Pentax strap is the Domke gripper strap which is a good option.
03-08-2019, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
Saltwater Images's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Newfoundland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 496
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I would just buy a new one. Replacement Pentax straps are readily available through B&H or Adorama in the US and likely in other countries as well. There are also lots of alternate options too. One that is similar in size, feel and weight as the original Pentax strap is the Domke gripper strap which is a good option.
A second vote for the Domke gripper. I have been using the 1.5Ē wide version with swivel since 2014. Best camera strap I have used and I have tried several brands. You canít beat Domke for simplicity, practicality, durability and performance. Domke 1.5" Web Camera Strap with Swivel Quick 742-1BK B&H
03-08-2019, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian
jddwoods's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 917
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
A second vote for the Domke gripper. I have been using the 1.5Ē wide version with swivel since 2014. Best camera strap I have used and I have tried several brands. You canít beat Domke for simplicity, practicality, durability and performance. Domke 1.5" Web Camera Strap with Swivel Quick 742-1BK B&H
They are remarkably inexpensive for such high quality straps. I bought two of them, one in the smaller 1 inch width and one in the larger 1.5 inch width, both with the swivel. with the swivel part attached to the camera the straps become instantly interchangeable between no strap with a tripod, smaller strap with small lenses or wide strap for larger lenses. These are the best straps that I have tried and they don't add any bulk in a camera bag.

03-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,555
Original Poster
Thanks, I will look into them.
03-12-2019, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2018
Photos: Albums
Posts: 206
I was able to clean off the disintegrating rubber stuff from my strap by washing it in the sink for a while.
But yeah, you're better off buying a new strap. I also looked into the Domke strap, but apparently their quality has dropped a bit in the past couple years, judging from some reviews. Although, I'm unsure if that's true.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neck strap or hand strap? Both JimmyDranox Accessory and Memory Articles 18 04-02-2016 04:15 AM
To Strap or Not To Strap reivax Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 30 07-25-2012 05:32 PM
Goodbye to neck strap; Hello Wye Strap!!! philbaum Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 42 08-12-2010 01:39 PM
Strap to replace standard strap Mann Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 14 06-03-2009 09:35 PM
Cleaning my OpTech camera strap heatherslightbox Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 08-15-2008 05:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top