Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cleaning mucky camera strap?

Hi,
I have one K100Ds and one K-01 camera strap whose rubber has started to come off, and I run the risk of soiling my clothes if I don't put them on the other side (Pentax logo down), which is of course inconvenient.

Has anyone ever tried cleaning his/removing the rubberization, much in the same way some fellows tried to clean those pesky Sigma lenses from that sorry gummy paint?

TIA.

03-07-2019, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Hi,
I have one K100Ds and one K-01 camera strap whose rubber has started to come off, and I run the risk of soiling my clothes if I don't put them on the other side (Pentax logo down), which is of course inconvenient.

Has anyone ever tried cleaning his/removing the rubberization, much in the same way some fellows tried to clean those pesky Sigma lenses from that sorry gummy paint?

TIA.
I would just buy a new one. Replacement Pentax straps are readily available through B&H or Adorama in the US and likely in other countries as well. There are also lots of alternate options too. One that is similar in size, feel and weight as the original Pentax strap is the Domke gripper strap which is a good option.
03-08-2019, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I would just buy a new one. Replacement Pentax straps are readily available through B&H or Adorama in the US and likely in other countries as well. There are also lots of alternate options too. One that is similar in size, feel and weight as the original Pentax strap is the Domke gripper strap which is a good option.
A second vote for the Domke gripper. I have been using the 1.5Ē wide version with swivel since 2014. Best camera strap I have used and I have tried several brands. You canít beat Domke for simplicity, practicality, durability and performance. Domke 1.5" Web Camera Strap with Swivel Quick 742-1BK B&H
03-08-2019, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
A second vote for the Domke gripper. I have been using the 1.5Ē wide version with swivel since 2014. Best camera strap I have used and I have tried several brands. You canít beat Domke for simplicity, practicality, durability and performance. Domke 1.5" Web Camera Strap with Swivel Quick 742-1BK B&H
They are remarkably inexpensive for such high quality straps. I bought two of them, one in the smaller 1 inch width and one in the larger 1.5 inch width, both with the swivel. with the swivel part attached to the camera the straps become instantly interchangeable between no strap with a tripod, smaller strap with small lenses or wide strap for larger lenses. These are the best straps that I have tried and they don't add any bulk in a camera bag.

03-12-2019, 06:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, I will look into them.
03-12-2019, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #6

I was able to clean off the disintegrating rubber stuff from my strap by washing it in the sink for a while.
But yeah, you're better off buying a new strap. I also looked into the Domke strap, but apparently their quality has dropped a bit in the past couple years, judging from some reviews. Although, I'm unsure if that's true.