Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #46

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I enjoy both systems. The one cool advantage the EM1/Oly 60 macro has is the ability to do in camera automated focus stacking and automated focus bracketing captures. The in camera stacking is only 8 images, but if you use an external tool to stack them you can automate taking 999 images. My poor laptop would melt trying to merge 999 images I'm sure!

For my comparison I'd be sticking to simple single exposure shooting.
Oh, that's a pretty cool feature! Wish cameras could have more things like that.
Just put your laptop in the freezer, that'll keep it from melting!

Yeah, good to keep as many variables as you can identical when doing tests like that. It wouldn't hurt to compare the in-camera focus stacking of the E-M1 with the K-3 and an external tool.

03-13-2019, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ropuchy Quote
Optically, aren't pretty much all of the Pentax 100mm F2.8 Macro lenses the same? And thanks for the suggestion, I'll make sure to look at it when I've got the money to get one!
Back to the F version as mentioned. It starts to be price vs. features, but the size change at the "D" versions is definitely worth noting. It can be worth keeping an eye out for the older models, some crazy bargains definitely go by.

Oh, and thanks for all the lovely frog/toad/tadpole photos! I like your portable frog studio.
Thank you
03-13-2019, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #48

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Back to the F version as mentioned. It starts to be price vs. features, but the size change at the "D" versions is definitely worth noting. It can be worth keeping an eye out for the older models, some crazy bargains definitely go by.

Thank you
Oh yeah, the D FA versions are quite a bit smaller and lighter now that I look at them!
I've been trying to keep my lenses below 300-400g, and the D FA versions are right in there.
03-13-2019, 05:19 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Enjoyed the frog album

03-13-2019, 05:49 PM - 2 Likes   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Enjoyed the frog album
Yes, excellent frogs & toads! The re-creation shots are a cool idea, too.
03-13-2019, 07:33 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

Enjoyed the frog album
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Yes, excellent frogs & toads! The re-creation shots are a cool idea, too.
Thanks! The recreation things were a monthly theme at my local camera club inspired by the "Dear Photograph" book. Hmm, now that you've pointed them out, I might have to revisit the idea with some of my more recent interests...
03-14-2019, 08:44 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Veteran Member

You absolutely have to check this guy out. He even uses Pentax. He shows how many stunning and mesmerizing photos you can take with a cheap kit.
I found his channel after I got a mint 28/3.5 super tak with case for $35 on the fleaBay (with which you can use the M/A switch to compose, focus and then shoot). Just get a nice wide angle lens, add a reversing ring, cheap non-auto tubes, make a home made diffuser and start shooting!

https://www.youtube.com/user/terser

03-14-2019, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
You absolutely have to check this guy out. He even uses Pentax. He shows how many stunning and mesmerizing photos you can take with a cheap kit.
I found his channel after I got a mint 28/3.5 super tak with case for $35 on the fleaBay (with which you can use the M/A switch to compose, focus and then shoot). Just get a nice wide angle lens, add a reversing ring, cheap non-auto tubes, make a home made diffuser and start shooting!

Thomas Shahan - YouTube
Yes, I love Thomas Shahan's stuff and it certainly shows what you can do with a simple set-up. Very inspirational.
03-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #54

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote

Thomas Shahan - YouTube
Thank you for the link!
I watched his video on the Loawa 15mm Macro, and Methods in Macro Photography.

Hopefully the weather here clears up a bit soon, I'd like to go out and start taking photos of things!
03-14-2019, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ropuchy,

Have you considered using a reversed lens or microscope objective on extension tubes ? Depending on how much magnification you require it can be an inexpensive solution.

I'm experimenting with that myself. I recently picked up and Amscope 4X microscope object and mounted that on my bellows to shoot snowflakes. I picked up an RMS/M42 adapter which made it very easy to mount and I was very happy with the results.

Its designed to be used with a 160mm tube and when I mount it on that I get a horizontal FOV of about 5.5mm i.e. 4X.

I then tried reversing some of my Pentax lenses on the tubes using a reversing ring.

55mm gave me FOV of 9mm (2.6X)
35mm gave me FOV of 5mm (4.7X)
28mm gave me FOV of 4mm (5.9X)
15mm gave me FOV of 2mm (12X)

They all had pretty decent working distances, surely compared to regular microscope objectives.
I upload a test shot to Flickr

Top image was with a Pentax-A 100mm F2.8 Macro (1X).

For comparison the Lego 'button' is approx. 5mm across.

Hope that helps.
03-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #56

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
Ropuchy,

Have you considered using a reversed lens or microscope objective on extension tubes ? Depending on how much magnification you require it can be an inexpensive solution.

I'm experimenting with that myself. I recently picked up and Amscope 4X microscope object and mounted that on my bellows to shoot snowflakes. I picked up an RMS/M42 adapter which made it very easy to mount and I was very happy with the results.

Its designed to be used with a 160mm tube and when I mount it on that I get a horizontal FOV of about 5.5mm i.e. 4X.

I then tried reversing some of my Pentax lenses on the tubes using a reversing ring.

55mm gave me FOV of 9mm (2.6X)
35mm gave me FOV of 5mm (4.7X)
28mm gave me FOV of 4mm (5.9X)
15mm gave me FOV of 2mm (12X)

They all had pretty decent working distances, surely compared to regular microscope objectives.
I upload a test shot to Flickr

Top image was with a Pentax-A 100mm F2.8 Macro (1X).

For comparison the Lego 'button' is approx. 5mm across.

Hope that helps.
I haven't really considered it as a viable solution to what I want, but I do know of it being a very affordable option for high-magnification macro.
I was looking for a more convenient option. It's something I can see myself looking into later on, though!

That's a very nice photo of a snowflake. I like how it looks very symmetrical, but each side of the hexagon are slightly different.

And thanks for the sample photos!
Was the LEGO piece a blue platform, relatively thin and without stud holes on the bottom? I can't help but feel like it is, but I'm not sure!
03-14-2019, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was the LEGO piece a blue platform, relatively thin and without stud holes on the bottom? I can't help but feel like it is, but I'm not sure!
Yes, its flat and about 2" square with stud holes on the bottom, part of my grandson's collection. I thought it made a good test target.
03-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #58

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
Yes, its flat and about 2" square with stud holes on the bottom, part of my grandson's collection. I thought it made a good test target.
Ah ok, neat!
Makes me want to go dig out some of my old LEGO.
03-15-2019, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #59

Original Poster
Something like that toad is more like 1:2 or 1:3 so I would look for a cheap macro lens. Just saw a 50mm m f4 macro for $50 on ebay. Search Pentax macro and you can find one.
Tubes work best on short focal lengths because you need less. 50mm of tube for a 50mm is like 200mm tube on a 200mm lens. Tubes cost half what an old macro will cost.
You have some good info here from some good people.
My point here is if experimenting and tinkering is the better part do whatever. Tubes can go on all lenses with aperture ring so you can try many combos. If this stuff is more annoying then a cheap macro will bypass this but stick you with a single focal length.
Thanks to your suggestion, I've now got myself a Pentax-M 50mm F4 Macro!
It just arrived today and appears to be in very good condition.

And thank you, to everyone else who's been very helpful in expanding my knowledge on macro-ralated things!

I plan to eventually get a set of extension tubes and a nice flash. I'll continue to use my diopters, but won't have to rely on them nearly as much anymore.

Here's a photo of my cat's nose I took with the 50mm F4.