Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2008, 06:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Another bag thread

OK people. It's time to buy a bag and I need some advice from someone who has used the one(s) I am thinking about.

The medium Kata sling bag seemed ideal until I actually put it on. The strap was just too wimpy. Not long enough and not enough padding.

So that leaves me with the medium Tenba. Other than the creepy jingle on the website it seems pretty good.

I also like the Lowepro sling, also the medium one. And it fits me OK.

I have only been able to look online at the Mrock sling bag.

From what I have read here and other places the Pentax sling is too small for my needs (K10D, Grip, 1 zoom, 2 small lenses, 540 flash and lots of smaller gear and general junk).

Has anyone used any of the above? I know that issues arise after an item has been in use for a time. My last bag, a Tamrac LTD, has been with me for more than 20 years. My next bag will probably last that long as well. I want to know if there are any hidden flaws in any of the bags that we should all know about. Zippers, fraying material, bad velcro, hell - even smells that might appear after 6 months.

Last edited by THAN THE SWORD; 10-02-2008 at 07:17 PM.
10-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i have the slingshot 100, fits all my stuff well, but for some reason, i find that strap is the most uncomfortable thing, i tried adjusting the strap to fit loose, medium , tight, and it is still uncomfortable, as for the sling feature to whisp it in front of you to get to your camera, it a pain in the as_ to get the camera out
so i went back to shoulder type and ordered a Domke F3X on Monday and should get it by the end of next week

Dave
10-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
MSM
Veteran Member

Sword: I have the smaller M Rock. I like it. It is well built and the service was excellent. It's size is in between the Lowepro slingshot 100 and 200. It should easily carry the items listed in your sig. I don't get out in the rain much. But, the Mrock has a bag that covers the whole pack which may not be as good as the Lowepro as you can not continue to use the Mrock as a backpack with the nylon cover in place. the Lowepro you can.
10-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Lowepro 200. In many ways its a perfect bag for me, very comfortable and can (barely) hold what I normally carry (K20, DA*50-135, A*300, Viv 105 Macro, DA12-24, 540 flash and often the 77 Ltd. or a home-made extension tube. Or else I skip the flash and carry a K100 with the Limited or the kit lens mounted). It's a little too stuffed and I think my kit a little too heavy for it for extended daily use. I've had it probably 2 years now and the padding on the strap is starting to compress (not surprising as my bag weighs over 12 lbs) and the zipper stitching is coming apart at one corner due to me over-stuffing it (with manual and occasionally other things). It's still serviceable if I'm careful about the zipper. I think that's pretty good for a bag that's had fairly heavy usage (I carry it every day).

I'm really interested in getting something just a bit wider/bigger (or deeper if the bag is on its side) so I'm not over-stuffing it so much with the big, heavy lenses I carry. So I'm really sad to hear that the straps on the Kata are whimpy - that's one thing I need to watch out for since I'm carrying a fair amount of weight. I had high hopes for it (though I haven't yet found one). I was thinking about the largest one, but don't want to buy one until I actually see it - I know the Lowepro Slingshot 300 is too big for my small frame (and I don't want the hip strap for every day use).

I have seen M-Rock's other bags and products, just not their sling bags. I was really impressed with the quality of their other products, they seem really well padded and good construction. Their website gives their larger bag's dimensions differently than Lowepro does, but it appears that they are enough bigger that it would meet my needs, I think.

I've seen some shoulder bags that would be big enough for my equipment, but there's no way I can carry that much weight unless I carry it cross-shoulder.

If the Kata won't work, then I'm down to the M-Rock and just getting another Lowepro 200. While the M-Rock is a bit more expensive, that's the way I'll probably go.

10-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Which Kata bag are you referring too?

The latest Kata 3n1 bags are really the king of the hill for this type of backpack/sling bag. The 3n1 is actually both a backpack and sling bag. You can use it as a sling bag over the right or left shoulder as it has an entrance on both sides of the bag. You can wear it as a straight backpack, a sling bag or cross the straps so it is worn as a backpack but undoing one strap it now functions like a sling bag.

It is a really well thought out bag. Excellent materials. The release clips are large attached to metal rings. Has a rain cover that allows the bag to still be worn. Inside the bag all three sizes have the feature that the base of the top compartment can be unzipped allowing much larger lenses to be carried with a body attached.

The only drawback is at least on the smallest size only two outside pockets on either side of the top compartment. In no way is it a deal breaker though. All the pulls and zippers are of solid construction.

The sling bags are great but as an everyday bag they will kill your neck and shoulder over time. The Mrock Olympian is an excellent bag with a great shape and size but for everyday use ouch.
10-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote
OK people. It's time to buy a bag and I need some advice from someone who has used the one(s) I am thinking about.

The medium Kata sling bag seemed ideal until I actually put it on. The strap was just too wimpy. Not long enough and not enough padding.

I also like the Lowepro sling, also the medium one. And it fits me OK.

From what I have read here and other places the Pentax sling is too small for my needs (K10D, Grip, 1 zoom, 2 small lenses, 540 flash and lots of smaller gear and general junk).
QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
i have the slingshot 100, fits all my stuff well, but for some reason, i find that strap is the most uncomfortable thing, i tried adjusting the strap to fit loose, medium , tight, and it is still uncomfortable, as for the sling feature to whisp it in front of you to get to your camera, it a pain in the as_ to get the camera out
Dave
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Sword: I have the smaller M Rock. I like it. It is well built and the service was excellent. It's size is in between the Lowepro slingshot 100 and 200. It should easily carry the items listed in your sig. I don't get out in the rain much. But, the Mrock has a bag that covers the whole pack which may not be as good as the Lowepro as you can not continue to use the Mrock as a backpack with the nylon cover in place. the Lowepro you can.
QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I have the Lowepro 200. In many ways its a perfect bag for me, very comfortable and can (barely) hold what I normally carry (K20, DA*50-135, A*300, Viv 105 Macro, DA12-24, 540 flash and often the 77 Ltd. or a home-made extension tube. Or else I skip the flash and carry a K100 with the Limited or the kit lens mounted). I think that's pretty good for a bag that's had fairly heavy usage (I carry it every day).

I have seen M-Rock's other bags and products, just not their sling bags. I was really impressed with the quality of their other products, they seem really well padded and good construction. Their website gives their larger bag's dimensions differently than Lowepro does, but it appears that they are enough bigger that it would meet my needs, I think.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
The latest Kata 3n1 bags are really the king of the hill for this type of backpack/sling bag. The 3n1 is actually both a backpack and sling bag. You can use it as a sling bag over the right or left shoulder as it has an entrance on both sides of the bag. You can wear it as a straight backpack, a sling bag or cross the straps so it is worn as a backpack but undoing one strap it now functions like a sling bag.

It is a really well thought out bag. Excellent materials. The release clips are large attached to metal rings. Has a rain cover that allows the bag to still be worn. Inside the bag all three sizes have the feature that the base of the top compartment can be unzipped allowing much larger lenses to be carried with a body attached.

The only drawback is at least on the smallest size only two outside pockets on either side of the top compartment. In no way is it a deal breaker though. All the pulls and zippers are of solid construction.
I'm reading what you cats are puttin' down and I can dig it.

I'm gettin' attached to the Pentax sling bag but I just may keep the Lowepro 200 in wraps for future use should the Pentax bag some day become torn beyond repair or I grow out of it.
Those Kata backpack/sling bags look good though.
10-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the LowePro Slingshot 200AW, and like it. I wore it for about 6 hours at the zoo a few weeks ago, and while it didn't feel GREAT , it also didn't really bother me either. For the price I'd say it's a pretty good bag.

10-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting that some people don't find the Slingshot 200 very comfortable - I hike with it and carry it every day without any problem. I admit that the weight I pack in it can be a bit much after about 6 or 7 miles, but I would guess that anything other than a real backpack would be any better. But then, I'm a small female and it sits more on my derriere than my back, allowing a good portion of the weight to be carried by my hips/legs rather than my shoulder. I could see that a tall man might have more trouble with it.

Like anything else, trying before you buy is good advice.
10-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
I am still in the decision making mode.

The Kata mid-size sling bag is out, just a bad fit. Although I liked the video review I saw, when I tried it on it was not what I wanted.

The Pentax sling is also out from the review I have seen here and elsewhere.

The Lowepro 200 AW sling looks and feels good but there is just something about it.

The Tenba mid size sling fits the best (even with the strange jingle on the website).

And then there is the Mrock. It looks to be the best but the nearest dealer is in Dallas and that is just to far to drive for a peek. Does anyone know if there is ANYWHERE in the Houston area that carries the Mrock? I have been to Houston Camera Exchange, they had never heard of it. Same for the Camera Co-op.

Just an interesting fact - While exploring the Tenba website I found that they will custom design a bag to your specs. For the right price. Or they will put your logo on their bags.