Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SD Cards for K1.....

Ok, I've been shooting with the K3 & K5iis for years and have been very happy with my SanDisk Extreme Pro 64gb sd cards. Given that pixel shift images are reported to be ~150mb each, is going to 128gb warranted for this camera? If so, anything to look for or stay away from in SD-land these days?

03-18-2019, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

perhaps this article might be of interest:

Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers
Become a memory card expert
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jul 1, 2016

Read more at: Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

[ regarding size of SD cards - my local brick and mortar camera store can help if data is lost on an SD card but they warn that they recover and charge for all the data so they urge not using large cards or at least constantly formatting the SD cards so you aren't paying for data recovery that you don't need. ]
03-18-2019, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have used SanDisk, Transcend, Sony, Lexar, PNY and Delkin cards with no issues. I always purchase through B&H to insure that I am getting the real deal. If you are not going to use pixel shift a lot, then 64GB should be fine. After a day of shooting I always download the images to a laptop, and from there make another copy of them onto an external HD. Once the card is filled and all the images are downloaded, I format it and start over.

I also keep a few fresh cards on hand just in case of failure. If you are away from home it is just inexpensive insurance. Having backup card insures that the primary ones never fail. Without a backup card, the primary cards will always fail.
03-18-2019, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How much do you plan to use Pixel Shift? I have the K-3 II and I can tell you I've only used it to see what it can do. I am not big at lugging around a tripod. With that said and not owning the K-1 I would guess that your typical RAW file would be in the 40 - 50 meg range. So you should get somewhere around 1200 shots on a 64 GB card. That's a lot of shot's IMHO for a typical amateur. But if you are shooting big events there may be the need for the larger card. With the K-1 you have options of mirroring your card writing to them separately or writing raw to one and jpeg to the other. If you are doing paid work I personally would recommend mirroring the cards. As to the size I would probably go with 2 sets (4) 64 GB San Disk Extreme's. Just my 2 cents.

03-18-2019, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ok, I've been shooting with the K3 & K5iis for years and have been very happy with my SanDisk Extreme Pro 64gb sd cards. Given that pixel shift images are reported to be ~150mb each, is going to 128gb warranted for this camera? If so, anything to look for or stay away from in SD-land these days?
I would say yes. The 128Gb extreme pros are now cheaper than ever, and even if you don't fill them up all the way each time, it's nice to have the extra space IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered 2x128gb SanDisk SD cards.
03-18-2019, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

My average Value over 32000 raw PEF pictures is 46 MB
With Pixelshift raw it is 150 MB per picture

I'm using a 256 GB sandisk micro sdxc with an sd adapter from sanddisk.

Round about 5000 raw pictures will fit on the card.

Last edited by joergens.mi; 03-18-2019 at 10:07 PM.
03-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I rarely use pixel shift, and never get anywhere near filling my 64GB card in a day's shooting. I have a 32GB card in Slot 2 just in case.

The only reason I would think of using a 128 or 256 GB card would be for extended travel without backup. I would then upload each day's images to the laptop/portable HD, but leave the originals on the card as well for safety. A big card (or two) may serve for a trip of several weeks.
03-18-2019, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I'm doing a lot of photographs on concert's. There a total of 1500 pictures at an evening is quite normal. I filled up 64 GB Cards several times using the second card, and I don't want to think about wether both cards will get filled. Therefore I'm using 128 GB cards, none of them I got filled during one session.

Recently there was a real cheap advertisement for this 256 GB Card from sandisk and I give it a try. It works fine.

I would never go on a trip without a backup. I always take a laptop with me.
The daily results will be copied to the laptop and on a second external disk and the sd card gets formatted in the camera.

If there where a performand, energy saving way to copy in the camera from card one to two, it would be a easy way to backup with sd cards, but the build in mode is to slow and therfore using to much from the battery. Can I copy a 128 GB card with one battery with the build in mode - I never tried it?