Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not post a photo of your setup? I don't quite understand the "metal to metal" connection, when one end of the Joby is not metal.

04-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Why not post a photo of your setup? I don't quite understand the "metal to metal" connection, when one end of the Joby is not metal.
but that would make sense

hate to start that trend

Optech USA Utility strap ( attaches to the upper attachment point as does yours )

plus

JOBY UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate ( attaches the same upper attachment point and the ultra plate attaches to the tripod attachment point

plus

Joby Camera Tether linked by doubling with the sling and the metal clip running through the same metal upper attachment point ( metal to metal ) as a safety should anything break or come apart
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon PowerShot A1100 IS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-04-2019 at 11:02 AM.
04-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #18
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the photos.
07-05-2019, 10:29 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The Peak Design links are tested to each hold 200 pounds. Given that about a year ago the company replaced, free of charge (and with minimal verification) the version 2 of their anchors because of one single report of a link fraying under load, I'd be pretty confident about their claims. Peak design products are not cheap but they are quite reliable.
There's "reliable" and there's "trust worthy." I have a love/hate relationship with Peak Design products, specifically with their Slide system. The love side is their ergonomics are excellent. Especially when lugging around a D-FA 150-450 on a K-1 with a battery grip. The hate side is that I don't trust their link system. I experienced catastrophic failure after 30 days of usage of their link system (this was in 2017, see my review and photos at Peak Design Clutch reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database). After that failure, I tried other systems but the ergonomics of the Peak Design system couldn't be beat. So, like the OP, I devised a safety net system to work with the Peak Design Slide.

I use a Black Rapid tether at each PD link connection point (see photo)

BlackRapid TetheR-Nylon Smartphone Safety Tether System 275003

The key was to have a safety tether that didn't eliminate the quick flexibility of attaching or removing the PD Slide, or impede it's ergonomics. The BR tether is actually made for a cell phone or small camera but is quite strong, I've drop tested 50 lbs from 5' and they've held just fine. So for my purposes, these BR tethers add the peace of mind I needed to continue to use the PD link system.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6s  Photo 
07-06-2019, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

op/tech usa sell a Velcro safety connector that might be of interest

Secure and convenient method for locking a quick disconnect
Easy to attach
Soft hook and loops won't snag clothing or gear
Designed for use with Quick Disconnects (not for Mini QD)
Contains four pieces

The Secure-Its offers peace of mind for photographers using camera straps with quick disconnects. The easy-to-attach hook and loop tab loops around a quick disconnect and secures tightly.

Secure-Its - System Connectors | OP/TECH USA

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-06-2019 at 02:04 PM.
07-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
The Secure-Its offers peace of mind for photographers using camera straps with quick disconnects.
That's a great product. I've used it for other purposes. I did at one point entertain using Op/Tech's utility loop system connector as part of my tether system.

Utility Loop - System Connector | OP/TECH USA