Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2019, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Sling strap solution

After buying a BosStrap sling strap BosStrap Generation 3 Sliding Sling Strap (Black) BOSG315 B&H I have really enjoyed it as it allows you to keep your tripod mount plate attached to your camera for quick mounting of the camera to your tripod. I discovered it wasn't quite so quick though as the procedure required to take the strap loose from the camera required a rather fiddly strap operation. So, I decided to get a couple of Peak Design AL-4 anchor link sets Peak Design AL-4 Anchor Links AL-4 B&H Photo Video Thanks to several members who said they used Peak Design products. I also bought extra anchor connectors Peak Design Anchor Connectors for Peak Design Straps 4PK-AN-4 .
After looking at the connectors and the rather thin "cord" I decided to use two connectors to support my not so heavy K-3 and lens. I did this out of an abundance of caution since the K-3 is my primary camera until at least when the next APS-C high spec DSLR is released. The beauty of the BosStrap system is it uses the existing camera neck strap attaching points rather than the usual base plate screw hole (which has the possibility to come unscrewed) to carry the camera and can be mounted to either the left or the right attaching point and using the Peak Design AL-4 anchor link sets makes detaching the strap a breeze. The camera hangs at your hip with the lens pointed toward the rear and reaching down with your right hand to grasp the camera grip and bringing it up to shooting position is a breeze. The metal slide slides up the strap so there is no having to move the strap to get the camera into shooting position.

I've attached some photos of the setup and it may look like overkill but I'm satisfied with its safety. So thanks to eveyone who turned me on to the Peak Design connectors.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
03-19-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice.
Having redundancy is never a bad idea!!
I am always paranoid of them breaking while running up and down the field with my K1 + 70-200.
I really should look into finding a way to attach another set.
03-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Nice.
Having redundancy is never a bad idea!!
I am always paranoid of them breaking while running up and down the field with my K1 + 70-200.
I really should look into finding a way to attach another set.
Are you attaching to the strap lugs on the camera? If you are then you should be able to double everything up for some more security.
03-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice set up

what works for you is best

I have chosen to use these

Optech USA Utility strap ( attaches to the upper attachment point as does yours )

plus

JOBY UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate ( attaches the same upper attachment point and the ultra plate attaches to the tripod attachment point but allows a tripod to attach to it if I want to but really no need to as shown by video )

plus

Joby Camera Tether linked by doubling with the sling and the metal clip running through the same metal upper attachment point ( metal to metal ) as a safety should anything break or come apart

it hangs cross body off my right side the hand strap allows me to control any swinging as I walk and to take weight off my shoulder should I want to

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-20-2019 at 02:44 AM.
03-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Overkill on the connectors.
03-20-2019, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
nice set up

what works for you is best

I have chosen to use these

Optech USA Utility strap ( attaches to the upper attachment point as does yours )

plus

JOBY UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate ( attaches the same upper attachment point and the ultra plate attaches to the tripod attachment point but allows a tripod to attach to it if I want to but really no need to as shown by video )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=M1qItPKbkUw plus

Joby Camera Tether linked by doubling with the sling and the metal clip running through the same metal upper attachment point ( metal to metal ) as a safety should anything break or come apart

it hangs cross body off my right side the hand strap allows me to control any swinging as I walk and to take weight off my shoulder should I want to
I have a Joby hand strap and I use back button focus. I tried to find a way to use the hand strap and never could get comfortable with the strap and the way it "forced" me to hold the grip and then reposition my hand to use BBF, so its sitting in my camera stuff drawer now.

Last edited by Larrymc; 03-20-2019 at 05:34 AM.
03-20-2019, 05:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Overkill on the connectors.
Paul, if that comment was for me, the way I look at it is it's a redundant system with half the load on the little cords and clips of the Peak Design connectors. Plus its not in my way when I shoot and they are easy to disconnect , so its exactly what I was wanting.

03-20-2019, 06:15 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I have a Joby hand strap and I use back button focus. I tried to find a way to use the hand strap and never could get comfortable with the strap and the way it "forced" me to hold the grip and then reposition my hand to use BBF, so its sitting in my camera stuff drawer now.
hmm

I also use the back AF button on the K 3 and K 3 II and have no problems

unless I miss the button with my thumb that is
03-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Paul, if that comment was for me, the way I look at it is it's a redundant system with half the load on the little cords and clips of the Peak Design connectors. Plus its not in my way when I shoot and they are easy to disconnect , so its exactly what I was wanting.
The rated load capacity on those connectors is 90.7 kg. That is a lot of redundancy, even with a K1+DFA 150-450.
03-20-2019, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The rated load capacity on those connectors is 90.7 kg. That is a lot of redundancy, even with a K1+DFA 150-450.
Like I said, they are exactly what I wanted. Plus it looks cool

Last edited by Larrymc; 03-21-2019 at 07:22 PM.
03-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice looking! I may consider going this route. Right now, I have this safety setup; however, not the best looking!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
03-25-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Nice setup.

The Peak Design links are tested to each hold 200 pounds. Given that about a year ago the company replaced, free of charge (and with minimal verification) the version 2 of their anchors because of one single report of a link fraying under load, I'd be pretty confident about their claims. Peak design products are not cheap but they are quite reliable.
03-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I just ordered 2 of these, to replace my leather "holders".

Joby Camera Tether for Pro Sling Strap JB01307 B&H Photo Video
04-04-2019, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #14
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are the Joby tethers. Not bulky, but will do the job.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-04-2019, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Here are the Joby tethers. Not bulky, but will do the job.
having had a fabric strap tear on a sharp edge of the attachment to the camera, I rig my Jody tether so there is metal to metal contact only

opposite the way CSA does it

nothing wrong with that method, I am just being very cautious and I check that the " D " ring is always closed all the way